Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After what I found today persuing the posts here http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/17925-any-fix-bent-broken-angle-cylinder-fittings-54-plow-3.html#post195229 I though I'd start a new thread on "other stuff" you can find on the QH if you look.

Angle cylinder front pin seems a bit high! Strange, probably broke off the bottom roll pin.

Pin 1.jpg pin 2.jpg

There it is! Roll pin busted clean off on both sides. With all the dirt in there it sure looks like a roll pin...

Pin 3.jpg

But, it's not a strong hefty roll pin.... It's a wimpy small cotter pin and right down under there where all the action happens plowing snow and dirt and especially "back blading". Half of what I pushed out...

Pin 4.jpg

And crude as it might be, the pin won't be moving again this season. I put the actual "single top roll pin" on the bottom and the hitch pin on the top with the patented "Shoddy Industries Safety Wire System"...

pin 5.jpg

Good thing I found this when I did as that 1/2" pin was slightly bent, but not enough to affect reinstallation... So be sure to watch for this condition among all the other conditions on your own personal quick hitches. (They are called quick hitches because they get "hitches" in 'em real "quick".):laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Nice catch Harold.

And, thanks for the heads up. It sure pays to look the machinery over every now and then.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
Thanks HydroHarold :thumbup1gif:
I'm the worst. In this COLD weather I don't like to look things over, I'm too afraid I'll find something wrong.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been pretty fussy checking on the swing piston hydraulic connections (@ the piston) since they were loose enough to leak right after delivery. But I certainly wouldn't want to have to pay JD prices for another one of those 1/2" drilled steel rods (I'd head for the HW store first for a long bolt/nuts!:laugh:).

Everything is back together today including a re-re-routing/grouping of the lines going back to the QC's AND another new blue bungee at the back of the brush guard. I certainly enjoy JD's trust in us to use our own methods of suspending that bunch of lines away from the front tire! And I so love being "creative" with color!:laugh:

Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
But I certainly wouldn't want to have to pay JD prices for another one of those 1/2" drilled steel rods (I'd head for the HW store first for a long bolt/nuts!:laugh:).
Looks like M90097 ( $7.55 )

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
23,258 Posts
I've been pretty fussy checking on the swing piston hydraulic connections (@ the piston) since they were loose enough to leak right after delivery. But I certainly wouldn't want to have to pay JD prices for another one of those 1/2" drilled steel rods (I'd head for the HW store first for a long bolt/nuts!:laugh:).

Everything is back together today including a re-re-routing/grouping of the lines going back to the QC's AND another new blue bungee at the back of the brush guard. I certainly enjoy JD's trust in us to use our own methods of suspending that bunch of lines away from the front tire! And I so love being "creative" with color!:laugh:
While I don't have one of these setups, after this thread an another showing the snow/ice and the interference of some hydraulic lines, I am keeping a good eye now even just on my loader lines being I plow with my bucket. This also prompted me to pick up some gear ties that I saw at Tractor Supply the last time I was in there. There was a thread about them here a while back but I can't find it now.

I thought they would be handy for things like this - might work better than bungee cords in some situations.

GearTie-e1331517863815.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
I thought they would be handy for things like this - might work better than bungee cords in some situations.

View attachment 40932
Agreed! I zip tie my hoses to keep them out of trouble but the GearTies would be nice reusable solution.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like M90097 ( $7.55 )
$7.55? Outrage us!:laugh: It probably comes w/one rollpin and one has to buy the bottom cotter also. BOLT IT, you'll never look back (AND it then becomes "serviceably removable if needed.:laugh:

While I don't have one of these setups, after this thread an another showing the snow/ice and the interference of some hydraulic lines, I am keeping a good eye now even just on my loader lines being I plow with my bucket. This also prompted me to pick up some gear ties that I saw at Tractor Supply the last time I was in there. There was a thread about them here a while back but I can't find it now.

View attachment 40932
They do seem like they will work nicely for "bundling", but the only thing that will reach from the grill guard down to the bundled hoses is a piece of clothes line or a bungee. Simply put, if JD had included a correctly designed/located loop for the hoses like the one further back, front wheel interference would be eliminated. I still like the look of the bungee "system" though, makes it look "customized".:laugh:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have bolts in both ends of my turn cylinder for my QH. I know it won't go anyplace not and I don't have to worry about broken roll pins.

·
Premium Member
15,030 Posts

View attachment 40932
Bought my second set of those last week.. Had been using cable ties to hold up about everything .

Then I thought wow I could (have had a V8) :laugh: use these ties for holding the angle hyd hoses and wrap them up with the other hoses. I bought the 12" and 18" work great. Have owned the one set for going on 2 yrs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just buy the front mount 47 or 54 front snow blower. Then you just pin the hitch in straight position. No need to worry about the hydro turn cylinder. Thanks

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just buy the front mount 47 or 54 front snow blower. Then you just pin the hitch in straight position. No need to worry about the hydro turn cylinder. Thanks
Not a chance! I HAVE read all the problems folks are having with shaking, noise/vibration, faux plastic impellers, driveshafts, etc. on those PRICEY snow blowers. If the snow gets where I can't plow it I'll start up my GX335/42" single stage and run that (did that once this year already). That unit has been flawless throwing snow for near 10 years. It's simple, tried and true in all types of snow.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Not a chance! I HAVE read all the problems folks are having with shaking, noise/vibration, faux plastic impellers, driveshafts, etc. on those PRICEY snow blowers. If the snow gets where I can't plow it I'll start up my GX335/42" single stage and run that (did that once this year already). That unit has been flawless throwing snow for near 10 years. It's simple, tried and true in all types of snow.
I don't think you can really use the few trouble reports on here as an overall indicator of the build quality of the 47 and 54-inch blowers. Deere sells thousands of these blowers and as with anything, I'll bet for every person with a problem there are 100 for whom it has worked perfectly for years. I read just as many horror stories about the single-stage belt driven blowers.

One could even make a similar observation on mower decks.

Internet forums like GTT will always have a higher percentage of "problem" threads, but overall we still represent a very small fraction of equipment owners.

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think you can really use the few trouble reports on here as an overall indicator of the build quality of the 47 and 54-inch blowers. Deere sells thousands of these blowers and as with anything, I'll bet for every person with a problem there are 100 for whom it has worked perfectly for years. I read just as many horror stories about the single-stage belt driven blowers.

One could even make a similar observation on mower decks.

Internet forums like GTT will always have a higher percentage of "problem" threads, but overall we still represent a very small fraction of equipment owners.
Quite true, I'm sure. But I don't want to spend the $2600 to find out I got one that the dealer can't seem to service correctly and is left to me to troubleshoot while I still have the perfectly working 42 on the GX. That blower is foolproof (even with me) and can handle anthing from "near water" to heavy wet snow. JD SCUT problems that I've run into (seat, rockshaft, body fit) point towards a bit of excess "run out" during production = QC or part design and spec's...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 47, I also have a 72" plow. I plow early untill the ice road is well established then I put the blower on. That blower is a champ. It will throw snow 50' under the right conditions. I do an 850' and 1000' ft driveways. I run about 2000-2200 rpm that the speed it likes. With the blower you move it once and done. You don't ever run out of room. I moved snow around 100 hrs last winter and getting close to that this year. Given a choice Id keep the blower over the plow. I have sheared a few pins from stciks and stones and a blanket once, but thats what the shear pins are for. I bought mine used on CL for $700 I had to drive a little to get it. I am glad I did. Now if I could just find a 54.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pin broke on mine too this year. Replace with a bolt and lock nut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts