Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw an ad for this product that (allegedly) helps keep mice out of equipment. They have some cool stuff on their site, and the product is a cool concept. I guess time will tell how well it works.

Mouse Blocker Protecting your vehicle

:greentractorride:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Saw an ad for this product that (allegedly) helps keep mice out of equipment. They have some cool stuff on their site, and the product is a cool concept. I guess time will tell how well it works.

Mouse Blocker Protecting your vehicle
I'm curious. Please post if you try it. I bought an ultrasonic system for an under-deck shed several years ago, since the science seemed sound. It was worthless. I also tried capsacin treatments on latticework that squirrels were chewing. That didn't work either (WD-40 did though, so I guess it must taste really bad.).

·
Registered
601 Posts
I use scented dryer sheets, and moth balls. I tuck the dryer sheets up into the dash, and around the battery of the tractor and zero turn. I spread mothballs around the floor, and ground in the barn and shed. Have had a few local farmers tell me they use the same deterrents on, and around their machines.

Always smells so fresh:laugh:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I use scented dryer sheets, and moth balls. I tuck the dryer sheets up into the dash, and around the battery of the tractor and zero turn. I spread mothballs around the floor, and ground in the barn and shed. Have had a few local farmers tell me they use the same deterrents on, and around their machines.

I've used the ultra sonic things, not the same as in OP's post, they didn't seem to make a difference.
I use moth balls in confined spaces, like inside a cabinet that mice had decided to take up residence in.
I use traps, bucket traps with peanut butter for bait.
Those 2 things seem to do the best.

You have to keep at it, clean them out and some more will move in, its a never ending operation.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Im always interested in anything that actually works to keep mice away.

I have the most luck with finding entry ways and closing them, along with outdoor bait stations and traps.
I had mice move into the shed last year, and had not had issues there for several years prior. I tried Fresh Cab, which was the best smell type repellent I could find, and it did nothing. Traps inside the shed didnt work too well either, as they would eventually just avoid them.
I ended up with a "walk the plank" type bucket trap, and it ended the problem in short order.
Seems like any mouse that found its way into the shed, found its way into the bucket too.

This Spring Ill be taking the old T111 siding off and replacing it, along with adding a narrow aluminum flashing strip around the bottom to stop them from chewing through the siding.
Also, for some reason they dont seem to like chewing on painted wood, or at least some dont.
No matter though, once the siding is done, I have a few other things to do with the shed, including moving it a few feet, and once thats done, more bait stations/traps.

Between the mice getting into and destroying stuff, and chipmunks digging under concrete causing settling, and also getting into everything like the mice do, and the squirrels getting into engine compartments to hide nuts, and groundhogs, Id be fine if the rodents moved away...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Rodent Stopper

I've been using this Rodent Repellent spray since fall and haven't had a problem since. A rodent ate some of the fiber covering under the hood under the vent area. I bought the can at Tractor Supply.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Guess we've been fairly lucky. Seem to have the place fairly well mouse proofed to where they don't get in. We keep nearly a dozen baited traps, plus one of those diving boards into a bucket of water, in the garage. Haven't caught one since early February when it got cold and we shut the doors. January was so nice we left the doors open some in the daytime as it was warmer outside than in. Not very mouse-proof with the doors open. The bucket froze so it is out of the picture now.

I put rodent guards on the weather stripping at the bottoms of the overhead doors. Basically a piece of sheet metal that bends around the bottom 6 or 8 inches to keep the rodents from chewing thru the weather strip. That seemed to be the major thing that helped, along with plugging a couple of holes.

Sometimes I set baited traps outside. Good entertainment as the magpies empty the traps. They are pretty smart birds, but not so much that they'll re-bait and set the traps.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I use bait blocks in the little containers to keep the chickens out. Works OK, but not great. I also sit on a bucket and shoot them with .22 bird shot. Not very efficient, but entertaining enough.:laugh:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the 110 volt ones in the shed, it doesn't work as far as I can tell, I still have mice in there.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I've been using this Rodent Repellent spray since fall and haven't had a problem since. A rodent ate some of the fiber covering under the hood under the vent area. I bought the can at Tractor Supply.
Thanks for this information. I do not have problems with mice in my barn, but we have had one mouse get in our house the start of the last 2 fall seasons. I cannot find how they got in.
I found out that Amazon sells repellent by the gallon. I will get that & spray it all the way around the house the end of next summer.

https://www.amazon.com/rodent-stopper-spray/s?k=rodent+stopper+spray

·
Registered
601 Posts
One of the best mouse traps we have installed, is a barn cat from our neighbors. She is a straight up Hunter Killer! Killed and ate both of our parakeets, and will stalk and kill mice when they are in the house, like nobody's business. She's inside/outside, so she'll bring wild birds, baby rabbits and mice, back to the deck for us when she's through with them.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

Eventually they get used to that as well.
I have dryer sheets, moth balls, and fresh cab in my classic car. Still get mice on the traps, and still have damage.

I know the building I store it in is the main problem, not mouse proof at all, but it's what I have.

One of the best mouse traps we have installed, is a barn cat from our neighbors. She is a straight up Hunter Killer! Killed and ate both of our parakeets, and will stalk and kill mice when they are in the house, like nobody's business. She's inside/outside, so she'll bring wild birds, baby rabbits and mice, back to the deck for us when she's through with them.
Yep, this is the best. Dad just hates the mess they make in the shop! Always knocking stuff down off shelves!

·
Registered
322 Posts
so she'll bring wild birds, baby rabbits and mice, back to the deck for us when she's through with them.
We had a back enclosed porch with a kitty door. One time our cat brought us a weasel and left it on the empty returnable Pepsi bottles. I guess he couldn't stand the smell as he usually ate his prey. We couldn't stand the smell either. Had to air it out for about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
A mouse was tearing up some paper in a room in one of my sheds,,
One year I used peppermint oil, that worked,,
this year I used cloves, I put a dozen cloves in one box,, where the papers are,,

WELL, the smell is so strong, even after 4 months, the cloves smell is overwhelming in the room,,, :flag_of_truce:

I will use more cloves next season,, :good2:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I use multiple tactics to keep mice from making nests and chewing wires on my corvette.

1. 14 wood mouse traps baited with peanut butter. They're scattered all around the inside of the garage, close to the walls, with 4 of them under the car close to the tires...

2. A couple of old plastic margarine tubs filled with moth balls.... One under the front of the car, one under the rear...

3. New seals on the bottom of the garage doors...

4. A specially trained, anti mouse, semi-feral, lap/attack cat. His hunting skills and patients are legendary...

5. I leave the hood open on the car, but cover the convertible top and trunk area with an old quilt and sheets. This is a multi-purpose move.. It encourages the cat to rest on top of the car, thereby keeping the mice away from the car. Leaving the hood open discourages the mice from crawling around the engine compartment... They don't want to be seen by the cat...

So far this winter's mouse death toll is, 23 by traps, and 17 by cat... Only a few of the traps are rally productive. The ones under the car have not seen a mouse, but the ones along the walls and under the steps into the house have been most productive!!

20181217_214342.jpg

20190305_151559.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been using Exterminators Choice Vehicle Protection for Mice & Rodent Repellent Vehicle Wiring, Prevents Nesting/Chewing-All Natural-for Rats, Squirrels, Mice…

Has worked very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
As 2 others have stated, dryer sheets placed in tight areas or wiring spots will keep them out. I place a few on lawn tractor flywheel screens, carb area, and behind the dash. I have 4 lawn tractors and it can't be coincidence no mice have bothered my machines, my BIL boat is their hotel and breeding ground.

·
Registered
67 Posts
About 2 years ago, I had a mouse problem in one of my backyard storage rooms, so I bought a box of D-con pellets and moth balls. I got sidetracked (go figure) and left them on the floor, still inside the plastic shopping bag. A couple of weeks later, I went back and discovered the mice had chewed through the bag and boxes, and apparently ate all of the pellets, leaving behind the moth balls. YES, what a romantic scent!

I then reached down in semi-darkness to pull something out of a box and noticed two glowing eyes staring at me. That's when I realized that I not only had a free mouse-blocker, but also a Tractor Barbie-blocker, ... a big, fat, blackish snake. I haven't been back out there since. :scared:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
As 2 others have stated, dryer sheets placed in tight areas or wiring spots will keep them out. I place a few on lawn tractor flywheel screens, carb area, and behind the dash. I have 4 lawn tractors and it can't be coincidence no mice have bothered my machines, my BIL boat is their hotel and breeding ground.
For awhile... It got to the point for us they starting using the dryer sheets as nesting material... :dunno::banghead:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts