Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found some morels! :yahoo:

I have permission on private property and for the last few years someone else is sneaking in ahead of me. So now I take them smaller than I used to. If I leave them to get bigger the "other guy" gets them.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, uploaded before the pictures did.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
:thumbup1gif:Thanks will have to start looking

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Oops, uploaded before the pictures did.
I've seen those in the woods before. They always kind of weirded me out. I do like mushrooms though. The kind that the "experts" decide are edible. That being said I'll eat almost any type of seafood or shellfish. Cooked or raw.

:fed:

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's finally warm enough here but it's been way too dry. We got a little rain this morning, maybe just enough to get them to pop. I'm allergic to mushrooms but I still get out every year to hunt them. The ginseng plants just came up this week too!

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's finally warm enough here but it's been way too dry. We got a little rain this morning, maybe just enough to get them to pop. I'm allergic to mushrooms but I still get out every year to hunt them. The ginseng plants just came up this week too!
I've never hunted ginseng. I thought they're in China :laugh: I don't know if they're in MI ? :dunno: Pictures?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I believe ginseng will grow in MI but the conditions need to be perfect. I think the US is the second largest producer, Korea being first. Most if it goes to China. I've been looking for years and just found my first one last year while walking the dog, 30 yards from my back door! It just came up again this week, as of yesterday it wasn't completely unfurled yet.
About 5 years ago the morels were popping up in my lawn. The largest one I've found was the size of a beer can, no kidding. I haven't seen any for years. I think tomorrow will be the day! It looks like you found quite a few. I've often wondered if they will get bigger if I leave them another day, but with the deer population around here I don't take a chance.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Dumb question..... How do you eat these? What do they taste like?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
They come and gone here in Tn. Can't tell you how they taste but I can tell you they are good. We always mix them in with eggs. Soak'em in salt water over night. Then clean'em and slice them to the size you want and fry'em and just before they're done put eggs in with them and scramble the eggs with them till done. Season to taste and you have a great breakfast. :bigthumb: We didn't get as much this year. Will have to find a different place to look for them.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
They taste like whatever you roll them in!

We have them at the farm, when the poachers don't get there first! Up until yesterday, it was too dry to find very many on our farm. They price them @ $50-60/gallon here! For us, they make a nice "something different", but not a big deal!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I've never hunted ginseng. I thought they're in China :laugh: I don't know if they're in MI ? :dunno: Pictures?
They are actually 2 different varieties, American Ginseng and Chinese Ginseng. I don't think the Chinese ginseng grows well in North America. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I've always soaked morels in saltwater overnight . My Mom always did that . Then simply coat them in flour & fry in margarine . JMO , but the I taste more of the mushroom flavor that way .

Personally , I love them so much I've literally made myself sick eating too many ! But I suppose , like anything else , if they were plentiful & you could eat them every night you'd get tired of them . I'd love to try !!!!!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Our property in TN was ideal for mushrooms, a rocky hill that had an underground spring and stayed damp through most of the year. Never found any morels, but did find a few 'bitter boleets'. We assured they weren't poisonous, but they're strikingly similar to another non-poisonous mushroom that's supposed to have a buttery flavor. Never found the buttery type, but it only took one bitter mushroom to turn me off trying most of the hillside discoveries. That thing was nasty. :laugh: I still like mushrooms, but I want to know exactly what it is before eating it. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Eat 'em like any other Shroom, but the best way is to simply fry them up in butter.

They are a sweet, but strong flavored shroom, that rivals Black Truffles.

Used in a cream sauce reduction, and poured over a good Fillet, or even chicken rolls is my favorite.

They Dry real well, and when reconstituted with a good Marsala, things can get downright silly good.

Ours are still small, but the rain jump started them. I figure I'll snag what came up on Friday.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They will get bigger to point if left to grow. But some else is slipping into my spot and getting them too. So I leave very few (real small ones).

I also soak overnight in salt water (gets the bugs out), rinse, slice and fry with butter. Go great with a good steak or venison tenderloins.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Split them long ways and fry them in butter. It is best to enjoy them alone right beside a medium rare filet. Very hard to explain the flavor, but they are truly delicious.

·
Registered
357 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts