Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a Montana 3240 with PTO issues. He was brush cutting his field and the pto suddenly stopped working. Now when engaging the pto (with no implement on) the pto shaft spins but with a horrible grinding noise. Obviously there are internals that have failed but my question is should I dig into this thing myself? I have been a dealership tech for over 20 years and have overhauled numerous transmissions, engines and axles but this whole tractor transmission/pto/hydraulic mystery box is just that, a mystery. I was never a big fan of this Montana tractor from the day he bought it. Seems really cheap and it only has 300 hours. Has anyone every overhauled a tractor tranny? Should I just swallow my pride and tell him to take it to a tractor service garage? What are your thoughts? I do have a service manual but the translation from Korean to English is horrible and it just makes things a little more difficult.:flag_of_truce:

·
Super Moderator
4,975 Posts
The Montana tractors were built by LS. Pretty much the same machines as the FarmTrac.

I'd be leary of not being able to get it back together after I got it apart.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Montana tractors were built by LS. Pretty much the same machines as the FarmTrac.

I'd be leary of not being able to get it back together after I got it apart.
Jim that's my concern as well haha. I not thinking I should dive into this thing at this point.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Jim that's my concern as well haha. I not thinking I should dive into this thing at this point.
I personally would have a beer and step away from the Montana:laugh:

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's a big job- not for newbies

My neighbor has a Montana 3240 with PTO issues. He was brush cutting his field and the pto suddenly stopped working. Now when engaging the pto (with no implement on) the pto shaft spins but with a horrible grinding noise. Obviously there are internals that have failed but my question is should I dig into this thing myself? I have been a dealership tech for over 20 years and have overhauled numerous transmissions, engines and axles but this whole tractor transmission/pto/hydraulic mystery box is just that, a mystery. I was never a big fan of this Montana tractor from the day he bought it. Seems really cheap and it only has 300 hours. Has anyone every overhauled a tractor tranny? Should I just swallow my pride and tell him to take it to a tractor service garage? What are your thoughts? I do have a service manual but the translation from Korean to English is horrible and it just makes things a little more difficult.:flag_of_truce:
I just finished putting a John Deere 2305 hydrostatic tranny and final drive back together in late April this year. I bought it as an assembled basket case. I know it's not the same tractor but it has 3 different PTO shafts, final gear drive, rear axles and hydraulic drives, three point hitch and a couple things I've probably forgotten all in one case. Very complex and not cheap at all to repair. Metal filings everywhere. Many, many hours of cleaning! Probably 40 to 50 hours to fix it all. I got a lot of parts used and still have $2500 in parts I bet.I don't have many hours on the repair but that is just because I'm too busy with other things to run it. Not sure I've got this posting thing down. I typed this out twice but it didn't come out the same both times

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Without a very good understandable tech manual I advise to not touch the Montana tractor with even a 10 ft pole!!!!!!!!:unknown:
Even with a good tech manual, I would stay away with out a known, reliable parts source. Having a dealer nearby isn't good enough when they may have to wait months for an order to arrive from overseas.

Let the machine sit and take up space in their shop while they wait for parts. :good2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts