Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how I can get more horsepower out of a XUV590E engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,457 Posts
I don't but have to ask, why?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Buy one with more horsepower?
This-either just the engine or the whole machine.

Is it really an issue of pure HP or are there issues of transferring it and putting it to use? Why are you seeking more HP? Speed? Lots of variables and potential avenues to explore before we can really help constructively.

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
This-either just the engine or the whole machine.

Is it really an issue of pure HP or are there issues of transferring it and putting it to use? Why are you seeking more HP? Speed? Lots of variables and potential avenues to explore before we can really help constructively.
I guess another question would be "How MUCH more horsepower?"

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Turbo-charger?? Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously there was a program on Discovery Channel called 'Diesel Brothers' about a group of fellows in Utah who usually build some incredible diesel powered machines but once built a UTV for a parapalegic stunt driver that is more than what you want but may give you some ideas.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
A turbo, or if it's carbureted you can swap/modify that for something with more output.

Bore it oversize, stroke it.... lots of options it just depends what your goal is and how much money you have to spend on it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am aware of boreing the cylinder and so on. What I am looking for is easy/bolt on type things that will increase HP. Like a K&N Filter, which is not made for XUV590E or/and exhaust (from my Internet searches, 16 times the price for my truck Magnaflo Exhaust). Basically; I am looking for add on/replace things that will give my XUV590E more ponies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
597 Posts
There is lots of info on exhaust systems and K&N style air filters for cars and trucks. The general rule is they don't add very much power by themselves. For example I own a 2010 Dodge Challenger I put a "cold air intake" and a lower restriction exhaust on it but I also bought a tuner and had it tuned on a dyno. This gave me about 10% more power but most of that was from the tuner, not the different air filter and exhaust.

In other words bolting on exhaust and a K&N type filter probably won't get you anything. I doubt they make any kind of tuner for that engine. There probably just isn't a lot of bolt on items that will get you much power, it would take some serious engine work. Also depending on what you read, K&N filters aren't that great, usually a stock filter works better and flows plenty of air.

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
How is an air filter element going to increase horsepower?
Switching to a less restrictive air filter has always been a way to gain a little engine performance. The better it can breath the more power it can make. K&N has based their entire business model on the practice. Now, it's not going to turn your Buick into a dragster... the increase is usually very incremental. The issue with automobile engines is that installing a less restrictive filter usually increases engine noise so depending on what kind of car you have it may not be desirable.

Just like with motorcycles, usually the first performance improvement folks do is a less restrictive exhaust and air filter.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Doesn't the K&N filter increase air flow by decreasing the filtration? :unknown: So it's just a less efficient air filter. Couldn't you just zip-tie some pantie hose around the intake instead?

Back in my Jeeping days you'd see all sorts of debates on the forums about K&N filters. I just used the stock filter setup in my Jeep and I managed to get around the trails and the roads just as well as guys that put the K&N's on their rigs.

I'm still not sure what purpose the extra horsepower the OP is trying to gain is going to serve. So you get a couple extra ponies out of the engine. Will that let you go 27 mph instead of 25 mph? Or will will let you haul 510 pounds in the bed instead of just 500?

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
Doesn't the K&N filter increase air flow by decreasing the filtration? :unknown: So it's just a less efficient air filter. Couldn't you just zip-tie some pantie hose around the intake instead?
Pretty much. I think they augment it a bit by having you apply filter oil. You could probably do your own tests by taking a run then removing the air filter completely and taking another run. If you feel a difference then perhaps a less restrictive air filter is a route you could go.

I'm still not sure what purpose the extra horsepower the OP is trying to gain is going to serve. So you get a couple extra ponies out of the engine. Will that let you go 27 mph instead of 25 mph? Or will will let you haul 510 pounds in the bed instead of just 500?
Agree. I had asked how much power the OP hoped to add. There's nothing you're likely to do short of adding Nitrous, a blower or a turbo that is going to really make a huge difference. You're not likely going to turn a 750cc into a 1000cc engine.

It reminds me of a YouTube channel I watch. A somewhat portly guy bought a new Honda 4-stroke 250cc dual-sport bike and immediately discovered it was a total turd on the street. So he proceeded to throw money at it like there was no tomorrow... custom exhaust, custom air filter, tuner computer, etc. In the end the 250cc bike performed like a 255cc bike. :) He eventually sold it and bought a 650cc dual-sport. :)

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
I wouldn't think less air filtration would be a very hot idea for a tractor. Dusty conditions and all that.
The OP was asking about a Gator.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I still think the best option is buy something with more HP, as the 250cc motorcycle guy did in the end.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Pretty much. I think they augment it a bit by having you apply filter oil. You could probably do your own tests by taking a run then removing the air filter completely and taking another run. If you feel a difference then perhaps a less restrictive air filter is a route you could go.

Agree. I had asked how much power the OP hoped to add. There's nothing you're likely to do short of adding Nitrous, a blower or a turbo that is going to really make a huge difference. You're not likely going to turn a 750cc into a 1000cc engine.

It reminds me of a YouTube channel I watch. A somewhat portly guy bought a new Honda 4-stroke 250cc dual-sport bike and immediately discovered it was a total turd on the street. So he proceeded to throw money at it like there was no tomorrow... custom exhaust, custom air filter, tuner computer, etc. In the end the 250cc bike performed like a 255cc bike. :) He eventually sold it and bought a 650cc dual-sport. :)
So that’s pretty much my dirt bike history growing up. I started riding turds, then when I was old enough to have a job, I bought a YZ125. Rode the heck outta that thing for years. Got older, and friends were riding 250’s, so I bought a CR250R. Rode the heck outta it. Put all the good stuff on it, exhaust, intake, jets, clutch. Then I had the cylinder bored and plated, rode the heck outta it. Got older, (and bigger) and got my first CR500 for hill climbing and such. More than enough power, but I threw on the extra stuff and even put a 12 tooth front sprocket on it. Then I broke my femur on it...and then my collar bone... So I sold it and got a 450F. There’s always more power to eek out on something, but unless you like tinkering with it, just upgrade to something bigger.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Haha that was almost me. I started off with a 250cc dual sport and it did fine on the trails and gravel but sucked on the highway. I contempalted a big bore kit and carb but in the end it was cheaper to just buy a 450cc bike.

To the OP, what is your goal for wanting more HP? Higher top speed? Better acceleration/towing/hill climbing? Sometimes those goals can be achieved with a gearing change.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts