Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to put my 1025 to work today. A large maple right next to the road was taken down and they(DOT) left me the sections I could use for firewood. So I used my forks and moved the logs up near where they will be sawn and split.It was going great, relaxing, I was so happy at what a work saver the tractor was. And THENNNNN.....I lifted the forks too high to dump the logs and blew the windshield to pieces. It was open and well you all know what happened...Its my own fault, I was fully aware of what happens.....Well, hopefully I can get one before the snow flies. **** happens! I still had fun! What a strong little machine for the size.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,672 Posts
Could have been worse... even with the headache rack on the forks if lifted too high the log could have rolled into your lap after taking out the hood and windshield.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could have been worse... even with the headache rack on the forks if lifted too high the log could have rolled into your lap after taking out the hood and windshield.
The logs did not roll into the windshield. When the loader arms are raised up high the level bucket indicator rod hits the windshield if it is open. This is a known issue, I was aware of it, there is even a pinned thread on this forum about this fact. Furthermore there is a sticker on the winshield telling you not to use the loader with the window open. So I ignored ALL that information because "I will be careful" "That wont happen to me" I was not very clear on how it happened in my original post. Thanks for the concern though!:)

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,672 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,672 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,291 Posts
Lets see the busted windshield........

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,672 Posts
Reactions: Mackford13

·
Registered
1,829 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,291 Posts
Sorry
Im part of the boneheads club and cant see crap sometimes

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
My.02. forks are the wrong tool for moving logs. A grapple outworks the forks 10 to 1 any day of the week, plus it's safer.

·
Premium Member
6,291 Posts
Bah! Come on Bob. I wouldn’t say they are the wrong tool. Maybe inferior to a grapple but plenty useful for moving logs.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I had better apologize to the logs that I've moved with my forks for using the wrong tool for the job.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My.02. forks are the wrong tool for moving logs. A grapple outworks the forks 10 to 1 any day of the week, plus it's safer.
2 things, 1. my forks are more the right tool than lifting them by hand into a garden cart or dragging them with a chain because those are my other options. 2. The big logs were all my machine wanted to lift, I am pretty sure a grapple is heavier than my forks so that would not have worked. I understand ideally a grapple would be better but I was in seventh heaven using what I had.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Well I guess I really would be wrong. Usually by the time i go and switch to the forks, i would have moved them with the fel. Including that big one. If i think it will stay in the bucket with the teeth on and that one on your forks looks like it sure does, I would have grabbed it and gone.

Might have taken me a couple more trips cleaning it up but with my issues there are times its easier to keep whats on. By the time I climb off, untarp my implement, switch everything, which means climbing on and off 8 more times, just pin and unpin. Retarp, because I dont have a nice big shed still, I have whatever moved.

A grapple would work too in that situation as well. We use what we have and go with what we know. One thing without a question of a doubt... Is all 1025r are all built the same mostly and will all only do so much. Meaning the newer ones have upgrades that my 2015 doesnt. Power the same.

Either way, whatever method used.. It beats doing it by hand, or oxen or horses or jackass's or sled dogs.

Good night!
WB 🚜🇺🇲😎

·
Registered
213 Posts
I guess I’ve moved a lot of logs the wrong way. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
OK hosers. I knew I'd get a rise out of you die hard fork users, but the fact is that although forks are an acceptable tool used for moving logs, they are the wrong tool because using them to move and lift ROUND logs weighing 100's of pounds can result in injury or death. A grapple secures the load. So although there have been no injuries reported on this site, and although forks cost far less than a grapple, AND knowing not one of you forkers would use forks for logs if you owned a grapple, I'll stand my ground and hope a log never rolls back, takes of your steering wheel or crushes your chest.

There are low cost attachments available for use with forks that attach to the headache rack and will keep a log from rolling back. Also, I've used my own forks for moving a log or two, Stay safe forkers.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts