Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of movies in my time, and always enjoyed westerns, but nothing so much as a GOOD western, of which I haven't seen that many. I was just wondering what some of you folks thought were very good...your top 10. Below is my top 10; actually I think the first 7 are about as good as they come. I can recommend all of these...and maybe someone will list one I haven't seen. I'm itching for a good western!

1. The Shootist.
John Wayne's best performance of all time, and ironically, his last movie.

2. Shane.
A classic for all time

3. Tom Horn
A movie that Steve McQueen spent a couple years researching; probably the most realistic western I have ever seen. Never received the accolades that it deserves.

4. Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Probably stretching the western genre, but a powerful and moving story, devoid of a lot of the melodrama prominent at the time.

5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

6. Unforgiven

7. The Proposition
A little known move from Australia. Great performance by John Hurt (aka "The Elephant Man").

8. Open Range
What can I say. Great shoot-em-up

9. The Outlaw Josie Wales

10. Tombstone

And there you have it.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
All of my favorite Westerns were John Wayne movies. I liked Tom Horn, as well as Shane, but John Wayne made my favorites.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
I can't pick just 10.:) Like farmgirl,every one of The Duke's westerns are real treasures. Love 'em all,and I never get tired of watching them for the millionth time either!

2Lane you got a pretty good list. Personally, I would rearrange them a bit,but all good movies. I'd have to add The Good,The Bad,and The Ugly in there somewhere,and some of Randolph Scott's westerns too.

·
Premium Member
14,710 Posts
Agree with some of the others, anything with The Duke, Randolph Scott (The Tall T) , Gene Audry (The Old Corral), at present time watching Maverick.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of my favorite Westerns were John Wayne movies. I liked Tom Horn, as well as Shane, but John Wayne made my favorites.
I always liked John Wayne too. Some of his early stuff was a bit stilted, but made some great movies. Besides The Shootist, I also count among my favorite movies of all time "The Quiet Man". Wayne held his own in the midst of some of the most talented actors of thel time, not to mention the magic between him and Maureen O'Hara. The casting couldn't have been better.

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
That is Un-American!!! :flag_of_truce:
I agree, farmgirl. I thought maybe Gizmo forgot to put a smiley after that hurtful statement.

·
Administrator
17,944 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
:hide: :flag_of_truce:

How about Dances With Wolves, maybe not a true western but was a darn good movie.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Maybe not a true Western since it was filmed in Australia but 'Quigley' was a good'in!

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
I'm going to have to go "against the grain" here. I'm also not a fan of JW.....

Clint Eastwood? Now there's a true western star IMHO. I really enjoy pretty much any movie he's done, but his westerns are the best. Unforgiven, The good, the bad, and the ugly, High plains drifter, Pale rider, and The outlaw Josey Wales round out my favorites.

Want another neat spaghetti western? Check out "My name is Nobody." :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hiya,

I would have to say "Blazing Saddles" is my favorite. I know, it's not a "western" but hey, It's got horses, Colt Peacemakers and steam locomotives, close enough for me.

For the classic western, "My Darling Clementine" or "the Ox Bow Incident" are pretty good, for modern westerns, I would say Silverado or 3:10 to Yuma

Tom

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Ok another maybe not a true western, Jeremiah Johnson.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anything with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood.

I also agree with Dances with Wolves and Quigly Down Under, although maybe not classic westerns.

Thinking of top 10 Westerns. I am normally not a fan of re-makes, but True Grit with John Wayne and the newer one with Jeff Bridges were both great Westerns and the Jeff Bridges one is of the best re-makes I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts