Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here own a Morton, Wick, or Lester Pole Barn? I am currently comparing the 3 brands for a summer build. My plans are a 30x40 with 12 foot porches on each side for a max foot print of 54x40. Total height cant exceed 24 Ft. Wall height max is 12 feet. If you are an owner, please tell what you like best about the building and what you don't like. 30x40 is the MAX enclosed I can have in my Twp.

AWK

·
Registered
311 Posts
AWK,
I built a Morton building 5 years ago. This one is 30 x 54 WITH 9.5' side walls. The overhead door is 10' x 8' and the sliding end door opening is 12' wide and 10' high. The city would only allow a 15' high max building so I went with a vaulted rafter to get the extra clearance for my old 4020 with cab. This is the second Morton building I've put up. I like their warranty and once materials are delivered they erected the whole thing in 4.5 days. I do have some pictures of the building going up if you are interested in seeing them. Here's one of the finished building to start with.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
AWK,
I built a Morton building 5 years ago. This one is 30 x 54 WITH 9.5' side walls. The overhead door is 10' x 8' and the sliding end door opening is 12' wide and 10' high. The city would only allow a 15' high max building so I went with a vaulted rafter to get the extra clearance for my old 4020 with cab. This is the second Morton building I've put up. I like their warranty and once materials are delivered they erected the whole thing in 4.5 days. I do have some pictures of the building going up if you are interested in seeing them. Here's one of the finished building to start with.
Nice, I could sure use one of those:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Cleary

I know this isn't one you are considering but, I love my Cleary building. It is 13 years old, 50 x 104 x 12, fully insulated with interior steel liner. And yes, I recommend them and would do it all over again if had to. Good luck on your build.

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
With 24' height max to work with I would want a gamble style roof for a loft or 2nd floor. When I built the PB at the house I was limited to a 10' wall and 15' height.

Morton are well built and do not cut corners. It used to be (when I checked almost 20 years ago) you had to build their way or not at all. They had a strange 7.5' center to center for poles and roof pitch was 3/12 until you exceeded a certain width. Their steel was rolled by their factory and did not match other steels, so you could not easily match it. Maybe you can buy repair/replacement steel from them?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far, Wicks is showing me the best price with a good quality building. Morton is the overall best but.... They cam in at 67K without and Electric, Concrete, Site Prep.... Thank for shareing and keep them coming. Im still in the planning stage on open to Ideas.

I need to be able to get a Motorhome inside. The Motorhome is 12' 5/8" tall. Sense I can only have a 12 foot wall my zoning guy showed me how I can get around that! Good thing he understands people have needs. I understand the last guy in that position did not! The Front Garage door will be 14 ft by 14ft so I can drive inside to work on it. It will be store under the overhang (One side will have a crushed stone base, this is where I will get my extra height from)

AWK

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
So far, Wicks is showing me the best price with a good quality building. Morton is the overall best but.... They cam in at 67K without and Electric, Concrete, Site Prep.... Thank for shareing and keep them coming. Im still in the planning stage on open to Ideas.

I need to be able to get a Motorhome inside. The Motorhome is 12' 5/8" tall. Sense I can only have a 12 foot wall my zoning guy showed me how I can get around that! Good thing he understands people have needs. I understand the last guy in that position did not! The Front Garage door will be 14 ft by 14ft so I can drive inside to work on it. It will be store under the overhang (One side will have a crushed stone base, this is where I will get my extra height from)

AWK
How or what exactly did the zoning guy tell you to be able to get around the heighth restriction? Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AWK, I've posted this before on GTT. Well worth a look.

https://www.permacolumn.com/
Very interesting. I will ask each one of the builders if they will use this. Morton won't! They have all thier own product. I will have to weigh the cost. Statisical numbers show that I will never see the foundation fail... I am just to old. Plus my kids won't want the place, they will sell it! I may be better off in spending that money on some really cool lighting, and put some toward a 4 post hoist! (yes, I want a 4 poster)

AWK

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know this isn't one you are considering but, I love my Cleary building. It is 13 years old, 50 x 104 x 12, fully insulated with interior steel liner. And yes, I recommend them and would do it all over again if had to. Good luck on your build.
Hi Randy, Yes, Cleary makes a nice building. Downside there is no dealer in my area.

AWK

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
AWK, I've posted this before on GTT. Well worth a look.

https://www.permacolumn.com/
That is standard equipment on Morton Buildings now, starting last year I think. I think the "new and improved" treated lumber drove them to it.

I have 2 Morton buildings now, and plan to put up a new machine shed, and a cattle shelter maybe next year. I don't think I would consider anything else.
They've been doing it for over 100 years now, and keep improving all the time.
I know they cost more, but...well I guess I don't have to explain to a John Deere owner.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Anyone here own a Morton, Wick, or Lester Pole Barn? I am currently comparing the 3 brands for a summer build. My plans are a 30x40 with 12 foot porches on each side for a max foot print of 54x40. Total height cant exceed 24 Ft. Wall height max is 12 feet. If you are an owner, please tell what you like best about the building and what you don't like. 30x40 is the MAX enclosed I can have in my Twp.

AWK

Forgive me, but what dictates the need for a "Brand Name" pole building? I'm certain there are barn/pole building contractors in your area that will build a traditional pole and girt steel skin building to your specifications that has more options for customization and will likely cost less overall.:dunno:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts
Very interesting. I will ask each one of the builders if they will use this. Morton won't! They have all thier own product. I will have to weigh the cost. Statisical numbers show that I will never see the foundation fail... I am just to old. Plus my kids won't want the place, they will sell it! I may be better off in spending that money on some really cool lighting, and put some toward a 4 post hoist! (yes, I want a 4 poster)

AWK
The company (Kistler Buildings) that put my building up would not do the building at all without using them.
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/barns-buildings/1874-my-20-x-32-kistler-building.html

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgive me, but what dictates the need for a "Brand Name" pole building? I'm certain there are barn/pole building contractors in your area that will build a traditional pole and girt steel skin building to your specifications that has more options for customization and will likely cost less overall.:dunno:
That is a very good question. I have searched locally and haven't found a lot to choose from and to date not one of them (locally) has returned my calls. Business must be very good! I'm still open to local... I just need to see thier work and have good references. In my area there are plenty of Handymans' that say they will build... if they complete it your lucky... never pay before it's complete. Even paying as you go is difficult because I am not sure they would even pay thier own bills.

AWK

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts
That is standard equipment on Morton Buildings now, starting last year I think. I think the "new and improved" treated lumber drove them to it.

I have 2 Morton buildings now, and plan to put up a new machine shed, and a cattle shelter maybe next year. I don't think I would consider anything else.
They've been doing it for over 100 years now, and keep improving all the time.
I know they cost more, but...well I guess I don't have to explain to a John Deere owner.
:thumbup1gif:I totally agree!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How or what exactly did the zoning guy tell you to be able to get around the heighth restriction? Thanks
He showed exactly where he is going to measure. It will be from the floor (or top of crushed stone) to the soffet at the 30x40 Enclosed portion. He said to build it where I can remove some of the crushed stone to get the 12'6" I am looking for. I really only need 12' 5/8" under the one overhang. They don't measure door height so I can use a hybrid truss to give me 16ft clearance inside (thinking basketball hoop) and have a 14'x14' front garage door. One thing is that my frost level is only 24" by code. The soil is sand and we get snow so soon that the ground rarely freezes.

AWK

·
Registered
395 Posts
My uncle put up a Lester building. It isn't anything special and compared to ours, its pretty chincy.

We have 3 Structural Buildings on the farm. They are built well, and priced right. They will also build to your needs/wants. They are Minnesota based and I'm not sure how far out they have expanded yet. Definitely worth the call. Drop my dad's name and you might get a deal...?

Structural Buildings

Another option is Menards. We had one before putting up a Structural in its place.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts