Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

We moved into a new house last year and bought the x590. After a year or so, I realized that I wanted the 4x4 x7 series. I have some fairly steep slopes in my yard and even with the locking differential and HDAP tires on the x590, I still slide some while going across the slopes during mowing. I also want to plow my driveway and I figure the 4x4 will help with that.

The x590 has been a great machine, no doubt about that, but it was never the machine that I wanted it to be. I'm not criticizing the x590 at all, but I guess I just always wanted more and envied the x7 series.

I think the x758 will fit my needs (and wants) better. I figure that the tractor should last the next 25-30 years with proper maintenance. I don't really have a use for a front end loader and I don't want to move into the 1 series right now. Mowing and snow removal are my main priorities.

I have the x758 on order with the 54" quick hitch plow and it should be here next week. The dealer offered me a fair trade on the x590. I'm hoping I made the right decision and investment.

Has anyone else moved from the x5 series to the x7 series? What were your impressions?

Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello everybody,

We moved into a new house last year and bought the x590. After a year or so, I realized that I wanted the 4x4 x7 series. I have some fairly steep slopes in my yard and even with the locking differential and HDAP tires on the x590, I still slide some while going across the slopes during mowing. I also want to plow my driveway and I figure the 4x4 will help with that.

The x590 has been a great machine, no doubt about that, but it was never the machine that I wanted it to be. I'm not criticizing the x590 at all, but I guess I just always wanted more and envied the x7 series.

I think the x758 will fit my needs (and wants) better. I figure that the tractor should last the next 25-30 years with proper maintenance. I don't really have a use for a front end loader and I don't want to move into the 1 series right now. Mowing and snow removal are my main priorities.

I have the x758 on order with the 54" quick hitch plow and it should be here next week. The dealer offered me a fair trade on the x590. I'm hoping I made the right decision and investment.

Has anyone else moved from the x5 series to the x7 series? What were your impressions?

Thanks, everyone.
I added a 1025R to the X590. When I decide to get another tractor, I would definitely get another 1 series or even a 2. Spend the extra coin now, and you won’t regret it later. The 7 series was never considered again after I tested the 1 series.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
I agree test drive a 1 series. You can get it with out a FEL if you want. I just traded for one with out a FEL. Spend the money and be done.. you are right they will last more than 20 years with good maintanence.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Hello everybody,

Thanks, everyone.
First off, we all do things for our own reasons. While it's helpful to obtain the input of others, it's obviously you who has to be happy and satisfied with the decisions you make.

The x758 is an excellent machine. It's as good a mowing lawn tractor as you can buy. You won't regret having the Yanmar diesel. You will be surprised by the power and capabilities of your new machine.

I would very strongly encourage you to, at a minimum, obtain the John Deere 54" Plow widener kit which will add 18" to the snow plow width and give you the ability to clear 6 foot in a pass, instead of 4'6". The tractor can easily handle the extra plow width and frankly, you are wasting time plowing by NOT having the additional plow width. Trust me, you will be glad you did this.......

Here is a link to the plow widening options. Just note, the link I posted is for an aftermarket product, which is exceptional. Deere also has a kit, which is shown and talked about in the other threads on the widening of the 54" plow. Take the time to read about these options. You will be very glad you did.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/artillian-tractor/11606-extension-wings-deere-54-plow.html

Make sure you have a rear weight bar and a minimum of 4 of the 47# suitcase weights. You will need the extra weight on the rear of the tractor to make it plow efficiently and correctly.

With the turf tires, you have the best snow clearing tires made for a small tractor. You still may want to consider either a set of tire chains or Terra Grip traction strips for the rear tires, despite the 4x4 on the tractor.

I can't tell where you are located, other than the USA but it must snow where you are or you wouldn't be purchasing the plow. Whether you get wet heavy snow or a mixture, the tractor can and will handle it. I have owned a predecessor to the x750, which is the 455, since 1996 when I bought it new. It has been an incredible machine and one which I decided to keep, despite buying the 1 series and a host of implements.

Another benefit of the x758 is that everything is truly SHAFT DRIVEN, from the mid mount mower to the front snow thrower or the front mounted broom. I would very strongly encourage you to consider adding the rear PTO and the Rear 3 point hitch to the x758. It will add diversity for your lawn care with such great options as rear mounted sprayers, PTO driven fertilizer spreaders and a wide range of other 3 point attachments which only enhance your x758's capabilities and functional use.

One thing you will find is that with the x758 and the 3 point hitch and the rear PTO, you now are spending as much, and perhaps even more, than you would to purchase the 1 series, either 1023e or 1025R. Personally, we are always finding new ways to use these machines to help take care of our properties and the front end loader is an extremely handy feature. I use the pallet forks for all kinds of lifting and transport projects other than for pallets. But if your mind is set on the x758, there is certainly nothing wrong with the machine. In fact, as I said earlier, it is the premier 4x4 lawn and garden tractor made in my opinion and pretty much anyone who has owned and driven and knows these machines.

I would not try to talk you out of the x758, as you have definitive reasons why you selected it and want it. It's just from a cost perspective, the 1 series is at the same price point as the x758 with the 3 point hitch and rear PTO. Also, I would suggest if you are set on the x758, then seriously consider the rear 3 point hitch and the rear PTO, as it makes an extremely versatile machine even better.

Sometimes, it's not all about dollars and cents. You will find the mower on the x758 provides an excellent cut result. With the grades in your lawn you mentioned, mowing them with the x758 would be safer than mowing them with the 1023e or 1025R because of the x758's lower center of gravity and stature.

I think leaving the x590 is an easy decision. Nothing wrong with the x590 as it's a great machine. But the x758 is much more of a machine and you are going to be impressed. The x758 will probably burn about 3 quarts of fuel per hour while mowing. These are very durable and efficient machines.

As far as your comment about last 25 to 30 years, that is certainly possible. My 23 year old 455 has about 2,650 hours of use on it and it is still a fine running and fully functioning machine. It takes staying up with the maintenance and treating it with respect and there is every reality that you will still have the x758 two or even three decades from now. In my case, I already have had it's predecessor for nearly 24 years.

I will tell you that there will be far fewer x758 machines around 10, 20 and 30 years from now when compared to the 1025R or 1023e as the 1 series outsells the x75x series very handily. That is not a knock on the x75x, it's just the reality because of the pricing of these machines.

I seriously doubt you will ever regret owning the x758. However, one reality you may find, which many of us have over time, is depending upon the size of your property which you are mowing, the ultimate mowing machines are the zero turn mowers. They are single purpose machines, but they are excellent at the one thing they were designed to do. For years, I was very satisfied with the mowing of my 455 with the 60" MMM. But when I tried a 60" ExMark Lazer Zero Turn mower, it's truly the pinnacle for cutting grass. Very good cut, very efficient machines but all they do is mow.........

Many os us own the comparable to an x7xx series tractor and a zero turn mower. But for now, focus on your new x758. You will be very pleased and I am sure the x758 will surpass your expectations. Just don't be surprised if in a year or two we are having a discussion about you adding a Zero Turn mower to your "fleet". There are many of us here on GTT who swore up and down that we were perfectly happy with mowing with our lawn tractors. Then, well, let's just say....Never say never.......:laugh::good2:

Make sure to post photos once you get it home.......We will want to see it.

Congratulations and welcome to GTT....We are glad you are here.

Correction -----I noticed you have just 6 posts and I glanced at the join date and saw April, now I just noticed that it's April 2017, so you have been around for a year, just carefully selecting your posts. Well, still Welcome to being an active poster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Sulley. I really appreciate the feedback. I was definitely planning on getting the 18" extension to the plow based on some forum posts and YouTube videos I've watched. But, I've also read that the x758 shouldn't need extra weight for plowing since it's 4x4, although you're recommending them. I guess I'll have to see how it does in the snow.

I truly cannot see myself buying a zero turn in the foreseeable future. It took enough to convince the wife to trade the x590!

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
I didn't buy a x7xx but SIL father traded in his x590 2 yrs ago for a x738. Except for 10-15hrs the dealer put on the machine , I've put the the remaining 130+ hrs.
I do like the way it goes from 2 WD to 4wd , the first time going up or down a hill I wondered. After that it works great no issues ,IMO it doesn't spin near as easy as the x590 even when it was in 4WD.

For you going with the diesel you should see a big difference in the amount of fuel compared to gasoline.
I've mowed with the SIL 2305 at his dads and where I've used 4-5 gals of gas , I used maybe 3 gals of diesel.

Wish you luck, enjoy :bigthumb:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Fun facts:
Mowing steep grades.
With the 60 inch HC deck, you will actually lose traction on the steer tire highest on the slope when cross cutting. The reason for this is the X758 at that point is now pivoting on the low side of the deck and simply digs into the bank. Makes it ALMOST impossible to roll over the machine. Don't panic and ride it out, you can mow like a 40 degree slope drifting like a boss as the front wheels pull you along rofl.

You CAN stall the motor even at wot trying to drag something behind you.... like idk, a 30 ft long 17 inch diameter fresh cut tree trunk. There is a trick to making the stubborn log come with you. WOT and only depressing the go yo go yo pedal 3/4s or less. I'm not the guy that knows why, but you have significantly more go yos in the bank at 3/4 pedal than just mashing it down. If you do just mash it once moving... she'll give up the ghost.

#BogDownForWhat
I no longer feel the need to own a wood splitter, I've hit 4inch rounds laying in the yard and turned it into mulch. It's very loud and very scary. Sends chunks flying like 30ft away. It doesn't care. Now if you happen to leave a 5/8ths transport chain in the yard, even mowing away 3 inches off the earth, the stock deere high lift blades will pick it up. This will send links into orbit and wrap up in your blades bringing you from WOT to no throttle.

I'm not picking on all you people.
In my PERSONAL OPINION, I don't care for the 1 series. Now a 2032/38 bracket or mower + tractor sure. Yes I understand, we can't all own two machines (I don't) so we have to compromise. Me personally, I'm saving my nickels up for a 70's diesel 4020. More tractor than I'll ever need and it'll look beautiful on top of the hill in my front lawn.

Ya'll 1 series people though, keep doing your awesome stuff, I honestly do enjoy watching it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
I see no problem getting 25-30 years of service. My JD 285 was 28yo when it was stolen last year:nunu:. I'll bet it's still running for someone.:unknown:

It was used hard, loaned to brother and SIL (not the most careful operators), but always maintained, fixed as needed. It had wear and tear and did not look brand new, but operated as new. Seat never was replaced (needed replaced, but still functional, I've seen much worse) Hood and fenders had scratches, and rear fender assembly had crack (operator error, backed into a tree :flag_of_truce:)

Repairs ranged from hood latch (plastic broke easily) to plastic cam gear (lost 7 teeth at 1100 hours). My guess was the plastic cam gear became brittle over time and they will all break given enough time.

For mow & snow, I'd take an x7xx series over a 1 or 2 series. If I wanted to do more, then I would consider a dedicated mow tractor/zero turn AND a SCUT or MCUT :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Add the rear PTO and 3pt from the factory so you get the 0% financing. I'm doing it after the fact on my x758 PLUS purchasing attachments. Gets more expensive that way.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you don't need a FEL or 3 point hitch you are better off with a x700 series. If you added a 3 point and aftermarket bucket to the x700 series. You would be around the same price as the 1 series. The x700 series is better for mowing than the 1 series anyway. I have a x738 with a 60HC deck and a plow with extensions. I wanted one machine to mow and to plow snow. I would of gotten a zero turn if I didn't have to plow snow.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks, Sulley. I really appreciate the feedback. I was definitely planning on getting the 18" extension to the plow based on some forum posts and YouTube videos I've watched. But, I've also read that the x758 shouldn't need extra weight for plowing since it's 4x4, although you're recommending them. I guess I'll have to see how it does in the snow.
I had the extensions on my (used to own) x739. I did have weights on the back side, but honestly not sure I needed them. That thing was a tank. I feel like I could have put two sets of wing extensions on it and done just fine. I could plow uphill with it as well which was needed on a few occasions when trying to find new places to push the snow. They are excellent machines.

However, they are priced very close to a 1 Series for the additional bucks, you get a diesel engine, heavier machine, three point hitch, rear PTO, work lights, high and low range, tool box, and more. If you have any thoughts that you'd ever want to add a loader or do utility work with a three point hitch, then run some math. Over the course of 25-30 years, you're talking about the price of a cup of coffee a month for the difference.

Worth noting is that you CANNOT purchase a new OEM loader for the X7 Series. However, you will find that you'll pay almost the same price for a used Model 45 loader as you would for a used H120/120r loader even though it's not nearly as capable. Otherwise, you'll be able to readily buy a new loader from your local JD dealer.

Additionally, those X7 gassers guzzle down fuel. No joke that you could get about 3 times the fuel economy in a diesel engine like the 1025r. It's almost annoying how often you have to refill the X7 Series. Run that through a cost calculator and I bet you come out ahead with the 1025r over 25-30 years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the extensions on my (used to own) x739. I did have weights on the back side, but honestly not sure I needed them. That thing was a tank. I feel like I could have put two sets of wing extensions on it and done just fine. I could plow uphill with it as well which was needed on a few occasions when trying to find new places to push the snow. They are excellent machines.

However, they are priced very close to a 1 Series for the additional bucks, you get a diesel engine, heavier machine, three point hitch, rear PTO, work lights, high and low range, tool box, and more. If you have any thoughts that you'd ever want to add a loader or do utility work with a three point hitch, then run some math. Over the course of 25-30 years, you're talking about the price of a cup of coffee a month for the difference.

Worth noting is that you CANNOT purchase a new OEM loader for the X7 Series. However, you will find that you'll pay almost the same price for a used Model 45 loader as you would for a used H120/120r loader even though it's not nearly as capable. Otherwise, you'll be able to readily buy a new loader from your local JD dealer.

Additionally, those X7 gassers guzzle down fuel. No joke that you could get about 3 times the fuel economy in a diesel engine like the 1025r. It's almost annoying how often you have to refill the X7 Series. Run that through a cost calculator and I bet you come out ahead with the 1025r over 25-30 years.
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Just FYI I am getting the x758 which is a diesel model. My main priorities are mowing and snow removal and I really have no plans for a front end loader in the foreseeable future. I’ve heard the AWD/4WD system on the x7 series is much easier for mowing and negotiating slopes.

I watched your YouTube video on the x739 plowing with the extensions. Did you get rid of your x739?

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Congrats Jay26 on your X758. For your mowing and plowing uses, I think you will be very happy:good2: Be sure to post some pics when it arrives:thumbup1gif::munch:

Reactions: X748SE and Fozsey

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an X739 which I just love. Only on my third lawn cutting but the darn thing just puts a grin on my face every time I look at it. Its a monster to drive around but handles like pussycat. But darn does it suck the fuel down. No sooner than I dump another five gallons in it wants more.

I would have went with the 758 but wanted the AWS and AWD.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Will soon be mowing our 4.7 acres with my X738....will really be wishing for a diesel soon enough I can imagine! It is amazing how much gas the X738's use. I'm sure I'll be moving to a diesel some time in the next year or so. Most likely a 2032R or similar. Will definitely need a loader for snow removal and clearing trees/brush!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will soon be mowing our 4.7 acres with my X738....will really be wishing for a diesel soon enough I can imagine! It is amazing how much gas the X738's use. I'm sure I'll be moving to a diesel some time in the next year or so. Most likely a 2032R or similar. Will definitely need a loader for snow removal and clearing trees/brush!
With 4.7 acres, it sounds like you'll put that 2032R to good use! I think I'll be happy with the x758 as I won't have the need for a loader and my primary duties will be mowing and plowing snow.

How has the x738 been, aside from guzzling gas?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Enjoy your new machine. I was ready to pull the trigger on the x590 and then the day of pulled the trigger on the x758 otherwise I might have been in the same boat as you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Enjoy your new machine. I was ready to pull the trigger on the x590 and then the day of pulled the trigger on the x758 otherwise I might have been in the same boat as you.
How has your experience been with the x758? Any distinct positives or negatives?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
How has your experience been with the x758? Any distinct positives or negatives?
None so far! I purchased mine for my 1/4 acre property knowing that in the next year or two I'd be selling and moving to property with a few acres. All i purchased was the tractor with the 54" deck, triple bagger with power flow and a 17P cart. I had a few serious grading projects I was going to do prior to selling my home. While a loader would have been nice, the capacity of the 1 family is just too low for any serious work IMO. That means x758 which is a badass mowing tractor and then a 2 or 3 family tractor when the property requires it.

First real project was to resolve the pooling water out my back door that was putting my sill plate at risk and keeping my dogs muddy. I had to remove all the surface roots that were in my yard and were causing the water to not drain and just pooling up. Dogs loved it, wife and I hated it. I rented a stump grinder and used it like a rototiller to get rid of roots on the surface and down to about 8". The contractor with the 8-ton mini excavator that I was bringing in said while the roots were small there were so many that it would be challenging.

IMG_8059.jpg

Once I had the surface roots cleared out of my 20' x80' swath I decided to knock out the random roots on the surface of my lawn all over the yard. I had already hit a number with the deck or stubbed my toe. I had the machine rented for 4hrs more and went hog crazy.

IMG_8066.jpg

IMG_8064.jpg

The downside to using the stump grinder like a rototiller is it leaves a pile of fluffy soil behind. One the soil is stepped on or gets wet it compacts and becomes extremely annoying for hauling loads.

I shattered chunks off a 4' x 8' x 3' deep cement pad and hauled them to the back portion of my property, in doing so I needed to drive over numerous root holes that I ground. The x758 handled hauling it all while rocking back and forth in all the holes. Not a single issue getting stuck. It was at that time I realized this thing was a beast. My wife even told me afterwards that without that tractor we wouldn't have been able to get the job done. Success! :laugh:

IMG_8108.jpg

IMG_8124.jpg

My front dethatcher and wings just showed up at my dealer. I have a bracket ready to be bolted on so I can use my QH to hydraulic lift and lower it. I have since added a 54" plow to my setup. The plow has been awesome for pushing brush, 4-8" logs, topsoil, etc. My complaint is the 17P cart is pathetic in design and too flimsy. I created a thread about it previously. Buy yourself the 18 steel cart. I would have also added the front fenders from the get go to prevent wet grass from getting kicked up or mud. If I was to do it all over again I would have also added the rear 3pt, rear PTO, and front PTO from the factory to get it built into the financing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have since added a 54" plow to my setup. The plow has been awesome for pushing brush, 4-8" logs, topsoil, etc.
Thanks for the great write-up! I never even considered using the 54" plow for anything other than snow. It sounds like the plow will be more useful than I thought. I plan on getting a rubber squeegee for winter time so that my driveway doesn't get torn apart.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts