Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford's future Super Duty's will get the Military Grade Aluminum treatment!

Car and Driver

They're really going to raise the bar for tough, powerful and good looking work trucks. That's all I can say for now.

:usa

·
Registered
225 Posts
I figured they would. I'm kind of disapointed, after 17 years they're changing the body style. Oh well. That's twice as long as the others could manage. Kinda looks like a chevy F150 with a dodge tailgate.....

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'll bet they made the bed smaller too. Several years ago, Chevy made their beds a couple of inches more narrow and more shallow than all others. Ford, IIRC has been the only truck to keep the bed the same width and height as they were 40 years ago. I'll bet they will be the same dimensions as Chevy and Dodge now.

And I know all of this due to getting a good buy on an old used bed insert a few years ago. The guy found the deal and bought it, only to find out, his new Chevy bed was 3 inches too narrow to accommodate the thing. It would fit in the older (such as 1982) Chevy trucks, and all Fords. So, he needed to offload the bargain, and I grabbed it! Subsequently had to upgrade to a new unit not too long ago, and the units are a "one size fits all". I've got a good 2 inches of clearance on either side of the unit, where the old one fit like a glove. And, had to put some layers of plywood under the unit to make the Ford bed more shallow.

I've no doubt that is one area Ford will begin trimming now. :nunu:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,763 Posts
I figured they would. I'm kind of disapointed, after 17 years they're changing the body style. Oh well. That's twice as long as the others could manage. Kinda looks like a chevy F150 with a dodge tailgate.....
Not too sure I like the looks of that.......................................:banghead:

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll bet they made the bed smaller too. Several years ago, Chevy made their beds a couple of inches more narrow and more shallow than all others. Ford, IIRC has been the only truck to keep the bed the same width and height as they were 40 years ago. I'll bet they will be the same dimensions as Chevy and Dodge now.

And I know all of this due to getting a good buy on an old used bed insert a few years ago. The guy found the deal and bought it, only to find out, his new Chevy bed was 3 inches too narrow to accommodate the thing. It would fit in the older (such as 1982) Chevy trucks, and all Fords. So, he needed to offload the bargain, and I grabbed it! Subsequently had to upgrade to a new unit not too long ago, and the units are a "one size fits all". I've got a good 2 inches of clearance on either side of the unit, where the old one fit like a glove. And, had to put some layers of plywood under the unit to make the Ford bed more shallow.

I've no doubt that is one area Ford will begin trimming now. :nunu:
You bet? I'm no betting man BUT I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Patience Grasshopper.........

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not too sure I like the looks of that.......................................:banghead:
Cajun,

You'll love it when you see it. It looks like a new 2015 F150 on steroids but you can see the Super Duty lineage as well. It will get an all new high strength steel frame that will put the competition to shame. Of course the entire body will be "Military Grade Aluminum" so it will gain toughness, corrosion protection and lose some weight.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
SGS: You can submit my name for a free long term test if Ford wants to explore the old geezer market.

I would be more than happy to supply the fuel. :laugh:

·
8,558 Posts
My most important question...

Will it still have twin I-beams? I heard Ford did away with those in the F-150. I'd hate for them to be gone from the F-250 (and larger) as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My most important question...

Will it still have twin I-beams? I heard Ford did away with those in the F-150. I'd hate for them to be gone from the F-250 (and larger) as well.
Twin I-Beams? Gone, gone, long gone. Simple and very tough suspension but hard on tires and handling was compromised due to load and ride height. Caster and Camber adjustments were not easy. You had to bend correction in using a hydraulic beam bending tool. I had one until a few years ago but gave it to someone who was in the alignment business. I had a half dozen new Fords with Twin I-Beam suspension. The first thing I'd do when I brought one home was to bend the I-Beams to set Camber at +1/2˚and Axle Struts to set Caster at +1.5˚ then they'd ride well and tire shoulder wear was reduced to near zero. If you look at older vehicles with this suspension you'll generally notice the inner and outer tire shoulders are worn fairly smooth. This becomes more of an issue when the front springs age. I will say once again that this was one tough suspension though. Served it's purpose at the time and was superior to the competition.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These leaked 2017 Super Duty photos are already on the Internet so they can be shared here.

2017_F250.jpg 2017-Ford-F250-Render.jpg

2017_Ford F250-2.jpg

·
8,558 Posts
My '03 F-250 has twin I-beams. (As did my '68 F-100, and all of the Ford trucks I have owned since.) I love them!! Never need to be aligned, unless you wreck it. I rotate tires every 5000-6000 miles, and can get 85-100K miles on good tires. (I run Michelin.) I'm at 92K on the set on there, and will probably get new this Fall. I heard they got away from the twin I-beams later in '03 or '04, even on their heavy duty stuff. I get a better ride, and better mileage from tires than my mom's Dodge 2500 ever thought of getting.

Like I said in another thread.....

I'm going to kiss my truck and keep doing the extra preventative maintenance, because I want her to outlive me!!

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My '03 F-250 has twin I-beams. (As did my '68 F-100, and all of the Ford trucks I have owned since.) I love them!! Never need to be aligned, unless you wreck it. I rotate tires every 5000-6000 miles, and can get 85-100K miles on good tires. (I run Michelin.) I'm at 92K on the set on there, and will probably get new this Fall.
Tire rotation and proper inflation is the key! I remember getting almost 100,000 miles on a set of Firestone Wilderness LE tires on one of my Ford's with TIB front suspension. Those Wilderness tires were recalled because they were supposedly defective. When I read about it I took the truck to Firestone and they gave me a brand new set of tires for $0. What a deal!!

·
8,558 Posts
Just goes to show, those TIB were great. I too had a set of Firestone Tires that I put 85K on, with no issues.

Before he died, my dad bought a new F-150. It had the I-beams. He set out to prove that Fords were "maintenance free", except for oil and filter changes, and tire rotations. (This was back when the warranties on trucks were only 3 years, or 36K miles.) He changed the oil every 5K miles, as he said that would leave no need to remember the mileage, as it was easy, round numbers. Came new with a set of Firestone on it. He went to 100K with nothing more than the routine stuff. Those tires were ready to be changed when he got there, but they went the distance.

I hate to hear they are no longer an option, even in Heavy Duty stuff. :cray:

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Too late, I ain't buyin one!:lol:
I do have to wonder the cost. View attachment 47036
They're not getting any cheaper. Then again, and you'll be happy to hear that the new 2015 F150 improved their resale value quite a bit since going to the new design and construction. They're now way ahead of the competition. Ford........"Go Further!"

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Superglidesport, Are you a Ford truck person?

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Superglidesport, Are you a Ford truck person?
Gizmo, I've had only Ford trucks since 1978 and a lot of them. My last three Ford trucks were 2001, 2003 and 2005 Diesel Excursions. I used them like pick-up trucks and pulled some heavy trailers. I've since had a couple of Lincoln Navigator L's which are Expedition / F150 based. I have a 2013 now.

I work with Ford & Lincoln Dealers on a daily basis assisting with new facility, expansion, renovation, collision, truck shop design, construction and equipment supply. We also get involved with some third party OEM projects for some of our F-L dealers.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
Cajun,

You'll love it when you see it. It looks like a new 2015 F150 on steroids but you can see the Super Duty lineage as well. It will get an all new high strength steel frame that will put the competition to shame. Of course the entire body will be "Military Grade Aluminum" so it will gain toughness, corrosion protection and lose some weight.
Think my body needs some of this. :bigthumb: :lolol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Thanks SGS. I knew you worked with Ford trucks/sales, really didn't remember if you owned any.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
So? Flatbeds are still available 8' wide. :mocking:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts