Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Styled Model L and of course missing the tag. It has the Hercules engine, stamped steel rear rims, and top shift trans, so I gather it is a 1939? Where is the serial tag on the engine? Any other way to ID it? Still trying to find some good info on these, such as manuals and such.
Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
IW, Not sure what year it is, but I'm fairly certain it's not a '39. I had a '39...second owner, my Uncle was the first!... and lost it through a divorce about 12 years ago. Mine had a straight shift lever, maybe 10" high and I see your has a bent shift lever and much longer. That lever may be a way to narrow down the year.

Also, a word of caution! The shift lever tends to collect rain water that runs down to the rubber boot and finally into tranny! If it's not kept under cover, apply silicone sealant where the lever goes into boot.

Tractor looks great and brings back many memories, Bob

·
Registered
222 Posts
Im not good enough to look at a single side shot of an L to know much about them, but you can always go to deeres parts website and bring up the L and start looking at specifics to try and narrow it down to a range. i tried to do that for you for a little bit, but, i stopped and am now passing that information on to you HAHA

let us know what year you end up with

side note, i have two L's, both have serial tags still on them. ill post a pic if your interested...they arent much to look at but they are funny in their current state

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best I can tell by the shifter lever and being styled, it is an earlier 39 between serial 626265 and 628999. Haven't noticed anything else odd, except it seems to have the early exhaust manifold without the flange and the extension pipe welded to it.

·
Premium Member
5,755 Posts
Nice looking "L"! :good2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts