Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if it the extra cover we have around this year or the lack of a harsh and cooler winter, but we seem to have more mice. While picking and moving pumpkins, my wife seen a few mice. I have seen one with the lawn mower, and tried to run countless ones over in the alfalfa field.

So last weekend, after my wife had a run in with a mouse outside, I went out and bought 2 of the tomcat traps with poison inside them. I was a bit excited thinking I might see results or a dead mouse int he garage driveway. So far, nothing.

So after some talking to my aunt, she reminded me of a few ways my grandfather used to catch mice. I took his 5 gallon pail method and applied a little technology to try to make a better repeating mouse trap that I would be able to see the results with.

So I had a bucket that someone left at my house (if your reading this Dad, pick up your crap:lol:, yeah, I used it) I cut up an metal clothes hanger that I get free with my shirts getting ironed, and I bought a pepsi. So in total, I have just over $1.25 into this and I was able to enjoy the pepsi. :thumbup1gif:

My hope here is that the mice will climb the 2x4 looking for the peanut butter I have all over the pop bottle. Once they are up there, I hope they reach out to try to get the peanut butter and find them-self on a spinning bottle falling to their death in 6"s of water. There might be a flaw in my plan as i have no clue how close to put the 2x4, but I have time to experiment before the snow flies and I have to pack it up for the winter.

Here are my pictures. I am open to all suggestions and plan changes. :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Looks pretty cool too me! The perfect distance will be hard to judge, but I think it will definitely work, very inexpensive as well :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
719 Posts
We have had issues with mice all year. Luckily none in the house, but my shed and camper saw way too much traffic over the past winter and spring. I have considered ideas like this one but also wonder about other critters? Do bigger animals like foxes, rabbits, raccoons, and even deer get attracted to peanut butter out in the open? I will look forward to your updates.

Lee

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Good place for a game cam !

Nothing else it would be good entertainment. Wondering if he can crawl out? After the poured floor at new house before framing started we had a couple fall into sump pump pit. They were able to crawl out.

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
You need to set up a game camera.

:lol:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I like that idea, in fact it is similar to one I had. I wanted to put a platform out over the bucket with peanut butter on the end, and the platform weighted so when a mouse went out on it, the platform tipped down and the mouse fell into the bucket, then the platform tipped back up. I think your idea might work a little better. For those wondering if the mouse could get out, I have trapped mice in buckets before, and anything over about 7" tall is too high for them to jump out, and they can't climb the sides of the bucket.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a game camera set up, but its not on the mouse trap yet. I set it next to my deere blind and I plan to see if the PB stays on it tonight. If its gone again, it will go in front of the game camera.

I do not think raccoons would be so nice to the bottle. I think they would try to rip it off? The pb is on the plastic wrapper on the bottle, so whatever ate it off was fairly gentle and took its time as the bottle was not crushed at all.....

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
I made a similar trap. No luck yet. I think it will get better when the weather turns cold and the mice start invading my barn for shelter. I put the wire from the ramp across to the other side and tye wrapped a plastic cap to the wire and filled it with peanut butter, hoping the mice would fall at some point walking the wire.

Add a couple of drops of dish soap to the water to reduce the surface tension.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I moved the trap 1000 feet from the house to get away from the neighbors dog. Oddly enough, same thing happened. Its going to rain, so I am going to set this up with a camera this weekend. Maybe also pit some pb in a live trap also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Brian, that mouse trap works wonders!! I have one in my barn that I leave set up all year round. The only thing I did different was put a bit of used motor oil in the bottom instead of water. And I used a pop can a not a bottle.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Put a chicken wire fence around it to keep dogs and other large critters away from the trap. I did this to keep my dog from my mouse trap.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"Add a couple of drops of dish soap to the water to reduce the surface tension."
Or..... change the properties of the surface tension and use a bucket of drain oil. That will slow the movement of anything that lands in the liquid.:laugh:

Back in the other house and sometime in the '80's I tried coal for a couple years in my Riteway 37 furnace add-on. It took a while for a new 5gal scuttle of coal to light off at night so I used to "play" with the mice while the ash door was cracked.

I had ramps and some sticks to a trap, a string swing vertical trap and also a variation on that "drowning pool" with the bottle. Mine was simply a trap set on a lath over water in the bucket. This was mainly to drown any "lightly injured" mice and contain the leapy-creepy vermin they carry. Yup, liquid soap keeps the fleas and lice from getting out of the water. You know, I was a mean tricky young b*****d in those days but the cats kept the upstairs clear and I did my best in the basement. Amazing how short a time of sitting still on the shop stool before the never ending supply of mice came out to PLAY AND DIE!

"...and the aroma of Skippy danced in their heads.":laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts