Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After moving to Florida, we quickly learned that it's a bad idea to store many things in a hot garage. My wife has a lot of Christmas decorations, so I took advantage of an unexpectedly large crawl space (height tapers from 8+ feet to less than 2 feet. The initial dig, terracing, shelves, and lighting for the tallest portion took me about a month. We then learned about Florida humidity. We hired someone to install a plastic barrier and dehumidifier because they could get a much more efficient unit than I could. (We never noticed any increase in utility bills.) So... here are photos of our 1,000 square foot humidity controlled "Christmas warehouse" that stays between 60 and 75 degrees F year round.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Huh, a home in Florida that’s not built on a slab... now I’ve seen everything :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
I've only been inside a couple dozen homes down in FL but never seen one built with a crawl space. I thought slab-on-grade was the "norm" for down there.

Is there something unique to your place that it has the crawl space?

It looks pretty mice though! I know when my folks were living down there they had a lot of stuff that got destroyed sitting in the over-heated garage.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Nice!! I agree that it is more like a basement not a crawlspace.....
maybe a crawlment or a basespace or a crawlbase or a....? :hide:

That is all Christmas stuff????!!! I thought we were the only ones that had that much stuff. I had to put the brakes on any more stuff in the attic for fear I'd need more weight bearing walls beneath to hold the weight.

No worries of flooding in your area I hope!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've only been inside a couple dozen homes down in FL but never seen one built with a crawl space. I thought slab-on-grade was the "norm" for down there.

It looks pretty mice though! I know when my folks were living down there they had a lot of stuff that got destroyed sitting in the over-heated garage.
We're Northwest Florida -- aka "LA" (Lower Alabama) or Redneck Riviera, which actually has varied terrain and climate. The house extends off of a slope, with one end held up by the garage and a long, skinny walkout basement. The basement wall includes a standard steel door into the crawl space. We really lucked out because my wife's many artificial Christmas trees either won't fit or can't take the heat elsewhere.

Here's a photo of the long skinny basement, taken last year, as I began converting it into a workshop. The "crawl space" door is on the right. I'll try to do an update before long. I like this house... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I was thinking that also looks like a nice place to work on a tractor out of the FL heat!! :good2:

Might need a wider door however! Good Luck selling that idea! :mocking: :munch:

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts

I have two friends that Live In Florida that have Basements One is In Greater Miami They Blasted Into Coral and have a full 8ft Basement actually most of there 12 house subdivision has Basements all were Blasted In to coral The Other friend is Up In Tallahassee also as a Full finished Basement. Yeah when You think of Florida you don't think basement(you think optional Under house swimming pool) There are actually another area In Miami where Homes right on the Atlantic have Basements I would think twice about a basement living that close to the coast though. I bet the Insurance companies have a field Day with those Homes after a Hurricane:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Not sure what type of construction is used in the OP house but this style of "foundation" is very common with manufacturered homes. They will sit on block like this and not have a slab. They are anchored down to keep them from blowing away.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure what type of construction is used in the OP house but this style of "foundation" is very common with manufacturered homes. They will sit on block like this and not have a slab. They are anchored down to keep them from blowing away.
Not my house, but in case you're wondering, this is not an approved hurricane anchoring technique...
:confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,714 Posts
Very nice crawl space,, NOT I think of crawl space of 1' ,,you now have a very nice basement. :bigthumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts