Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else here into model railroading.

I finally got the train up around the tree this year.

Hopefully sometime in the next year or two I’ll be able to have the time to build a new HO scale layout.

And I’d love to get my great grandparents Lionel operational again.

And of course LEGO trains rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My n-scale layout my father built me when I was a kid.

Finally got it running again.
My N-Scale layout - YouTube

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do Live Steam, I only have one engine right now. 1/13.7 Accucraft Emma it runs on G scale track. My friend and I setup a live steam train display every year for our Fire Company Breakfast with Santa. We lay the track on top of some tables and run the trains from 7-12. Its a lot of fun we don't put a lot of effort into setup due to it being only up for 5 hours just some building's and a few fake trees. I am designing a trailer that would be a mobile train display that would fit through the double doors and be set up. It's this Sunday 12/16/18 at the Reese VFC in Westminster MD 7-12

Also train displays are slowly becoming fewer, so its nice even for one day

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I had a train set as a kid - HO gauge, I believe. Dad built me a basic layout in our basement rec room. My sister (oldest of us kids) also had a Lionel train set that was a gift to her, probably for her first or second Christmas ('54 or '55). That thing was pretty cool!! I hope she still has it.

The pics below aren't my trains, but at one of the assisted living places my parents used to live at they had a display of "Suitcase Train Sets" one time. Lots of imagination goes into these things. I only took pics of one of them. Not sure why I focused on this one.... :laugh:

20160612_125619.jpg

20160612_125629.jpg

20160612_125634.jpg

20160612_130121.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
I remember when I was growing up in the 40's and 50's, that I wanted a train set in the worst way. Money being what it was for us, and then during WWII, you couldn't buy anything even if you had money. My uncles had a Marx Commodore Vanderbilt set that they played with, and I was so envious. They told me it cost $14.00 for the set, new, but I think it was probably around $8.00 or $9.00 actually.

I never realized my desire for a train set; by the time I was old enough to work and earn money, I was more interested in buying my own clothes, chasing girls, playing guitar an buying a car. I did buy a set off the internet, a Marx Commodore Vanderbilt set, about 20 years ago, and still have it. Hooked it up once, and it has some problems, so it's still in the box stored down in the shop.

·
Super Moderator
5,450 Posts
I used to be very heavy into HO model railroading. I had what you would call a basement empire! I haven't been involved in well over 25 years though. I still have most everything. I'm going to have to start thinking about parting ways with everything though.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’d really like to build a version of this. In HO scale. I have a lot of old PFM Brass PRR Locomotives and rolling stock.

Have to get the basement fixed up first though.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
As a kid I had an HO layout, but only had that going for a few years.
I had a friend whos dad was into modeling, of all kinds, and the things he did were amazing. Made mine look like cheap junk by comparison, but he had the talent and I didnt.
Since then, Ive just toyed around with it here and there, but until this year, only with an old Lionel set.
This year I finally bought a Lionel Polar Express set for the tree.
The things these new trains can do is amazing to me. The sounds, the control, etc. All very impressive. My old trains could not operate at low speeds reliably. The new ones can. Between that and the sounds built in, well, I sure wish this kind of thing was around when I had the room to have a big layout!
Now its just a Christmas time thing.

Of course when we went to Disney last Summer, I saw a couple outdoor sets they have set up, and that caught my attention. They are expensive, but Ive got PLENTY of room outside for a train, LOL!

·
Registered
76 Posts

If you're going to get that old lionel working again, PLEASE don't start by just trying it out. The grease in those old locomotives crystallizes over time,
and if you apply power and force things to turn, you'll destroy it. It needs to be cleaned FIRST, then re-lubricated, then tested.
(My brother used to run a model RR specialty shop, and in high school I worked on repairs during breaks - saw some beautiful old units ruined by this, and parts
are probably not available - From 40+ year old memory, that looks like an early post-WWII unit - probably quite valuable if properly restored).

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
My dad bought me a lionel train when I was 5 for Christmas. That was 1958. I still have this train set up on a shelf in my living room (post and beam house) and if it was set up on the floor it would still run. I have a friend named Dan Bigda who traveled with Neil Young for years and what most people do not know is Neil owns Lionel.. He is train fanatic.. I mentioned Dan's name because dan is senior managing partner of the M4 capital group who leases and owns most of the railcars in the USA. He also used to set up Neil's trains before a concert and ran the trains during the concert along with doing the announcing at the concerts. Dan is a regular at the Rock N roll Barn that I Own. I love trains but no longer have the time to put into it. If I did My barn would be full. I jump in feet first with certain things not head first and actually think about it.. Good for you guys who have the passion and willingness to keep the hobby afloat.... It's a great hobby. Keep on railroading. :good2:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

If you're going to get that old lionel working again, PLEASE don't start by just trying it out. The grease in those old locomotives crystallizes over time,
and if you apply power and force things to turn, you'll destroy it. It needs to be cleaned FIRST, then re-lubricated, then tested.
(My brother used to run a model RR specialty shop, and in high school I worked on repairs during breaks - saw some beautiful old units ruined by this, and parts
are probably not available - From 40+ year old memory, that looks like an early post-WWII unit - probably quite valuable if properly restored).
Thanks. It was from Christmas of 1928. It was wrapped in these newspapers. Still is.

We have a model RR shop fairly close by that specializes in these old Lionel’s. I’ll take it there to get it fixed up.

The accessory book.

And the Box. For some reason in this hobby the box holds a lot of value.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I’d really like to build a version of this. In HO scale. I have a lot of old PFM Brass PRR Locomotives and rolling stock.

Have to get the basement fixed up first though.

A real long time ago I went back east to PA on a Train. Road on the Super Chief and in PA I rode on the Eire Lackawanna. That was a neat train back then. Road the Old Tramway in Pittsburg this was in the late 50s in the early 60s I lived in Zelleiopal, PA near Harmony spelt wrong on my Uncles Farm when my Dad pasted away. Stayed there for a year and loved it! My Grandfather worked on the Pittsburg Tubes when they were being built! My family roots are from PA originally till we moved to the West Coast.

I would love to set up a rail around my ceiling to hold a Train Set. You could make some nice tracks out of wood and have it work with remote controls. It would drive the cats crazy!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow! If it's in running condition, or even close, with the box and everything, that set will probably
sell for as much as a new JD.....

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
My dad bought me a lionel train when I was 5 for Christmas. That was 1958. I still have this train set up on a shelf in my living room (post and beam house) and if it was set up on the floor it would still run. I have a friend named Dan Bigda who traveled with Neil Young for years and what most people do not know is Neil owns Lionel.. He is train fanatic.. I mentioned Dan's name because dan is senior managing partner of the M4 capital group who leases and owns most of the railcars in the USA. He also used to set up Neil's trains before a concert and ran the trains during the concert along with doing the announcing at the concerts. Dan is a regular at the Rock N roll Barn that I Own. I love trains but no longer have the time to put into it. If I did My barn would be full. I jump in feet first with certain things not head first and actually think about it.. Good for you guys who have the passion and willingness to keep the hobby afloat.... It's a great hobby. Keep on railroading. :good2:
Wasn't aware of that, but that's pretty cool. He actually owns 20% of the company but it appears as though he's made some pretty significant contributions to the product evolution.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I never heard of any tradition of Christmas and model trains until we moved to Baltimore. They had a nice setup at a local mall there every year, and it seemed to be a fairly common thing. Is that a northeast tradition, or it it more widespread? I never saw it growing up in NC...

1 - 20 of 157 Posts