Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After acquiring a trailer large enough to haul my old a around, I discovered that the rear wheel spacing was 84" but my trailer is only 82" between fenders. Great! Now I have to change the wheel spacing on a tractor that probably hasn't been changed in 70 years. How do you do this? With a custom made puller and a lot of sweat and cursing.

It actually worked very well but those damned cast rims are heavy! My advise is to have help and clean up the hubs and splines real well and lube up before re assembling. Now my spacing is at just under 80" and I know they will move again if I need to.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Yea they are no fun if haven't been moved in a long time and heavy. It took me two days to get one moved. I cleaned my splines up good and put anti seize on the splines.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have had the same experience with not being able to get a tractor loaded that was too wide so I got a modified deck over trailer that I can drive over the wheel wells. Moving the wheels on my A was very similar to yours but I like your puller better, mine involved using a 20ton hydraulic jack.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had a similar puller setup on my A with a 10 ton porta-power. It didn't move even after applying a lot of heat. When I get more time I will try removing the cast wheel center and see if that helps. The other side was easy. Just loosened the bolts and it slid right out.

100_8942 (Medium).JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts