Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning!

Looking for some advice and thoughts. I've searched the site to no avail.

I would like to come up with a snow pusher for my 1R. I have a JD430 with the refrigerator (2-stage) blower that works great for concrete drives, but not great on gravel. This will be for those areas of my drive, and several of the neighbors with gravel driveways, where the blower is difficult to use. I would probably use it as well when there are small snowfalls as I believe it would quite a bit faster, than both the blower and using just the bucket. I move the snow on up to 8 driveways in the neighborhood.

There are used box blades available quite often in this area. I don't want to invest a lot, as this isn't my primary snow removal tool, and having it as a dual purpose (still be able to use it as a back box blade) appeals to me.

Obviously I would have to add skid shoes to the side (easy enough), probably add a rubber edge (fairly easy) and come up with a loader mount (several options here.)

So, my question...has anyone taken a rear box blade and added the FEL mounts to use as a snow pusher?

I've never used a box blade, so perhaps my idea is a little too far fetched.

What are the thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Good Morning!

Looking for some advice and thoughts. I've searched the site to no avail.

I would like to come up with a snow pusher for my 1R. I have a JD430 with the refrigerator (2-stage) blower that works great for concrete drives, but not great on gravel. This will be for those areas of my drive, and several of the neighbors with gravel driveways, where the blower is difficult to use. I would probably use it as well when there are small snowfalls as I believe it would quite a bit faster, than both the blower and using just the bucket. I move the snow on up to 8 driveways in the neighborhood.

There are used box blades available quite often in this area. I don't want to invest a lot, as this isn't my primary snow removal tool, and having it as a dual purpose (still be able to use it as a back box blade) appeals to me.

Obviously I would have to add skid shoes to the side (easy enough), probably add a rubber edge (fairly easy) and come up with a loader mount (several options here.)

So, my question...has anyone taken a rear box blade and added the FEL mounts to use as a snow pusher?

What are the thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
With a good welder, I guess anything is possible. One thing to consider is that a box blade is very heavy. :dunno:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've had this exact same idea myself. I picked up a 1/4" thick bare JD quick attach plate from Titan, specifically for this project. Which i have yet to undertake.
I don't even think welding is necessary to accomplish this, unless you just plan on adding brackets right to the box blade. But, with a bare JDQA or SSQA plate, i think bolting the box blade to it with some large (5/8"-3/4") grade 8 hardware in 6-8 spots, would accomplish the same result. Make some skids for the sides, and replace the cutting edge with some stall mat or rubber, remove rear cutting edge, cut the 3 point mounts off the BB, and it ought to work out pretty good.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't see why not. I assume you would take both cutting blades off the box blade and replace with a single rubber blade? Then would just need to weld on the mounts to accept the loader arms and away you go. Just have to get the geometry right for the mounts.

·
Premium Member
12,174 Posts

What are the thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
As others have mentioned, anything is possible with a welder, cutter and grinder - and TIME. But I believe using a box blade as a FEL snow plow is simply the wrong implement for the job. First it is WAY too heavy. Even a 48-inch box blade weighs in around 450 lbs. That much weight is going to dig into the gravel, skid shoes or not. A snow plow doesn't need to be heavy, in fact some are made of poly.

It would make more sense to find an old beater rear blade on Craigslist and cobble it up to mount to the FEL.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I think the idea is interesting. I'm not sure how the snow is going to act with the 3pt mount and the ripper bar in the space it wants to occupy. If you have a use for a box blade, it seems like you could modify if and only be out your time and ~$200. I'd personally choose to use the mounting plates form Artillian over the larger one from Titan. At the size of box blade you'd want to use, you don't need the taller Titan plate just for the larger loader frames. The Artillian one is a little more, but better suited for what you're doing and shouldn't interfere with the rear cutting edge.

For Your JDQA Projects

Their web page won't let me link to the exact product, its the bottom one on that page. I used one of these to build something a long time ago and it was great quality and perfect fit.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think the idea is interesting. I'm not sure how the snow is going to act with the 3pt mount and the ripper bar in the space it wants to occupy. If you have a use for a box blade, it seems like you could modify if and only be out your time and ~$200. I'd personally choose to use the mounting plates form Artillian over the larger one from Titan. At the size of box blade you'd want to use, you don't need the taller Titan plate just for the larger loader frames. The Artillian one is a little more, but better suited for what you're doing and shouldn't interfere with the rear cutting edge.

For Your JDQA Projects

Their web page won't let me link to the exact product, its the bottom one on that page. I used one of these to build something a long time ago and it was great quality and perfect fit.
Those are nice and being bare bones, great for projects like this. But i gotta say, I only paid $118 shipped for the 1/4" bare JDQA plate from Titan and it's painted JD green. I do like that Artillian offers just the JDQA mounts themselves. I probably would have bought those had i known about them, even tho they're $160.
I used a 60" box blade behind my Kubota last year, pulling the snow to the end of the drive and back pushing it into the ditch. The snow just falls right out. Worked decent.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a good welder, I guess anything is possible. One thing to consider is that a box blade is very heavy. :dunno:
As others have mentioned, anything is possible with a welder, cutter and grinder - and TIME. But I believe using a box blade as a FEL snow plow is simply the wrong implement for the job. First it is WAY too heavy. Even a 48-inch box blade weighs in around 450 lbs. That much weight is going to dig into the gravel, skid shoes or not. A snow plow doesn't need to be heavy, in fact some are made of poly.

It would make more sense to find an old beater rear blade on Craigslist and cobble it up to mount to the FEL.
Weight was a concern I had, but in researching actual snow pushers...a 72" has weights from 350-450#, whereas, the box blades aren't much different with them being 450-500# from what I've seen.
https://www.agrisupply.com/foot-point-box-scraper/p/65072/

For Your JDQA Projects

The scarifier cross brace was some thing that I had not really considered.....

Yes, in my mind I would plan to uses the brackets from Artillian or titan. I have Artillian pallet forks now.

Thanks for the responses. Seems like I'm not toooooo far off of this thinking. Was hoping someone has done this and could share their experience. Do folks have an issue with the cross support when using a box blade on the 3pt to move snow?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
757 Posts
Do folks have an issue with the cross support when using a box blade on the 3pt to move snow?

Thanks,
Scott

It was never an issue, in my experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'm going to echo what others have said about a box blade being too heavy to use as a snow pusher on a 1-series.

I'm going to throw out a couple of other ideas that may or may not have been mentioned. It sounds like your snowblower is fine for the paved areas, but not for your gravel drives that you clear. What about a set of Edge Tamers for your front bucket? That would keep the cutting edge up off the gravel and prevent you from scraping up gravel along with the snow. Much cheaper and easier than trying to fab a snow pusher out of a box blade.

Or, you can mount a piece of pipe over the cutting edge of the bucket. I've used 1.5" ABS pipe on my bucket and it worked really well on my concrete driveway. I simply cut a slit in the pipe with a circular saw and then hammered it on to the cutting edge. Works great going forward, but did have to avoid back-dragging or the pipe would come off.

If you have better fabrication skills and tools than I have, I might suggest a piece of 2" or 2.5" steel pipe on the bucket. If you can cut a slit in it and also weld on some sort of attachment mechanism, you would have a pretty good gravel setup. The larger diameter pipe will slide over the irregular surfaces of your gravel driveway and keep the edge from biting in. Having it attached to the bucket will keep it from coming off.

I know that a lot of guys will tell you how crappy and time consuming it is to clear snow with the front bucket, but I've never had too much of an issue with it. Does it take a bit longer than a blade or blower? Sure, but it's also a lot cheaper to use something that you already have on hand.

Finally, you could do what I ended up doing with my gravel driveway.... About 2 months ago I had it paved!! :good2::laugh: :gizmo::gizmo::gizmo:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Whats the lift capacity of a 1 series loader?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Weight was a concern I had, but in researching actual snow pushers...a 72" has weights from 350-450#, whereas, the box blades aren't much different with them being 450-500# from what I've seen.
https://www.agrisupply.com/foot-point-box-scraper/p/65072/

The scarifier cross brace was some thing that I had not really considered.....

Yes, in my mind I would plan to uses the brackets from Artillian or titan. I have Artillian pallet forks now.

Thanks for the responses. Seems like I'm not toooooo far off of this thinking. Was hoping someone has done this and could share their experience. Do folks have an issue with the cross support when using a box blade on the 3pt to move snow?

Thanks,
Scott
Additional food for thought: As you mentioned, a 72" pusher weighs around 350-450 lbs. A box blade weighing in at 450 lbs plus the weight of a blank plate (Titan @ 74 lbs) put's your project well above 500 lbs. That's a lot of weight. It's not that the 1 series can't handle it, you would still end up with only a 48" pusher. I've been wrong before, as my wife constantly let's me know :lol:, but I think there are too many other alternatives to consider. I like another poster's suggestion to add edge tamers to your bucket. Heck, the bucket is very similar to a pusher anyways. Just saying!

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
If you want to quick change your blower from blacktop to gravel, here is an idea. Of course still not as fast as a blade but it keeps the gravel on the driveway.

What we did in our shop today! - Page 78

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't think the weight would be much of an issue. IIRC my 6 ft snow pusher weighs about 575 lbs and I have no problems with it loaded with snow.

I have a snowblower that I will be trying out this year. I already have a piece of ABS cut to slip onto the blower cutting edge to prevent it from digging in to my gravel driveway.

I was also wondering about a quick way to change the height of my skid shoes, as I have a small portion of pavement, and as well I often clean my neighbors driveway that is all paved. Thanks for sharing Herminator. I was thinking about just removing the nuts and bolts from each shoe and replacing them with clevis pins. I would be able to use 2 existing holes but would need to drill in 2 additional holes for the second height. I never actually test fit anything yet, and I don't know if there would be too much slop in the shoes or what, but yes, being able to change height quickly, and without wrenches is the end goal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you want to quick change your blower from blacktop to gravel, here is an idea. Of course still not as fast as a blade but it keeps the gravel on the driveway.

What we did in our shop today! - Page 78
I'm going to file this away. This would be a good solution for the epic events where I would still like to use the blower on the gravel areas.

I don't think the weight would be much of an issue. IIRC my 6 ft snow pusher weighs about 575 lbs and I have no problems with it loaded with snow.

I have a snowblower that I will be trying out this year. I already have a piece of ABS cut to slip onto the blower cutting edge to prevent it from digging in to my gravel driveway.

I was also wondering about a quick way to change the height of my skid shoes, as I have a small portion of pavement, and as well I often clean my neighbors driveway that is all paved. Thanks for sharing Herminator. I was thinking about just removing the nuts and bolts from each shoe and replacing them with clevis pins. I would be able to use 2 existing holes but would need to drill in 2 additional holes for the second height. I never actually test fit anything yet, and I don't know if there would be too much slop in the shoes or what, but yes, being able to change height quickly, and without wrenches is the end goal.
Thanks for the insight on the using the big snow pusher. I think I will begin my quest to do this.

Scott

·
Registered
281 Posts
Let us know how it turns out, maybe I will convert my box blade too and sell my snow pusher if it goes ok with my blower and rear blade. I will be using the pusher (and maybe modified box blade one day), until the road is frozen and then use the blower and rear blade for the rest of the winter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good Morning again.

Well, I found a cheap box blade, and I'm working on this project. It needed a little work, the back blade portion had been tweaked, so I'm straightening it out, as well as fixing up the sides that had significant wear. I have the artillian mounts, and rubber edge ready to mount. Just waiting on some steel to fix it all up. I'm also going to remove and reinstall the main support angle across the front (there were no scarifiers on this blade) to be able to use as a back drag (I have a rubber edge to add to that as well.) I'll post some pics once I get it straightened.

So I've been working on that, and at the same time deciding how to mount the FEL mounts.

I've done some searching of the various snow pushers available, and it seems every brand has the mounts in a different location and angle. Any thoughts on where to attach the mount? ie perpendicular to the ground or at an angle...and how far up?

The easiest way for me to attach the mounts is flat along the back, which is perpendicular to the ground up about 5-6". But I'm worried about having curl back, in this location there would be some curl, but not much when at flat ground operation. Is that ever an issue for those that are using snow pushers?

My gut tells me it will be fine to do it that way, but, again, looking for experience of those that have used them.

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
606 Posts
You're correct in that the back angle affects your curl, the other thing it affects is your level indicator. I'm not sure how much curl a snow pusher needs, I don't own one. My forks don't have any back angle, so they have a lot less curl than my bucket or grapple. Not enough to make a difference in fork operation, though. You can also modify your level indicator, I put a piece colored tape to indicate level for the forks on the indicator rod. This works fine, but I need to make something better.

I'd go for the solidness of mounting it flat, considering the forces involved are going to put a lever on any bracket you build. That is unless someone with a pusher says curl is critical.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Additional food for thought: As you mentioned, a 72" pusher weighs around 350-450 lbs. A box blade weighing in at 450 lbs plus the weight of a blank plate (Titan @ 74 lbs) put's your project well above 500 lbs. That's a lot of weight. It's not that the 1 series can't handle it, you would still end up with only a 48" pusher. I've been wrong before, as my wife constantly let's me know :lol:, but I think there are too many other alternatives to consider. I like another poster's suggestion to add edge tamers to your bucket. Heck, the bucket is very similar to a pusher anyways. Just saying!
Hey, don’t feel bad I think your wife even told me “I was WRONG”

1 - 20 of 32 Posts