Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little history. I have water run off issues in spring and found when I used the front end loader, I create giant piles of snow that take until May to melt. So I decided to go back to blowing the snow. This allows me to direct it towards the ditch line and spread it evenly for melting.

I had the 47" blower on my 445 but when I sold the tractor I never moved it over to the X595. Well last year I decided to make it happen. When I snapped the 445 front quick hitch on it was a loose fit. Pretty much cobbed it together to get thru the winter.

Now here comes winter again and I am attempting to work on this before it's 15 degrees out.

I picked up a used X series quick hitch. The seller asked me if I had the longer driveshaft? I assumed that I would just use the one for the 445. He said it was longer on the X series??

Has anybody been down this road before?

Just want to verify I have to switch out the blower side PTO shaft.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Refer to the attached chart for compatibility. You may have to dig a step deeper on JD Parts online with the kits listed (BM prefix part numbers). For example, the chart lists the same snowblower for both, but I'm pretty sure the up-stop, implement driveshaft w/coupler, and hydraulic hoses were all different. I actually had an X-series 46 snow thrower on the used 455 I purchased from a dealer. I never new they were different until I acquired the second 455. So I quit raising the snowblower when it started to vibrate from the U-joint angle becoming excessive (wrong up-stop). I also had to connect the U-joint coupler before I had the snow thrower fully mounted in the Quick Hitch, as the X-series implement driveshaft is a tad longer (not so much that I had issues with it bottoming out). The hydraulic hoses connect on the other side of an X-series and with 45 degree adapters---that the 4X5 does not. I also think the hoses are longer, but they offer an extension kit, if I recall correctly.

I probably still have the 45 degree adapters, if you need them.

I was going to keep my 46 Snow Throwers when I moved up to 1025Rs. However, by the time I priced out everything it was going to take to mount them on a 1025R and the resale value of the 46 Snow Thrower, it was more cost effective, by quite a bit, to just purchase new 47 Snowblowers with the 1025Rs. There was two implement add-on promo running that I'm sure factored into that.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Running around like a mad dog today. Just got the lawn cut.

Thanks for the chart.

I will put the X series quick hitch on tomorrow and snatch up the blower. Then I can see what that up-stop looks like. Also can check the original drive shaft for length. I need to move it into the garage anyway, I want to mod that chute for a little more travel. Maybe some spray bomb on the old beast. She is pretty long in the tooth. (1994) Not to mention the original owner ground the bottom off of it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I put the X series quick hitch on with the old blower, up-stop and drive shaft.

The up-stop is wrong and needs modification or the correct one.

The 425/445/455 blower drive shaft is too short. With the blower level it is at the limit. If you drop the blower down a bit, something is likely going to break.

The picture is a comparison of the two. I'd say the X series is about 2 and a half inches longer.

Side note: When I drove the roll pin out to change the driveshaft, A large piece broke out of it. Appeared to be hardened or something?
Since the shaft uses a halfmoon key, can I just use a roll pin out of my assortment kit or should I get that from the dealership? The roll pins in the kit are not as hard as the original. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
Today I put the X series quick hitch on with the old blower, up-stop and drive shaft.

The up-stop is wrong and needs modification or the correct one.

The 425/445/455 blower drive shaft is too short. With the blower level it is at the limit. If you drop the blower down a bit, something is likely going to break.

The picture is a comparison of the two. I'd say the X series is about 2 and a half inches longer.

Side note: When I drove the roll pin out to change the driveshaft, A large piece broke out of it. Appeared to be hardened or something?
Since the shaft uses a halfmoon key, can I just use a roll pin out of my assortment kit or should I get that from the dealership? The roll pins in the kit are not as hard as the original. :dunno:
You should be OK with a standard replacement roll pin. The original roll pin was likely cracked. The pin just locates everything and the key handles the load.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured the softer roll pin would work since the key is taking up the load.

Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good morning,

On my 47 and 59 snow blowers, I replaced the roll pin and key with a 5/16" Grade 5 bolt particularly on the gearbox output shaft. After replacing the u-joints twice on the 47 and once on the 59, (didn't say that I was a quick study), what I was discovering was that the roll pin would crack and fall out, leaving the key to carry the load. And when you get a rock rolling around in the impellor, bad things happen at $275 per.

It can be a pain to replace a broken bolt/shear pin, but not as much as pulling the auger and impeller assembly.

Dave

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From JD the roll pin has a wire thru it so if it becomes loose it will not fall out.

I appereciate the feedback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts