Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original owner of my home dumped gravel over in a piece of the yard. Why? I have no clue. It’s been there 35 years. I learned today it’s hard to get rid of gravel that’s been anywhere for 35 years. I’m going to go up in the woods and get some good topsoil and level it back off. Clean all the junk out of the soil and plant grass. That’s the plan anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Our house had a bunch of gravel on the east side when we bought it eight years ago. Seller said the grass kept washing out. Last fall we decided to replace it with dirt. Was told by seller it’s only four inches deep. They lied. At one end yes it’s four inches deep. Other end is four feet deep and drain tile runs under the whole thinG. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Maybe it wasn’t supposed to be lawn? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I have the same problem. My builder must be related to your builder.

I built a screening box a couple of years ago and removed a lot of gravel from the area. No help. This year, I'm bringing in real dirt. I plan to dig out the gravelly soil and replace it with really good stuff. I wish I had done this first.

Unfortunately, all of our underground utilities run through the gravel area. I'm going to be doing a lot of this with a shovel.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
You can bring the gravel to me and dump it,,, :good2:
with all that has been dumped on my place in the last 2 weeks, yours would not be noticed,,,:laugh:

I think, if I counted correctly, they are over 120 tons,,,
the Virginia Forestry guy was here Wednesday,,
he said they need more gravel at the bridge,, so the number will go up,,, :munch:

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
BMP around waterways

You can bring the gravel to me and dump it,,, :good2:
with all that has been dumped on my place in the last 2 weeks, yours would not be noticed,,,:laugh:

I think, if I counted correctly, they are over 120 tons,,,
the Virginia Forestry guy was here Wednesday,,
he said they need more gravel at the bridge,, so the number will go up,,, :munch:
Yeah, it's a sticking point if any stuff is coming off a haul road into a stream. A logger can do a terrible job elsewhere and it's fine but drop a shovel of dirt or a limb into a stream and it's got to be corrected right now. A lot of the DOF (Department of Forestry) guys retired when they went from helping landowners to being enforcement guys. There are still some good ones that have good common sense but some are just by the book.

Treefarmer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts