Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

It's probably past leaf collection time for most people, but I thought I'd share the quick modification I made to my MCS last week.

On the 1026r, the MCS bagger attaches via a large bracket that bolts onto the drawbar. It works fine, but considering how easy it is to remove all of the other attachments on the tractor, the MCS setup leaves a lot to be desired.

I've seen others complain about the setup in the past, and I even heard someone mention converting the bagger to attach via a trailer hitch receiver.

At first I tried to come up with a way to attach the bagger to the 3-point hitch, which is the way the older versions of the MCS attached. Unfortunately, when accounting for my quick hitch, the bagger would have been moved back around 8" - which means there would be no quick and easy way to make the change.

So I came up with a simpler solution - I removed the stock drawbar plate and drilled four holes to mount a bolt-on "bumper" receiver. I then measured the distance for the MCS mount, marked, and then cut the bracket off. I welded a small steel plate on the end of the remaining bracket, and then welded on a cut-off hunk of 2" square tube I had laying around. I drilled the tube for the retaining pin before welding everything up.

The end result is a much easier to install system. With the old setup I had to remove my quick hitch, install the drawbar bracket with the bolts, connect the top link, and then muscle the top of the bagger onto the bracket. Mounting the top of the bagger was a pain, because you can't really see what you're doing and the thing is fairly heavy. With the modification I still have to remove the quick hitch and connect the top link, but I don't have to split the bagger into two parts. Basically I just slide the mount into the receiver, pop the pin in, and then connect the top link.

I'll try to get a few pictures tonight if anyone is interested.

Btw - the receiver hitch trick wasn't my idea - someone else suggested doing this - I just don't recall who...

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Let's see those pics! :munch:

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Post some pictures! I am most definitely interested!!:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so here are a few photos of the modifications to the bagger bracket:

This is a shot of the final product after welding. The piece lying next to the bracket is the portion that I cut off the original bracket.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351728720.352441.jpg

Here's a shot of the completed bracket. I welded a small square of 1/4" plate onto the end of the original bracket and then welded the scrap tube onto the plate.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351728827.834755.jpg

Here's another view, after priming (the tube was from my scrap pile and it already had a few holes, including the roughly torch-cut hole):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351728997.376737.jpg

Here's another shot after primer:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351729042.370156.jpg

One thing I would do differently (and may still do) is to add a "stop" on the tube, so I can just slide the tube into the receiver and not have to worry about lining up the hole for the retaining pin. It's a bit difficult to make minor adjustments with the entire bagger assembly assembled - that thing is not light.

It's too dark and rainy out right now to get pictures of the receiver mount, but it is essentially the same as the one available that replaces the entire drawbar plate. Mine is just bolted onto the existing plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hurricane Sandy finished my leaf collecting and deposited them somewhere else for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hurricane Sandy finished my leaf collecting and deposited them somewhere else for me.
Nice!

Hurricane Sandy decided that I had one too many trees in the yard.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351734289.758382.jpg

The tree fell right between my new snowblower and my HF trailer. No damage. It actually fell exactly where I keep the loader when it is off the tractor - thankfully the loader was on the tractor during the storm!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351734336.069418.jpg

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Hi everyone,

........So I came up with a simpler solution - I removed the stock drawbar plate and drilled four holes to mount a bolt-on "bumper" receiver. I then measured the distance for the MCS mount, marked, and then cut the bracket off. I welded a small steel plate on the end of the remaining bracket, and then welded on a cut-off hunk of 2" square tube I had laying around. I drilled the tube for the retaining pin before welding everything up.

someone else suggested doing this - I just don't recall who...
Great job djb!

It might have been me who said that because I came to truly hate that bagger for this exact reason and probably ranted about out a few times. As far as I'm concerned, Deere should be embarrassed by the design of this product. What you've done is precisely what they should have already done. I hope the bagger works better for you now and for years to come. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sandy also decided I had one too many trees as well. Luckily it went away from the house.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bones, you got nailed in PA. I had just a few small branches down in MA. Your mods look great! Would love to see some more pics of the receiver and how it attaches to your baby.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a shot of how I mounted the hitch receiver on the tractor.

Again, I just bolted a bumper receiver onto the factory drawbar hitch:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351823266.554584.jpg

Sorry the picture isn't better and the tractor isn't clean, but I took the photo after dark and it has been raining here for over a week...

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
Here's a shot of how I mounted the hitch receiver on the tractor.

Again, I just bolted a bumper receiver onto the factory drawbar hitch:

Sorry the picture isn't better and the tractor isn't clean, but I took the photo after dark and it has been raining here for over a week...

Thats nice work!
I guess the Omni Hitch for the 1026r would work as well: John Deere 1 Series Fixed Draw Bar Extension - OMNI Mfg LLC

·
Registered
251 Posts
That it is nice work. You've effectively eliminated the need to crouch down with a ratchet and adjustable wrench to loosen/tighten the 2 - 29mm nuts/bolts. The real pain is when you have to remove the iMatch and 3 pt hitch to get at those 2 bolts. Clearly what would be ideal is something that will attach to the iMatch similar to how the Protero PV18 mounts.

PV18 on 1026r.JPG

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
Troutsniffer,
If that's your 1026 in the photo it looks like you went for the Protero Powerflow and their flex chute as well.

How's it working out for you?
Frank

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That it is nice work. You've effectively eliminated the need to crouch down with a ratchet and adjustable wrench to loosen/tighten the 2 - 29mm nuts/bolts. The real pain is when you have to remove the iMatch and 3 pt hitch to get at those 2 bolts. Clearly what would be ideal is something that will attach to the iMatch similar to how the Protero PV18 mounts.

View attachment 12458

I agree! I may try and work something up in the spring so that I can mount the whole thing using the quick hitch - that would be perfect.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Material collections system to I-match

Hey guys, if anyone is interested, I have a way to attach the MCS to the I-match without any modifications at all.

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
Hey guys, if anyone is interested, I have a way to attach the MCS to the I-match without any modifications at all.
Of course we are interested! Can you start a new "how to" post? Of course we need lots of pictures as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is a hitch I came up with for the 14 bushel MCS. I am thinking about marketing it soon. I am trying to get some feedback from people to see if there is a demand for the product. I was super frustrated removing the I-match Hitch to install the MCS. I presented the idea to JD to incorporate into their OEM. They liked the bracket, but will not put the effort into changing their mounting system because of the few complaints they have received.

Attachments

·
Corndog Hater
11,267 Posts
Great job Randy, thanks for the pics. You definitely need to market this!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is a hitch I came up with for the 14 bushel MCS. I am thinking about marketing it soon. I am trying to get some feedback from people to see if there is a demand for the product. I was super frustrated removing the I-match Hitch to install the MCS. I presented the idea to JD to incorporate into their OEM. They liked the bracket, but will not put the effort into changing their mounting system because of the few complaints they have received.
Deere used to sell a version of the MCS that mounted directly on the 3-point hitch. The mount looked pretty much identical to what you made!

I originally was going to mount the bagger on the 3-point, but it moves the bagger back quite a bit further, and the blower chute isn't long enough to reach.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts