Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 · (Edited)
As noted, it's best to apply the herbicide, after taking the tops off the weeds, so I loaded up the sprayer full of water, and tested the load while mowing.
During the course of the dry run, (not spraying) all went well, balance-wise.

The Sprayer Booms caught on the chain-link fencing in a few areas, so I was bending them back in place.
That's not a good thing, catching, and having to straighten them, too many times, as they will eventually FAIL.
I got to thinking, about how I can avoid this.

This is how I remedied catching the fence, and other things. The Poles are 7ft, and centered. Which after a test run, are perfect, in reference to the spray width as well.

Reactions: arlen and Kbar
Discussion starter · #22 ·
I want to add some colorant dye to the herbicide mix.
I'm not paying $30 for a bottle!!

What's a CHEAP and effective alternative?
And, don't tell me to get the John Deere brand!! LOLOL
I want CHEAP :p

RIT Dye?

RIT Dye?
No I would not recommend RIT dye..go to Amazon..lots of “cheap” dyes available....

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I'm not sure what to get. I watched a video, comparing three, and they all seemed to not work well, visually

I'm not sure what to get. I watched a video, comparing three, and they all seemed to not work well, visually
Lawn Star seems to have good reviews, recommended mixing ratio is 1/2 ounce per gallon of water.

On edit Lazer also has good reviews

Why get rid of them? They provide some food for the insects in your otherwise green desert. In the olden days, they used to actually put clover seed into grass seed.

2,4D (active ingredient) will generally take care of both, but you have to be VERY CAREFUL in using it. In warm temps, just the act of spraying it is enough to volatilize a lot of it. Then it can drift for miles away until it hits a cold spot and condenses out to kill someone's shrubs or veggies. Read the label to see where any excess goes. It isn't tied up in clay soil like excess of glyphosate is. Glyphosate would kill everything green though.

Ralph

I kill both dandelions and creeping jenny (bind weed) with plain old 2,4-D. But don't spray them till after the first hard freeze. Really cleared then all out.

rob

Reactions: ttazzman

RIT Dye?
i have never had much luck with colorant dyes ....but i used green dye....let us know if you find a good die that works........pro hint (sorta)....lol.....dyes can make a heck of a mess very hard to control when mixing etc seems like no matter how careful some gets away from me....hard on floors...hands....etc.....last time i tried a dye i added it to the tank out in the yard....

I used the blue dye a few times when I first started spraying. Holy crap. On small drop will turn your hands blue. It really didn't help much on green grass. So I don't usually use it.

Discussion starter · #31 · (Edited)
I actually feel the same way, but at the same time, it would be nice to see where I've sprayed. After watching videos, the color change where they sprayed, really was not noticeable.
You see where I mentioned RIT Dye. There are some bright color choices that will be visible on grass. I think.
I have not found any info, to know if it's compatible. I wouldn't want to neutralize the efforts!!
Edit- I take that back. I just found this related to the RIT Dyes

A different color would probably be more helpful than blue on green grass. Oh BTW, if you have pets, they will have blue paws until it gets rained off....

Discussion starter · #33 ·
A different color would probably be more helpful than blue on green grass. Oh BTW, if you have pets, they will have blue paws until it gets rained off....
Pink, Purple, Red, Blue, would probably be the most noticeable. And it's pretty cheap.
Over spray may be an issue with setting into wood, concrete and whatnot. And, I would think the color would not necessarily set, once it's dried.
Moisture, after the initial drying, may wick the dye again.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
That would be comical to see on the dogs. LOL
Until they track in inside.

Reactions: Treefarmer
That would be comical to see on the dogs. LOL
Until they track in inside.
On the new white carpet, lol.

Treefarmer

Discussion starter · #37 ·
White carpet?
My place is in the country. Eight dogs, in/out through their dog door, 24/7/365
And they won't wipe their dang feet!!
I've got the tracking of muddy feet, nipped in the bud.
Soon, all carpet is going bye-bye.

Reactions: Treefarmer
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.