Old Pa-pa
11,762 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,742 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I've got 260,024 miles on my 2000 Tahoe (new body style). Been a fantastic truck outside some usual wear items (brakes, tires, front wheel bearings). I'm looking at another 2000 3/4t to replace it with because I need more towing capacity and having this much time on a slush box makes me nervous (used tranny is worth half the retail sticker on the whole vehicle right now). Engine runs like a top.

GM bailout and all that on current production is a side note on the real issue: They want way too much money for their trucks these days.

Ford's aluminum could be a problem if they didn't do it right.

Dodge's biggest issue is they outsource everything but the sheet metal and interior, and they can't build a decent cab (or an attractive truck) to save their souls. Cummins/ZF/Dana drivetrain is a thing of beauty - but only if I could put it under a cab I want to roll in. My buddy got a gasser ram 1500 a couple years ago, dash was rattling before his first oil change: 2800mi.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've got 260,024 miles on my 2000 Tahoe (new body style). Been a fantastic truck outside some usual wear items (brakes, tires, front wheel bearings). I'm looking at another 2000 3/4t to replace it with because I need more towing capacity and having this much time on a slush box makes me nervous (used tranny is worth half the retail sticker on the whole vehicle right now). Engine runs like a top.

GM bailout and all that on current production is a side note on the real issue: They want way too much money for their trucks these days.

Ford's aluminum could be a problem if they didn't do it right.

Dodge's biggest issue is they outsource everything but the sheet metal and interior, and they can't build a decent cab (or an attractive truck) to save their souls. Cummins/ZF/Dana drivetrain is a thing of beauty - but only if I could put it under a cab I want to roll in. My buddy got a gasser ram 1500 a couple years ago, dash was rattling before his first oil change: 2800mi.
All manufacturers want excessive money for trucks. Simply put, demand is sky high for 4 door units that rarely (if ever) tow or haul anything heavier than a cooler of your favorite beverage. Cost is what keeps me from getting a full size truck.

I may get something like a Honda Ridgeline, as it will fit my needs. The dual action tailgate and under the bed storage are great features.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
I hope they do better than they did with their ignition recall. The alarm always goes off on the HHR now.:nunu:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had a horrible time with a 1984 S10 Tahoe and the 2.8L V6. I loved the 2000 S10 4x4 4.3L V6 I replaced it with until 34,000 miles when the wheel bearings started gonig bad. I haven't owned GM anything since 2002.

My 2010 F150 was purchased used with 23,000 miles, and it was a fleet vehicle. Now that I have a daily driver jeep the truck only gets dump and towing duties. It stays in the garage most of the time. It has 117,000 or so on it. Problem free and paid for.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Um, in '84 there were no Tahoes. You had a blazer. ;)

My mom had a '97 blazer that had the 4.3 and it had fuel injection issues after 90K.

I got my Tahoe with 174,800 miles on it. I paid well under what it was worth when we bought it, and it's still worth most of that now according to Kelly and the listings I'm seeing on CL. :good2:

·
Premium Member
14,742 Posts
You can do that all you want I still don't drive GM unless I drive my FIL somewhere.

When brake lines go in vehicles under 10 yrs old, wheel bearings up the you know what, the deal with key switches, most of the pickups are way overpriced , look at TV and newspaper ads ,,,get $10000 off ... come on....

bad enough when the others are saying they can discount them $5-7500..

Pickups always have been overpriced its no secret.

I know I opened another can of worms

Not saying ,their vehicles don't last , it just the amount of money needed to keep them running,, some have no problems others more so.
My little brother just had to have new rings and not sure what else, under 75000 5yrs old Chevy 1500 4x4.
The only saving grace is GM paid for this one. How many others had to paid for repairs that should have been recall , no most are if someone comes in and complains maybe we will fix at no charge or maybe not.
Forget what years Olds Cutlass we owned , late 70-early 80's, with 4 cly. Sucked oil up into the air cleaner , every 1-500 had to replace air filter element. Engine tested perfect , all up to specks, after 3 different GM dealers , left car and told them if I drove it home and it sucked oil in air cleaner housing ( driving 22 miles 1/4" or more oil ), it would be burnt and GM would be buying me a new car. Long story short it was fixed , dealer had to install another baffle inside valve cover ,, yes other customers was having the same problem, and no recall or mention of how to fix this problem. This deal cost me close to $500.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It's funny how some folks have bad luck with certain brands. For me, Dodge has never worked well, but a friend of mine swears by them. That said, he's always working on something on it and it's about to rust to pieces.

I had an 86 S-10 2.8L with 185k and never replaced anything but the usual wear items.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Up till the mid 80's I drove GM , Things like this is why I don't drive GM product. I know I'll catch heck for the remark.
It's a free country, Gene, drive whatever you want. You gave part of your life keeping it free.:usa

·
Administrator
20,720 Posts
Please. Let's not turn this into a brand bashing thread. :hi:

·
Premium Member
14,742 Posts
Please. Let's not turn this into a brand bashing thread. :hi:
I agree if Adm wants to remove my posting feel free to do so

and then we can be back on subject

·
Administrator
20,720 Posts
We're ok Gene. I just don't want to see it go where it shouldn't. :good2:

·
Premium Member
14,742 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
What really pains me is to see a once mighty cornerstone of American manufacturing sliding so far down the drain. And before you jump on my case, it isn't just GM. Fifty years ago "The Big Three" and the Cities of Detroit and Flint were booming metropolitan centers. Now Ford is the only one not on some sort of life support... Barely. Chrysler is owned by Fiat. GM is a floundering whale. Flint is falling apart at the seams and Detroit is rapidly turning into a ghost town. There is more than enough blame to go around too.

In any case, somebody better come out with a truck I like soon because I think my old F150 is finally entering its death throes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts