Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share some things I have done and made that may help others out. I'd like to see other great ideas as well.

One of my commonly used tools in the shop is a 3/8 inch air hose for spark plug installs. I would find that a true spark plug socket wouldn't separate from the plug when trying to install. They really work great for getting them out however. The hose works great for really deep inside plugs and you reduce the risk of cross threading. Then i can finish the install with a straight walled socket.

The plugs actually seat about 6 inches below this valve cover on this car.

Another way I have helped saved some frustration no matter how small was to mark on my flat ratchet wrenches which side will actually tighten or loosen a fastener. It may seem trivial but its nice to just put it on right the first time. These are the kind that have to flipped to change direction. I use these more often than ratcheting wrenches with the 15 degree offsets.

I'm sure I'll find a few other things around shop that I have forgotten and add to the list.

·
Super Moderator
3,135 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
You have debris in your bucket!

·
Registered
24,082 Posts
I thought I would share some things I have done and made that may help others out. I'd like to see other great ideas as well.

One of my commonly used tools in the shop is a 3/8 inch air hose for spark plug installs. I would find that a true spark plug socket wouldn't separate from the plug when trying to install. They really work great for getting them out however. The hose works great for really deep inside plugs and you reduce the risk of cross threading. Then i can finish the install with a straight walled socket.

View attachment 761731

The plugs actually seat about 6 inches below this valve cover on this car.

View attachment 761732

Another way I have helped saved some frustration no matter how small was to mark on my flat ratchet wrenches which side will actually tighten or loosen a fastener. It may seem trivial but its nice to just put it on right the first time. These are the kind that have to flipped to change direction. I use these more often than ratcheting wrenches with the 15 degree offsets.

View attachment 761733

I'm sure I'll find a few other things around shop that I have forgotten and add to the list.
These are great ideas!

·
Super Moderator
3,135 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've used rubber hose for the recessed spark plugs. I don't do it often enough to make a regular tool for it. I like the idea of marking the racheting wrenches. In my case I'll probably just put an 'X' on the take it off side. Less etching. I have done many quickies for things then promptly forgotten them. Next time I might Polack it a different way. Sometimes better, sometimes not. Some take several different tries to get it done. Perserverance and imagination are keys.
Since I try to fix everything I have a lot of tools for many trades. Some find uses they never seemed to consider before. Whatever works.

·
Registered
24,082 Posts
I like the idea of marking the racheting wrenches. In my case I'll probably just put an 'X' on the take it off side. Less etching.
You gave me an idea to simply mark mine with a paint pen since I have a new set and don’t have an etching tool. Yeah, it might wear off but my tools don’t get a whole lot of use anymore and they sit in my tool box drawer separately on a foam pad.

·
Super Moderator
3,135 Posts
The ratchet wrenches I have and seen have the open end fingers angled one way. Mine are pointed towards the way that the ratchet applies force. Meaning if the fingers are pointing clockwise, the ratchet portion tightens, and vice versa. I have seen them where that is opposite though, like in Jimmy's picture above. Once I know the direction of force, I can put the wrench on correctly in near dark situations.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have my garage tools, workshop tools, specialty tools and wandering toolbag tools. I even have a junkyard toolbox though I haven't been to one in several years. Some tool types are duplicated across the range like screw drivers, wrenches, pliers and some sockets. Of course, gotten at different times and sometimes different places, each has their own personality. I may go a while before using any of them these days. Not because everything works perfectly, just because I am short of TUITs of any shape. Too old too fast. My ToDo list is up to volume 6 now.

Speaking of tool personalities, have you ever gone for a tool you saw just a few minutes ago and can't find it. You look everywhere you have been today, where you usually keep it, on counters, in bags and boxes, virtually everywhere. You even get others to look for you if they are around. Since you need it right now you run out and get a new one. When you go to put the new one away there is the old one, right where you looked 6 times and couldn't find it. In my case there might be 4 old ones at that point all laughing at me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have my garage tools, workshop tools, specialty tools and wandering toolbag tools. I even have a junkyard toolbox though I haven't been to one in several years. Some tool types are duplicated across the range like screw drivers, wrenches, pliers and some sockets. Of course, gotten at different times and sometimes different places, each has their own personality. I may go a while before using any of them these days. Not because everything works perfectly, just because I am short of TUITs of any shape. Too old too fast. My ToDo list is up to volume 6 now.

Speaking of tool personalities, have you ever gone for a tool you saw just a few minutes ago and can't find it. You look everywhere you have been today, where you usually keep it, on counters, in bags and boxes, virtually everywhere. You even get others to look for you if they are around. Since you need it right now you run out and get a new one. When you go to put the new one away there is the old one, right where you looked 6 times and couldn't find it. In my case there might be 4 old ones at that point all laughing at me.
Yeah i feel that. I have house tools. Garage tools. Basic tools in each vehicle. And tools for my job. I cant keep up with everything. I opened a drawer a few days ago to find 4 measuring tapes that i couldnt find any a week before. o_O

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts

I drilled a bigger hole in my air compressor chuck holder to accommodate my gauge

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Inside the house, the girls are always misplacing all of the dozens of hairbrushes we have. (Thats considered a tool, right?) So I crimped cable to them and anchored to the wall of the bathroom. The disappearances have stopped 🤣

·
Registered
24,082 Posts
Inside the house, the girls are always misplacing all of the dozens of hairbrushes we have. (Thats considered a tool, right?) So I crimped cable to them and anchored to the wall of the bathroom. The disappearances have stopped
Tethered hair brushes - awesome!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Tools have hidden legs and will hide to avoid the light. Everyone knows that. :)
I'm pretty sure the squirrels carry some of mine off when I'm working outside. They disappear pretty quickly.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts