Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up for free at work today. Making it my lil yard cart hauler and trash can transporter. Engine needs a new cam and lifters. The compression release is a goner. Still starts ok if I hand turn it past TDC. For free.. I will take it. D110, 234hrs.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
They multiply like rabbits.

·
Premium Member
14,108 Posts
Sounds like the price was right. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mighty good deal, especially for someone who knows how to fix it.
Does it have the Briggs Intek engine? If so, has Briggs ever updated the cam to make the compression release more reliable?

tommyhawk

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Ain't it great when a decent piece of equipment costs more to repair than it's worth - and then they give it to you!! I ended up with several pieces of equipment that I was able to eek a little more life out of.

One Toro push mower that I ended up with - the owner brought it in after running it out of oil and it seized up. Cylinder was scored really bad! He bought a new Toro and left. I put some ATF in the crankcase and got it broke loose. New head gasket and I ended up using that mower for another 8 years or so. Smoked a bit, but it cut well and was easy to push.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Does it have the Briggs Intek engine? If so, has Briggs ever updated the cam to make the compression release more reliable?

tommyhawk
Just wondering, do the Intek Briggs have a higher compression than the old flat head opposed engines? No compression release on those.

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ain't it great when a decent piece of equipment costs more to repair than it's worth - and then they give it to you!! I ended up with several pieces of equipment that I was able to eek a little more life out of.

One Toro push mower that I ended up with - the owner brought it in after running it out of oil and it seized up. Cylinder was scored really bad! He bought a new Toro and left. I put some ATF in the crankcase and got it broke loose. New head gasket and I ended up using that mower for another 8 years or so. Smoked a bit, but it cut well and was easy to push.
Mosquito control :unknown: :unknown: :unknown: :lol:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wondering, do the Intek Briggs have a higher compression than the old flat head opposed engines? No compression release on those.
Not sure on the specs. However the old flatheads did have a way to relieve compression. The camshaft intake valve duration was ever so slightly longer, allowing the intake valve to stay open a fraction of a second longer. At operating speed it had no effect on the power.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
It seems a valve adjustment alone is usually all a Briggs needs to eliminate a hard starting problem. That’s what people say here, my only experience involved bent rods. They were cheap enough, but Briggs was the slowest shipper I’ve ever seen. They arrived about 2 weeks after selling it as is.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My reference was to the Intek version Briggs put out as an economy (?) model to keep in the price point game I guess. The pictures I've seen show the comp. release assembly made with some pot metal parts that may wear beyond what the valve lash can accommodate. Worse yet, it can break apart with possible catastrophic results.

I have an L100 with an Intek, that has a leaking crankshaft seal that needs dealt with, and I expect to also replace the cam at that time. It has gotten to the point that the proper valve lash just barely lets the engine start. I expect to find some wear on the comp. release. I was hoping Briggs has made a new improved one by now. The hours are unknown, but has to be 500 or so. My neighbor bought it new and I've done all the service work for him. I have owned it for 4 years but haven't used it much.

When I get the energy to do that one, I'll post some pictures if anyone would be interested. Maybe xcopterdoc will do it first!

tommyhawk

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts

tommyhawk
I can answer that.... NOPE!

I’ve replaced the cam twice on my Intek due to a broken compression release. A new cam comes with new followers but in both of my cases the broken parts damaged to governor gear on the way down to the crankcase.

Still sounds like a sweet freebie deal!

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
That is only the case if you are paying a shop to repair it. A new cam, governor gear and a set of gaskets will run around $100 from Amazon. It’s a very simple job.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
Either that or they had a more powerful starter. Unfortunately Briggs went with the weakest starters they could find.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
It seems a valve adjustment alone is usually all a Briggs needs to eliminate a hard starting problem. That’s what people say here, my only experience involved bent rods. They were cheap enough, but Briggs was the slowest shipper I’ve ever seen. They arrived about 2 weeks after selling it as is.
Next time try Amazon. That’s where I got my new Intek cams and gaskets. They came in 2 days via Prime.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
My reference was to the Intek version Briggs put out as an economy (?) model to keep in the price point game I guess. The pictures I've seen show the comp. release assembly made with some pot metal parts that may wear beyond what the valve lash can accommodate. Worse yet, it can break apart with possible catastrophic results. [/QUOTE

Wear? They don’t last long enough to wear. Mine has broken TWICE and the engine has less than 100 hours. When I tore it down both times the engine inside was immaculate and the cam and tappet showed no wear at all. I change oil every 25 hours and you could have eaten out of the crankcase. The pot metal/plastic compression release just broke.]

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Next time try Amazon. That’s where I got my new Intek cams and gaskets. They came in 2 days via Prime.
Trust me I looked there first, then several other shops I like. All were out of stock if they even listed it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts