Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple mature grape vines that I need to move to get back in line with the arbor. The stem/trunk is 2-3 inches in dia.

I need to move them laterally less than a foot. How much should I dig around them to keep enough of the root ball intact? Anything special to do when replanting them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
You should keep as much as you can, the less you keep, the more you shock the plant. Depending on where you are, you might have missed the most opportune time to do it if the plant is already putting on spring growth. Dig the new hole, get the vine dug out, soak the new hole, set the vine in, fill any gaps, and water it excessively. It will most likely not be very productive the first year you move it, give it time to rebuild its root system. And be prepared that it may not survive the move, it's fairly well established at that point, you're going to be pruning a large percentage of its root system.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should keep as much as you can, the less you keep, the more you shock the plant. Depending on where you are, you might have missed the most opportune time to do it if the plant is already putting on spring growth. Dig the new hole, get the vine dug out, soak the new hole, set the vine in, fill any gaps, and water it excessively. It will most likely not be very productive the first year you move it, give it time to rebuild its root system. And be prepared that it may not survive the move, it's fairly well established at that point, you're going to be pruning a large percentage of its root system.
Thank you!

Reactions: The Satch

·
Registered
992 Posts
It may be easier on the vines to leave them where they are and move the arbor slightly, or just "train" the stem by binding it for a season until it retains its new shape. Longer term binding can girdle the stem and damage it. Transplanting should be done once the vine has gone dormant, after the fruit is picked and leaves drop. Depending on the cultivar, grapes can be rather delicate, or practically indestructible. Scuppernong and Muscadines are fairly hardy and can withstand some abuse, both in transplantation and trimming

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It may be easier on the vines to leave them where they are and move the arbor slightly, or just "train" the stem by binding it for a season until it retains its new shape. Longer term binding can girdle the stem and damage it. Transplanting should be done once the vine has gone dormant, after the fruit is picked and leaves drop. Depending on the cultivar, grapes can be rather delicate, or practically indestructible. Scuppernong and Muscadines are fairly hardy and can withstand some abuse, both in transplantation and trimming
Thanks for the reply! Still figuring out what we've got. I left them in place and have blocked up the vines with 2x studs. This corner of the arbor had originally fell and so this vine had the trunk laying on the ground. (it was all buried under blackberries) I'll wait for dormancy before doing anything else. At least now I can mow/trim around them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts