Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been parking my Dodge 3500 Diesel truck in my shop this winter. It's a tight fit but it's worked for me so far . . . however, it would be nice if, after getting the rear bumper where I want it I could slide the front end 2' further West. The added sq. feet would be most appreciated. I'm guessing the front-end weighs in the 2500 - 3000 lb range.

Any ideas on how to do that without a lot of :gizmo:?

Moving Dodge-1.JPG

Moving Dodge-2.JPG

Moving Dodge-3.JPG

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If the floor is vinyl, put down a piece of steel.

Simply lift the front with a roll around jack,, then, grab the handle and pull,
the truck will go wherever you want it to go.
In 1966iish,, I worked in a garage and we did this all the time,,
back then, a 1964 Dodge car weighed almost as much as that truck,,,
so, the weight is similar,,,

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
A good floor jack is the easiest. I have a set of wheel dollies made by Larkin I use on my corvette for winter. The biggest problem with them is I have to jack up every corner and put them under the tires. Then I can put the vette wherever I want but then I have to jack each corner to get it back on the ground.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Harbor Freight. I have two they work good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Tire dollies are the trick. We stored a truck the same way you are trying to with the wheel dollies. But when we put the front tires up on the dollies we pushed and pushed but couldn't get the front end over to the right. Wouldn't budge. Then realized the driver side rear tire would need to move also. Truck was in park, so other guy jumped in the truck, put it in nuetral, and I was able to push it by myself. Just be careful especially if you garage has a significant slope for draining. May take off on you . I'd recommend two people, one for pushing, one in driver seat working the brake.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the ideas . . . I'm concerned about the trucks weight. It's a 1 ton Dodge 3500 Diesel w/6spd . . . According to NADA Guides the Curb Weight is 7,396 lbs . . . I just checked the trucks' drivers side inside door sticker and I'm just not sure how to read it other than the GVW noted is 10,100lbs. The sales invoice states the curb weight as 7,023lbs.

IMG_5900.JPG

IMG_5901.JPG

These are rated for 5,000lbs per pair which I believe should work fine.

148838_700x700.jpg

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200430521_200430521

I'm planning to buy these if I can find some discount coupon, I gotta look around. I hope to be able to put them on the front, put it in neutral and push the front-end to the West. My floor is smooth concrete, I'll just have to make sure I sweep good before I move the truck.

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Your GVW rating is how much the truck can weigh fully loaded. Your curb weight of just under 7500lbs is a realistic empty weight with full tank of fuel. Just remember, most of that weight is on the front axle. It’s supporting that mighty Cummins under the hood. :good2:

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200430521_200430521

I'm planning to buy these if I can find some discount coupon, I gotta look around. I hope to be able to put them on the front, put it in neutral and push the front-end to the West. My floor is smooth concrete, I'll just have to make sure I sweep good before I move the truck.
The weight rating would be plenty, but....I just don't like those plastic wheels. Maybe all these type of dollies have them.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The weight rating would be plenty, but....I just don't like those plastic wheels. Maybe all these type of dollies have them.
coaltrain ~ Yep, I agree. I did find some dollies with steel wheels but weight rating per pair was lower, 3,000 lbs per pair. I suppose if the plastic wheel became a problem I'd be able to find steel wheel replacements.

Your GVW rating is how much the truck can weigh fully loaded. Your curb weight of just under 7500lbs is a realistic empty weight with full tank of fuel. Just remember, most of that weight is on the front axle. It’s supporting that mighty Cummins under the hood. :good2:
dieselshadow ~ Exactly, 3,000 lbs per pair on the front-end with the Cummins diesel gives me concern. 5,000 per pair provides a little cushion.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you already have a floor jack give that a try first. Jack up the nose from the middle so it's balanced and then push/pull using the jack as the wheels. Two people will be easiest. It's fast and free if you already have a jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Even if you buy the 4 wheel dollies, during the move, keep the hydraulic floor jack partially lifting the truck

That will distribute the weight among even more wheels.

If you have two floor jacks, use both,, the more wheels the easier it will roll.
16 wheels would be much easier to roll on as compared to 8 wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you already have a floor jack give that a try first. Jack up the nose from the middle so it's balanced and then push/pull using the jack as the wheels. Two people will be easiest. It's fast and free if you already have a jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if you buy the 4 wheel dollies, during the move, keep the hydraulic floor jack partially lifting the truck

That will distribute the weight among even more wheels.

If you have two floor jacks, use both,, the more wheels the easier it will roll.
16 wheels would be much easier to roll on as compared to 8 wheels.
Thanks guys, excellent ideas I'm going to try . . . first my floor jack alone if it lifts the entire front-end. It's rated at 1.5 tons so I'm not sure it will work but it's worth a try. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Perhaps you can try putting the dollies/jack under the light end, i.e., the rear and rotate around the front axle? I have a DMax, and i can assure you that moving the rear of the trucck with a jack is much easier.
Dave

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
Thanks guys, excellent ideas I'm going to try . . . first my floor jack alone if it lifts the entire front-end. It's rated at 1.5 tons so I'm not sure it will work but it's worth a try. :thumbup1gif:
Just a thought while I was outside tinkering - I would see it being hard for me to move the truck even with those dollies underneath - or even moreso with just a floor jack. Would be nice if you could figure out a way to move the truck with your tractor somehow.

I just know that even with both of us we wouldn’t be able to push that truck by hand.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a thought while I was outside tinkering - I would see it being hard for me to move the truck even with those dollies underneath - or even more so with just a floor jack. Would be nice if you could figure out a way to move the truck with your tractor somehow.

I just know that even with both of us we wouldn’t be able to push that truck by hand.

coaltrain ~ I suspect you've got something there . . . but it's worth a try I guess. I'm think I'll try my floor jack first, maybe today since I have to rearrange the shop in order to store the scaffolding once again . . . lots of tractor work today.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Pull it in nose first and move the rear end.

:bigbeer:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Be careful moving the truck on either end with just the floor jack. A floor jack being moved while under load can be tippy. And I agree moving the rear of the truck would be better although its probably easier to get it close to where you need doing a parralell parking maneuver. Good luck and be safe:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Haven't tackled this yet. Waiting to sell another rifles on GunBroker.com.

What I'm planning to do based on all your inputs is to first pickup a pair of these from Northern Tool. The pair is rated for 5000 lbs:

Dollies.jpg

And back the Dodge in like this:

Moving Dodge-2.JPG

Then put these dollies under the front tires and, with the truck in neutral, push it slowly to the right.

I'll need to stay a little more away from the wall in the back. I believe the truck will pivot on the left rear as the right rear rolls a little and the front moves to the right.

If that works reasonably well I can use the :greentractorride: and loader or forks to push on a tire and move the Dodge in place, but I have to know how all this is going to work before I automate a little. :laugh:

Awaiting feedback . . .

Oh, btw, a floor jack won't work on the front. The differental is not in the center so lifting it evenly is difficult.

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
As was mentioned before - I would try pulling in forward and move the rear sideways. The rear will be a lot lighter and easier to push.

Might be worth experimenting with. Just make sure you chock the left front tire......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts