Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After dad pasted, I had to step up my game and take care of the mechanical things around mom's house. I installed new locks and deadbolts, changed almost all the incandescent lamps to LED, cleaned gutters, washed this, mowed that, and serviced everything that needs to be serviced. Her beautiful Cadillac DeVille needed some tires and shocks so we did that. Mom wanted to trade her car off. Okay. Sure. What do you want? She had several Cadillacs so I assumed that is what she wanted. She sorta likes my wife's Equinox. So we drove some different ones. Na. She drove a Chevy Captiva. I kinda like that. Really? Mom, you might want to think about that one. That is a big jump from a DeVille to that little thing. So summer came and went. I aways scan the GM lots. I came across this little Buick Encore. Man, this thing is neat. Took mom over to look at it and drive it. She fell in love. While much smaller, it has that Buick ride and all the bells and whistles you would expect from Buick. It is the Encore Premium AWD. It has the lane change alarm, the blind spot alarm, the your about to hit the car in front of you alarm and of course the big back up camera with alarms there too. Perfect for a 75 year old lady. Plus heated seats and steering wheel, sunroof, remote start, and navigation. Plus the usual XM radio pushing through BOSE speakers and OnStar.

Now it is somewhat peppy. I did not tell mom about the sport model with the turbo charger. Mom is one of those ladies you hate to have behind you. She can't pass you fast enough. She travels 65 mph on most roads and 80 on the freeway. She had no problems whatsoever with her NorthStar Cadillacs loading up on her. She keeps the carbon blown out. When I was a young teen she had a couple of Trans Ams and a Corvette. Took very little to get her to power brake those babies!

She did state it is not has fast as her Cadillac. I for one am glad to hear that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
She sounds pretty cute! I like to say I am a "fast" old man behind the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
8,036 Posts
Since I bought Ms. SGS her Escape Titanium back in November '14 I don't think she's put 1000 miles on her baby, the 2004 Lincoln LS V8. Ms. SGS has a lead foot but the 2.0 Litre EcoBoost runs out pretty good. Now she's talking about selling her LS with 43,000 original miles on it. She won't........

·
Old Pa-pa
11,732 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
My Mom's almost 92, I wish she would stop driving. She totaled her car (accident, her fault) in 2013. I thought this would be the end. As soon as the insurance check came she was out new car shopping. Her insurance has doubled, but she still pays it and drives.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mom is a pretty good driver still. She just likes to go fast. She likes the roar of a V-8 as it runs through the gears.

She does admit that she needs to slow down and that parking the DeVille is getting harder. I do think it will be tough when I have to face that time when she should not drive.

My mother in law is there now. She is 86 and we are starting to wonder if she should not drive. It was suggested by one of her doctors which really made her mad. Just 6 short years ago, she retired after 40 years of driving school bus. 3 years ago we urged her to trade in her F250 crew cab diesel for something that she would not fall out of or need to climb into. As a side note she got an Edge. Super sucky gas millage (14 mpg) and a ride that will have you peeing blood within 35 minutes. Should have kept the truck. She has removed the mirrors on it three times already going in and out of the garage. This is very hard for my wife and sister in law as ma is determined to continue to drive. She doesn't drive erratically, just her memory is slipping and will she remember where she is or to hit the brakes is what we fear. And she forgets about those pesky mirrors.

It is both a blessing and sometimes a curse to have your folks grow old. But I'm glad to have them still.

isaac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts