Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Seems like a great site for us John Deere folks to use and share information.:thumbup1gif:
I’m looking for others who may have added lights on their 2320’s ROPS. While I was careful to makes sure the tractor fit through my shed doors (width), I did not account for the height of the ROPS, so now I keep them folded all the time. I’ve got less than 50 hours on it now and do not have any real hills or grades to deal with so I should be OK roll-over wise on it. Anyway, I’m interested in seeing who else may have mounted a set of lights (for plowing and other things) that would be on the lower part of the ROPS which would light forward and reverse. I know John Deere makes the kit and it plugs in under the seat which I will end up getting, but I’m most interested in how others may have done the mounting and if anyone has come up with a way to toggle the reverse light too.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Welcome to DT Joe:drinks:

Just so everybody knows, Joe is the guy I built the plow for in this thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?542-2320-Custom-plow&highlight=plow

Anyway, back to the lights. Mounting them low on the ROPS is a option, just about the other lights-the problem is the glare from them being that low and right next to you. One guy on TBN made some really cool guards to help with that problem...don't remember who though...

I mounted mine up high, 2 front and two rear, powered from a new 30 amp circuit I made that is only energized when the key is ON. I also added 4 switches for control. One switch is for the two fronts, one for the two rears one for the strobe, and one for the AUX outlet.

The JD lights are made my JW Speaker Company and/or Hobbs, they can be sourced elsewhere for less. I bought mine from Messicks.

Here are some pictures of my setup:

Attachments

Reactions: Duke Snyder

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Welcome to GTT Joe! I have only messed with my lights on my cab so I will not be much help.

Always having the ROPS folded makes this more of a challenge. Could you take the lens off the front of the hazard light to see if having headlamps at that height would interfere with your vision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kenny & Brian.
For everyone else, Kenny did a really awesome job on setting up a Myers Plow (6.5') on my 2320. It's not only cool, but he engineered it to be a quick flip between Plow, Loader, or Deck. I'm thinking I can get it done in less than 10 minutes to go from any mode to any another. I'll try to post some pics later too.

:slap-yourself-emotiI did a little bit of research and found this image by a fellow who seems to have built almost exactly what I had been imagining to do:good2:

I'm off to the dealership to get them ordered as soon as I can...:cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Those look nice Joe...If the glare proves to be a problem we can make you some guards:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Welcome Joe to GTT. I can not help you with the rear lights but I used the Deer kit and made my own light guards Kenny is refering to. With them mounted so low they are a killer to look into when backing up. This set up solved that problem. It works really well. Mine are mounted on both my machines.

Attachments

Reactions: Duke Snyder

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Welcome Joe to DT. I can not help you with the rear lights but I used the Deer kit and made my own light guards Kenny is refering to. With them mounted so low they are a killer to look into when backing up. This set up solved that problem. It works really well. Mine are mounted on both my machines.

Thanks Randy...I couldn't for the life of me remember where I saw that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Randy,
Wow that looks really good:thumbup1gif:, I think I will need to look at setting up some guards like that (that’s anice plus with the digital clock too). I see your 2520 is also sporting a very nicely mounted tool box too, do you have some more detail pics of it to share?

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
I think I will need to look at setting up some guards like that
New project for me?:lol:

Randy, I assume that is a piece of box you used? Can you please share the dimensions since I am sure I will be getting some for Joe...

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
New project for me?:lol:

Randy, I assume that is a piece of box you used? Can you please share the dimensions since I am sure I will be getting some for Joe...
Kenny,
I used 6 x 6 x 3/16 wall steel tubing. I contoured the shape with my plazma cutter. Both top and bottom pieces are the 6 x 6. The JD flood lights just fit. Will you be wanting actual design demensions as well? I would have to do some disassembly and measuring.

I am keeping count, you owe me two now.:lol: How is the can crusher coming?

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Thanks Randy, I just needed the size of the box...The crusher is on hold because I have not found a deal on a cylinder and valve-but I am looking.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm off to the dealership to get them ordered as soon as I can...:cool:
Dunno the price from the dealer on the kit...or what kit your getting, but a good source for the same lights is Sloan Express"

65w 4x6 Oval: http://shopsmart.networkwcs.com/sloanex/cart.cgi?PRODUCT=097535&SPD=VbE89943745amaw

35w 3x5 Oval: http://shopsmart.networkwcs.com/sloanex/cart.cgi?PRODUCT=097525&SPD=VbE89943745amaw

Oh they also carry the different beam patterns (Trap & Flood)...i'd probably reccomend putting Traps facing foward and floods facing back...

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Dunno the price from the dealer on the kit...or what kit your getting, but a good source for the same lights is Sloan Express"

65w 4x6 Oval: http://shopsmart.networkwcs.com/sloanex/cart.cgi?PRODUCT=097535&SPD=VbE89943745amaw

35w 3x5 Oval: http://shopsmart.networkwcs.com/sloanex/cart.cgi?PRODUCT=097525&SPD=VbE89943745amaw

Oh they also carry the different beam patterns (Trap & Flood)...i'd probably reccomend putting Traps facing foward and floods facing back...
Dave, Have you used them? What brand are they?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Personally I have not...but I know they are JW Speaker units.

Over on a farm forum I frequent the new rage is to use the 3x5 Speaker lights for HID Conversions....For a while guys were buying the housings from Deere at 70+ each, then Sloan's started carrying & stocking them....
Not to hijack the post, but If I coulda found a nice place to hide the ballast's, I prolly woulda HID'ed my 3520 by now.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Hey Kenny and Joe,

Here are a couple of tips to keep in mind when designing these. I already mentioned that the Deere Flood lights are a tight fit, but the hazard lights are also just as tight. The dimensions of the 6 x 6 x 3/16 steel tube are such that I could not even use quarter inch wall. The upper guard is welded to the lower one and uses the existing mounting of the hazard lights just as the Deere kit would do. I decided to not use the Deere guards for esthetic reasons though I could have just welded the upper guard to it. The Deere guards were a different material thickness as well as different corner radii.

Secondly, I positioned the floods behind the hazards for mounting and geometry reasons. This arrangement allows for less material toward the front keeping the design compact. I did not think that the floods slight exposure at the rear would be too much of an issue and have not been to this point. It provides for easy access to replace the bulbs. However, I am not sure that the 2320 shares the same ROPS as the 2520, and with this geometry I had to provide a relief in the guard for the pin and the ROPS swing plate. This area ended up really tight as well. In fact, the pin can only be installed from the inside out now.

Lastly, the amount that the guards extend forward was based on me, my seat position, and light position. I get very good shielding coverage with what I have. Something you will want to keep in mind. I also wanted more than just shielding from the light. I wanted full guarding as pine trees were not playing nice with the exposed floods. I am sure a lot of this is racing in your minds already. I offer again, if you want design measurements or even more pictures I will be more than happy to accommodate you. I know you have other criteria with a rear light to keep in mind. Oh, and I do have 2 extra pairs of Deere brackets I am willing to get rid of. Hopes any of this helps ya.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow Randy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow Randy – That’s Awesome!!!:good2:
I love how you integrated the crowbar storage into to brace.
It seems my light project just got a bit more added (tool box) to it….:drinks:

You help make this site rock...

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Kenny:

Your lights look almost identical to the Peterson's I put on mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts