Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like title says, moving up from a 3032e to a 4044m. Was wondering what major differences I can expect. Needed the ability to stack round bales, and my 6ft bush hog was hell on my 3032e. Any big changes in the 2021 4044m models?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cannot speak for a 2021, but I do have a 2019 and it handles a very heavy 26-year-old 6 foot Woods bush hog and equally heavy 74” Canadian built snowblower easily. I do have rim guard in the rear tires...Which if I recall adds 760 pounds per tire. I think this is imperative on this tractor as it is large enough to give you a false sense of security but not actually that heavy compared to what it is capable of lifting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cannot speak for a 2021, but I do have a 2019 and it handles a very heavy 26-year-old 6 foot Woods bush hog and equally heavy 74” Canadian built snowblower easily. I do have rim guard in the rear tires...Which if I recall adds 760 pounds per tire. I think this is imperative on this tractor as it is large enough to give you a false sense of security but not actually that heavy compared to what it is capable of lifting.
Did u put the rim guard in yourself or take it to someone?

·
Registered
229 Posts
A had my local ag tire dealer do it. I had to load it up on a trailer and take it there, but it cost me 40% less than having the dealer do it. I did use actual Rim Guard ( beet juice). It’s very heavy, about 11lbs./gallon as opposed to water or washer fluid. I believe I paid about $300 for both rears. I have R4s. That was in 2019 so not sure what it would cost today. In my opinion it made the tractor safer to operate forheavy loader work. And definitely when using forks to move heavy stuff.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The "big change" is you have a bigger and more capable tractor :). Like the other guys mentioned about filling the tires, do it - especially if you are stacking round bales. Makes a huge difference in stability. With filled tires and adequate weight (see the user manual for recommended ballast weight), you'll be safe lifting a bale that high.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
The 4044 should be a night and day improvement over any 3 series, especially in loader lift capacity, not only with lifting bales as well as any other loader loader work, dirt work comes much easier with a 4 series.
Stability and traction should also be drastically improved. It’s will likely feel like you jumped more then up just one series From 3 to 4 series.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I have to agree with the other comments. The 4 series is a big step up from a 3 series in capabilities. I had a 790 which is similar in size and weight of a 3 series and although it was a great tractor, there was just some things I couldn’t do with it. Most of it was in loader limitations. The 4 series solved that. I haven’t found anything I can’t do with it yet. Although it’s a much bigger sized tractor, it’s still almost as maneuverable as the 790 was.

As for ballast, the dealer filled all 4 of my R4’s with Rimgard and when picking and transporting something heavy, it still felt a little tippy. After reading the loader manual for ballast recommendations, I added a ballast box and filled it with concrete. It’s much more stable now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a 4044M and love it. IMO, night and day difference from the 3 series tractors. I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have to agree with the other comments. The 4 series is a big step up from a 3 series in capabilities. I had a 790 which is similar in size and weight of a 3 series and although it was a great tractor, there was just some things I couldn’t do with it. Most of it was in loader limitations. The 4 series solved that. I haven’t found anything I can’t do with it yet. Although it’s a much bigger sized tractor, it’s still almost as maneuverable as the 790 was........
The wheel cut on my 4720 (turn radius) is really quite amazing, I can manuver it in a grove of trees without too much difficulty. Just have to keep an eye on the cab. A 5 series would be nice for more lift, larger bucket, etc but it's just too large. My 4 series is absolutely the perfect size for our place.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
The wheel cut on my 4720 (turn radius) is really quite amazing, I can manuver it in a grove of trees without too much difficulty. Just have to keep an eye on the cab. A 5 series would be nice for more lift, larger bucket, etc but it's just too large. My 4 series is absolutely the perfect size for our place.
I was really surprised at the turning radius of the 4. I had the same situation in our oak grove (until the recent ice storm) of getting around within the trees. I can put it anywhere I could get the 790 into. I don’t have a cab, so I’m the one exposed. I went to the dealer with the intention of purchasing a 5E open station, but I hated the operator station. It felt like sitting in a hole with my knees higher than the seat and just didn’t feel that comfortable at all. My neighbor has a 5M with a cab and it’s very comfortable. My salesman had me try the 4R and I was sold. Everything about the operator station was comfortable and controls placed exactly where you would expect them to be.

I feel the same way about it being the perfect size for our place and the jobs required of it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I came to a 4 series from a 5 series. The five was just too big and especially too heavy to use around the house and barn. The loader on it was amazing however. But size/weight made it impractical....4 series is much more suitable for my needs.... And less destructive on your lawn. My uses are mostly field mowing and trimming, some loader and especially pallet fork work, and snow blowing. I do find with pallet forks there’s a lot more you can do than I ever realized. Plenty of information about that on this website.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hate to dog on the 3 series cause it was a great tractor, I just need a little more tractor than the 3032e could provide. I looked at the 52 and the 66 and the price difference vs what I do, didn’t add up.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I looked at the 52 and the 66 and the price difference vs what I do, didn’t add up.
Same here. Although, I was going to get the 4052, but they didn’t have any readily available. The price difference over the 4044 was only $2500 at the time and to step up to the 4066 was almost $6000. I did not need or want a cab, so those were open station differences. I did opt to put that $2500 towards the R over the M. The removable loader was a must for me. It was especially useful this week when I had to changeout my radiator after poking a stick through it and the grill. It would have been a much more difficult job with the loader frame in the way.

I really dislike where they put the loader joystick on the loader mast of the 3E and 4M. It feels strange to have to reach for it. That may not bother you since you have a 3E now. The R has it in the natural position right next to your thigh where your hand rests while sitting anyway.

Then there’s the Hitch Assist which is great in my opinion. You can creep the tractor forward or reverse and raise/lower the 3pt while standing at the rear fender. It’s great for hooking up implements. There’s also the auto style cruise control with accel/decel. It’s great for field work or mowing. There’s Load Match and a few other things too. The R options are worth a look anyway.

My 4044 has done everything I’ve asked of it. I’ve recently worked up a field with a chisel plow, an 8 ft pull cultivator as well as the 6‘ Frontier 3pt cultivator and a 10’ tandem disc. Horsepower was never a problem, but traction of the R4’s could have been better. If field work was my main use, I would have R1’s, but I do very little of it anymore.

Good luck with your purchase and don’t forget, we like to see pictures here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same here. Although, I was going to get the 4052, but they didn’t have any readily available. The price difference over the 4044 was only $2500 at the time and to step up to the 4066 was almost $6000. I did not need or want a cab, so those were open station differences. I did opt to put that $2500 towards the R over the M. The removable loader was a must for me. It was especially useful this week when I had to changeout my radiator after poking a stick through it and the grill. It would have been a much more difficult job with the loader frame in the way.

I really dislike where they put the loader joystick on the loader mast of the 3E and 4M. It feels strange to have to reach for it. That may not bother you since you have a 3E now. The R has it in the natural position right next to your thigh where your hand rests while sitting anyway.

Then there’s the Hitch Assist which is great in my opinion. You can creep the tractor forward or reverse and raise/lower the 3pt while standing at the rear fender. It’s great for hooking up implements. There’s also the auto style cruise control with accel/decel. It’s great for field work or mowing. There’s Load Match and a few other things too. The R options are worth a look anyway.

My 4044 has done everything I’ve asked of it. I’ve recently worked up a field with a chisel plow, an 8 ft pull cultivator as well as the 6‘ Frontier 3pt cultivator and a 10’ tandem disc. Horsepower was never a problem, but traction of the R4’s could have been better. If field work was my main use, I would have R1’s, but I do very little of it anymore.

Good luck with your purchase and don’t forget, we like to see pictures here.
You the R definitely has some nice features too it, the spread in price from the M is a bit greater than I would have liked so I just went with the M. I did how ever splurge the 800 to get the R suspension seat. The bucket control I actually kinda like. I like to easily get on and off both sides and tried on a R and found it wasn’t overly difficult but had to remember to move around the controller. (Which I will forget when I’m doing things in a hurry lol). Pretty excited about the upgrade and sounds like it will definitely handle what I need it too. Pics coming soon as it arrives.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You gain about 900lbs in usable lift capacity on the loader, so it should do well with the round bales, (with proper ballast.) 6’ bush hog should be a breeze for it.

Rick

1 - 19 of 19 Posts