Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From another thread it appears there are a few Model Railroaders on here.

This is my 2nd layout, is approximately 16x18, but will grow to 22x28 in the near future as I'm finishing my basement and one whole side is dedicated to the trains. My kids love running them as I'm working on the layout. All started way back in 1978 when my Dad gave me my first set when I was 5 (I still have that set in running order)

Here are some overall pictures of the layout while being constructed. Maximum grade is 2.7% inside the helix which is used to climb from one level to another. Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks amazing! I have many good memories with my father and model trains.

·
Administrator
20,674 Posts
This deserves a "You suck" because I'm officially jealous. That's cool!!!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
41 years young and I still like playing with my toys.:laugh:

·
Administrator
20,674 Posts
Are you kidding? I have a big 'ol box full of parts and cars!

One of the members, rrmccabe, has in his signature, "a hobby that cost money, sign me up" or something similar. :lol: I guess we think alike...

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
X2. But seriously cool. I will admit I miss it.
Once I expand this will be a true multi-level layout. Continuous running around the perimeter on the upper level (mainly farm scenes, etc.) and more mountainous/city type scenery on the lower. I have a 4' long ore dock that I have to build and will have a waterfront area that will take about 12-16' in length.

I need to sketch up the expansion and I'll post the layout plan.

Check this one out - this is in the basement of one of my father's train buddies. You can see videos on youtube - search Andy Keeney's Nashville Road. With all of the rolling stock, controls, etc. it wouldn't surprise me if this guy is into 6 figures spent (full computer control/dispatch)

4 levels point to point operation. It takes a train running at scale speed 30 minutes to run from end to end without stopping. During operating sessions they'll have 20-25 people running trains, yards, etc. It's run just like a real RR with timetables, waybills, etc.

Attachments

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Once I expand this will be a true multi-level layout. Continuous running around the perimeter on the upper level (mainly farm scenes, etc.) and more mountainous/city type scenery on the lower. I have a 4' long ore dock that I have to build and will have a waterfront area that will take about 12-16' in length.

I need to sketch up the expansion and I'll post the layout plan.

Check this one out - this is in the basement of one of my father's train buddies. You can see videos on youtube - search Andy Keeney's Nashville Road. With all of the rolling stock, controls, etc. it wouldn't surprise me if this guy is into 6 figures spent (full computer control/dispatch)

4 levels point to point operation. It takes a train running at scale speed 30 minutes to run from end to end without stopping. During operating sessions they'll have 20-25 people running trains, yards, etc. It's run just like a real RR with timetables, waybills, etc.

:flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce:Now I'm jealous. Six figures easy. When I first got into model railroading I was buying locomotives for 20 bucks, cars for 3. Now a brass model of a 4884 Northern steam engine can top 500 easy!!! I've seen HO scale steam locomotives with sound for over 1500 bucks!!! For what it's worth, the digital command control setups are so cool. The layout in the pictures shows a pretty close depiction of what I had planned.

·
Premium Member
7,674 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,410 Posts
Looks amazing! I have many good memories with my father and model trains.
Great thread and thanks for sharing!
Wow, another back in the day memory thread for me.
All we had was a small train track that my father would set up under the Christmas tree every year and we would all watch the train go around the base of the tree.
Impressive/Majestic stuff right here, thanks for sharing sstlaure.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,410 Posts
41 years young and I still like playing with my toys.:laugh:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. Just Sayin!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone - glad to see you like it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
HO Model Railroading

50 Plus years Model Railroad Craftsman. 24x28 layout. Worked mostly Fall/Winter months. Work the Deere the other months. I Pretty much conclud the layout will never be finished. Here is a picture of my yard area looking south towards the round house which as interior lighting and detailed to look like a working shop. All buildings are custom built painted, weathered and detailed to reflect the 1920 to 1930 erra.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Love the steamer servicing center and the nice big roundtable and I LOVE the steam engines. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,674 Posts
50 Plus years Model Railroad Craftsman. 24x28 layout. Worked mostly Fall/Winter months. Work the Deere the other months. I Pretty much conclud the layout will never be finished. Here is a picture of my yard area looking south towards the round house which as interior lighting and detailed to look like a working shop. All buildings are custom built painted, weathered and detailed to reflect the 1920 to 1930 erra.
Neat stuff! I had occasion to try and find a Floquil and Poly-S color charts only to learn Testor's bought them out and discontinued the paints. :thumbsdown::mad:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Floquil paints

The die hard old and new timers been fired up for years about the paint situation. A lot of the old times changed over to te generic craft paints like Michaels and ACMore carry. Some been hoarding fo years looking and buying at train show.The Driftwood stain got real interesting when that was discontinued. One of the Masters George Selios Of Fine scale miniatures, used as a base coat. He has a major following and some say the best at master kits. The Driftwood 1 oz bottles sold for big money on ebay. Retail the bottle cost 2.99. Ebay went for more than $30.00 a bottle. There are substitutes for obtaining the same coloring on buildings. What you miss is the coverage Floquil had in the using fine pigment with air brush painting.

·
Premium Member
7,674 Posts
What you miss is the coverage Floquil had in the using fine pigment with air brush painting.
That's what I really liked about their paint.

With the exception of model railroading, I think the golden-age of modeling that I enjoyed in the 60's through early 80's is over. The last time I was in a hobby shop I noticed the selection of car, truck, plane, and military armor kits wasn't as extensive as it was when I was an active model maker.

But when I go to Caboose Hobbies on occasion the train stuff seems just as extensive as ever. For Testor's (a RPM company) to make such a bonehead decision to dump Floquil & Poly-S and pissing off the last large segment of the modeling hobby is downright stupid.

I liked Floquil and Britain's Humbrol paints for the color coats, and Poly-S for weathering as it was water based.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts