Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
All those missing tools are hiding with the missing socks from the laundry...

·
Registered
24,088 Posts
Not so much tools but bolts, nuts, and small parts disappear when I am working on something. Tear something apart in the house. Start to put it back together - now where is that #### bolt or nut that I kept in a nice pile off to the side?

Turns out that my Border Collie was stealing them when I wasn’t looking. He must have been in full stealth mode as I never saw or heard him in the room.

Now I have to always bring some type of a container with a lid with me - or put the parts up somewhere out of his reach. What a pain as I don’t always remember to do this.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,087 Posts
Not so much tools but bolts, nuts, and small parts disappear when I am working on something. Tear something apart in the house. Start to put it back together - now where is that #### bolt or nut that I kept in a nice pile off to the side?

Turns out that my Border Collie was stealing them when I wasn’t looking. He must have been in full stealth mode as I never saw or heard him in the room.

Now I have to always bring some type of a container with a lid with me - or put the parts up somewhere out of his reach. What a pain as I don’t always remember to do this.
I had a pet crow that would do that very thing. If I was using something he had to have it.
Peter.jpg

·
Registered
515 Posts
Chains are the worst for disappearing. I spray them with fluorescent orange paint and they still disappear. I usually have to buy at least one new one per year.
I lost a 20’ chain off the loader while mowing with the rotary cutter a few years ago. I noticed when I finished cutting that it was gone so I had a really good idea where it would be, somewhere in an area about 100’x 200’. I walked all over that area multiple times, had my wife and son looking. Used a big heavy magnet on a stick and walked all over it again. I gave up that day but would continue looking for it occasionally. Then one day about a year later- There it was all stretched out across the ground! I had to have walked over that thing 30 times!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've had many occasions to remove things that are "stuck"...an electrical box jammed into a baseboard, cotter pins, keys, seals, and too many more to list! So I made a puller:

As you can see, I had an old pair of vise grips complete with weld spatter, rust, and flaking plating! But this thing works GREAT!
Start by removing your adjusting screw and identify the threads, some are SAE, some are Metric. Get a piece of threaded rod about 2 feet long with the same thread and grind the treads smooth so that the rod threads into the handle and acts like the adjust screw. I had a coupling nut, so I used that with a short screw TIGHT in the end. I was working at the time and "located" a piece of stock to drill and use as a sliding weight...about 3" dia. x 6" long. Use your imagination to make a slider to suit you!

If what ever your trying to pull will fit the jaws of the vise grip, this WILL work! I use sheetrock or sheetmetal screws to pull seals (or minor dents in sheet metal parts)! Bob

·
Registered
820 Posts
[QUO

[/QUOTE]
I had a Rottwieler that used to pick up tools, cell phones, channel changers, anything she could hold hostage for a dog cookie. You didn't dare try to grab it or she'd chomp down on the item. Got so you didn't do anything around the house without a few cookies in your pocket.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I attach chuck keys to my drill press, metal lathe, etc. with retractable key chain reels. (They are also available with magnetic mounts.)

I also made a notch in an extra hex wrench to help me remove router table plate inserts when clearance around the bit is too tight for other tools.

When I don't have the correct security bit set during repairs, I use a rotary tool & belt sander to modify an existing flat, Phillips, or square screwdriver bit. With patience, practically any shape is possible.

For several other ideas, see also:

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Love the mullet Gizmo

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I attach chuck keys to my drill press, metal lathe, etc. with retractable key chain reels. (They are also available with magnetic mounts.)
View attachment 762111

I also made a notch in an extra hex wrench to help me remove router table plate inserts when clearance around the bit is too tight for other tools.
View attachment 762112

When I don't have the correct security bit set during repairs, I use a rotary tool & belt sander to modify an existing flat, Phillips, or square screwdriver bit. With patience, practically any shape is possible.

For several other ideas, see also:
Just made one of those "hook" thingys yesterday. I had a long T-handle allen wrench that I somehow acquired and had never used, so it got donated to the cause. I needed to get behind a rear light on my trailer to pull it out to find out why it would not work. Sure enough 4 white ground wires were no longer connected plus the turn/stop lamp was also no longer connected. Same problem on one of the side running lights. All fixed now.

Dave

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,713 Posts
One of my commonly used tools in the shop is a 3/8 inch air hose for spark plug installs.
JW, that's old technology. Let's move on.

I've got shelf brackets with the closet bar hooks on the end for hanging a weed trimmer. Works quite well
Did that at my last shop. Nothing new here to see.

I have a block of wood by my stationary air compressor for the small stuff.
I have a drawer in my tool box dedicated to those same item. (y)

That's what I'm talking about. (y)
--------------------

Sadly, I have nothing to add to this thread at this time.

Jimmy Walker, thanks for starting this thread. (y) Very useful ideas.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
When you have a key that you cant find a blank for. Its time to bust out a 2mm thick shim and a micro die grinder.
This key actually works as well as the original

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
This isn't really a tool, and I didn't get to use it much this season due to Covid restrictions, but...

A trumpet mouthpiece and a Harbor Freight funnel make a cheap, dent-proof, and surprisingly effective bugle for cheering on the local high school football team. (It also gives me a bit more sitting room because my wife seems to go to the concession stand or bathroom everytime I get ready to play charge...)

20201120_182839.jpg

·
Registered
718 Posts
I had to get a remote hose clamp tool to work on an Intrepid in the basement of the local mall. Ever see one of those tools? It was $50 when I got it, only about $15 now. That was the only time I needed it, of course.

·
Registered
24,088 Posts
I had to get a remote hose clamp tool to work on an Intrepid in the basement of the local mall. Ever see one of those tools? It was $50 when I got it, only about $15 now. That was the only time I needed it, of course.

View attachment 762720
When I used to do a lot of work on our VW TDI’s this tool was indispensable. I still use it even for easy to access clamps - it just works.

Reactions: mark02tj

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Tools have hidden legs and will hide to avoid the light. Everyone knows that. :)
Just like extension cords that get tangled up when unused. They have a life of their own.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Don't forget the hoses. I think they are kin to extension cords. Then there are the chains.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts