Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but when I pull my finish mower the driveshaft will sometimes contact the cross member on my quick hitch. The arms on the mower float and if I try to set the 3 point to the center of the float with it level it will hit on a dip. If I set it to the highest point of the float the mower lifts and leaves a spot of uncut grass. Been meaning to do something about it and finally got around to it yesterday.

I just cut a section and reshaped the center so it's half as thick as it was. Should give me more room for the mower arms to float without hitting the shaft or lifting the mower.

Nature Wood Sunlight Shade Biome

Motor vehicle Wood Grass Automotive tire Plant

Wood Grass Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
103 Posts
wonderful execution ,looks like it was made that way !
Have the same looking type of quick hitch
Had the same issue with the MK Martin 90" finish mower with the pto shaft will touch .
Did some poking around and did notice where it hooks to the arms and seen how they were modified .Moved the pin point up 4" from where they were ,can see the original holes .
Solved the problem and over 50 hours this summer and lots of room now.
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Plant

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Wow that looks really good. Nice work.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the same issue with the MK Martin 90" finish mower with the pto shaft will touch .
Did some poking around and did notice where it hooks to the arms and seen how they were modified .Moved the pin point up 4" from where they were ,can see the original holes .
View attachment 816767

Yeah the real issue is the mower pins are too low. I don't have a problem with my brush cutter. If this doesn't give me enough float I will have to do what you have done.

Reactions: driveshaft and trav

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
(y)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah the real issue is the mower pins are too low. I don't have a problem with my brush cutter. If this doesn't give me enough float I will have to do what you have done.
my brush cutter does not have any issues either with the quick hitch ,lots of room as it came .
Just the finishing mower with all the toggle points did not work with my quick hitch .
My neighbour has the I Match JD hitch on his 4044 and still had the shaft still tapping the top and it was his idea I had copied to my mower and solved the issue .
I discovered the issue when I mounted it to test fit the pto shaft for length and when exercising it and it was applying pressure to the shaft and even more so when pushing the mower to either side so that is why I went with his approach

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
View attachment 816767
Does that still work with a quick hitch?

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,439 Posts
Well done........... (y)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Usually when doing a C notch you would use thicker material to make up for the strength that is lost.
Hard to tell in the pics but wanted to mention it for others that make the mod.
I think it looks cooler after than it did before.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Good job!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Usually when doing a C notch you would use thicker material to make up for the strength that is lost.
Hard to tell in the pics but wanted to mention it for others that make the mod.
I think it looks cooler after than it did before.
I didn't measure but the hitch material looked to be 14ga. The panel I cut to fill the void was 11ga.

I put a homemade single point plow on it and ripped some roots today. Didn't have any sign of weakness. Won't test on the mower until next year.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Plant Tree Sky Wood Natural landscape

·
Premium Member
19,593 Posts
Good job (y) (y)

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
103 Posts
I didn't measure but the hitch material looked to be 14ga. The panel I cut to fill the void was 11ga.

I put a homemade single point plow on it and ripped some roots today. Didn't have any sign of weakness. Won't test on the mower until next year.

View attachment 816857

View attachment 816858
I do not think that there is any strength loss ,as all the 3 pull points are right behind the 3PTH with the tubing as a 4" spacer and the I Match is about 2" ISH ,..
I like that ripper idea ,
is that heavy wall 2x2 square tubing ?
aprox how long do you have it to the ripper shank?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do not think that there is any strength loss ,as all the 3 pull points are right behind the 3PTH with the tubing as a 4" spacer and the I Match is about 2" ISH ,..
I like that ripper idea ,
is that heavy wall 2x2 square tubing ?
aprox how long do you have it to the ripper shank?
It's a 3ft piece of 1/4" wall. The shank is solid 1x2 stainless with a small plow point bolted on. I cut offset slots to poke the shank through at an angle and drilled a hole through it for a bolt.

The bottom of the shank is pointed so it can rip without a plow point.

It rips but doesn't gather.

Going to pick up a cat 2 cultivator with heavy spring loaded shanks this afternoon. Planning to adapt it to the quick hitch. I may have to remove some points for my tractor to pull it. Hoping it will rip and gather without collecting too much dirt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts