Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Community Prays for 6-Year-Old Injured in Lawn Mower Accident | News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer

SHADYSIDE — More than 300 residents of Shadyside knelt in prayer Sunday as they gathered at Jefferson Avenue Elementary School to pray for 6-year-old Noah Brown, who was severely injured in a lawn mower accident on Saturday.

The first-grade student was struck in the head by an object that flew out from under a lawn mower. He was flown to Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh where he is undergoing treatment. Noah is the son of Rob and Janell Slack Brown. Janell Brown said she and others are praying for a miracle. She also asked for prayers for the man who was cutting the grass.

UPDATE:
Shadyside boy dies after tragic accident | WTOV

SHADYSIDE, Ohio — One day after a community gathered for a prayer vigil, a local boy has died.

Noah Brown was injured in a tragic, freak accident on Saturday and taken to a Pittsburgh hospital. On Sunday, more than 300 people participated in a prayer vigil at Jefferson Avenue Elementary School to show support for the first-grade student.

On Monday, however, Brown passed away.

So sad. Thought I'd pass this along. I used to drive past this community every day on my way to work.

Hoping this will make everyone aware of the dangers when mowing.

·
Registered
572 Posts
What a tragedy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've had to yell at my kid for even approaching me when I'm mowing. I've been hit in the face by rocks that shoot out of the deck and ricochet off the driveway or other rocks. I wear safety glasses, ear plugs, hat, and dust mask when I mow. It seems like overkill, but out of the half dozen carpenters I know who don't wear safety glasses, one of those has had multiple cornea transplants from a staple through his eye. Most of them have had metal in their eyes from nailing or nail guns. I don't like the odds.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When my son was little we had to take him to Children's hospital in Columbus.

In the operating waiting room was a young boy that had run in front of his dad's riding mower. His dad couldn't stop and ran over him with the mower running. He was going to require a lot of skin grafts and was bandaged from head to toe.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,116 Posts
That's terrible.

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Hate to hear about these tragic accidents. It makes me sick just reading about them.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I've had to yell at my kid for even approaching me when I'm mowing. I've been hit in the face by rocks that shoot out of the deck and ricochet off the driveway or other rocks. I wear safety glasses, ear plugs, hat, and dust mask when I mow. It seems like overkill, but out of the half dozen carpenters I know who don't wear safety glasses, one of those has had multiple cornea transplants from a staple through his eye. Most of them have had metal in their eyes from nailing or nail guns. I don't like the odds.
I thought I was the only one this anal. Especially the part about the dust mask. Always get the kind with the little exhaust valve in the front.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
This is one thing that makes me glad I'm not working my old property management job at my trailer hood. It's like the "parents" (and I use that term very loosely) send the kids outside to play as soon as they seen my tractor coming. I had them jump right in front of the tractor or try to sneek up behind me on more than one occasion. Not to mention the chance of getting hit by a flying object. Them kids let trash & toys all over the vacant lots. A flying Matchbox car to the temple would put one down for sure. At the very least I got to pull the blades again.

·
Registered
21,529 Posts
This is one thing that makes me glad I'm not working my old property management job at my trailer hood. It's like the "parents" (and I use that term very loosely) send the kids outside to play as soon as they seen my tractor coming. I had them jump right in front of the tractor or try to sneek up behind me on more than one occasion. Not to mention the chance of getting hit by a flying object. Them kids let trash & toys all over the vacant lots. A flying Matchbox car to the temple would put one down for sure. At the very least I got to pull the blades again.
This was a huge issue when I was mowing commercially. I ended up just giving up my accounts in town mostly because of this.

It is just amazing - like you say - that people (parents) are that unaware of the danger. So many times I would get unloaded at a property and have to go ask the mother to get her kid inside while I was mowing. Usually got a dirty look. Then of course the yard full of toys and who knows what hidden stuff.....

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Terrible accident. I knew (I will get to why I knew him) a guy that had his three year old on his lap while mowing his lawn and the child fell off the tractor and his arm went under the mower deck and the little boy lost his arm, very tragic and when his dad was telling us about it we all felt sick. Now as to why I knew him, a month after the accident the father ran into a tree not 1/8 of a mile from his home and died in the accident.. All because he was late to get to the lumber yard to work.. How tragic that all was.. His son now works as a carpenter with a prosthetic arm.. He does quite well with it and if he isn't the spitting image of his dad, he comes in for permits from me.. I suppose there are a lot of tragic events involving lawn mowers/tractors but when they are so close to home it drives the safety issue straight to ones own thoughts.. Also brings back old bad memories.. Memories that unfortunately teach us about safety and what not to do.... Jeff

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
This was a huge issue when I was mowing commercially. I ended up just giving up my accounts in town mostly because of this.

It is just amazing - like you say - that people (parents) are that unaware of the danger. So many times I would get unloaded at a property and have to go ask the mother to get her kid inside while I was mowing. Usually got a dirty look. Then of course the yard full of toys and who knows what hidden stuff.....
I don't think that it is so much that the birth givers are unaware of the danger but it's that they just don't care. Well until something bad happens to one or more of the little angles. Then it's time to find a lawyer and get PAID! I guess it's like the trailer hood lottery. They don't even have to pay a $1 for the chance at $1,000,000.

I call them free range children. A heard of cattle living in the back 40 probably gets more attention & care.

2 other good ones come to mind.
Just recently a bunch of goofs ruptured a sewer line trying to fix a water leak. As they were working on the hole sewage was running all over. The kids were playing in it!

Another time one trailer sprung a major water leak. We are taking about a 3/8" pipe just running full throttle for over a week. So much water was puddling up a neighbor called me about it. Had to access the lot next door to check it out. This lot has 3 kids & no property maintenance. The only thing keeping the grass down was the children playing in the yard. To make a long story short this is what I found. At the bottom of this mess I found a live extension cord! Right under the "play" area. When I scolded her, mom didn't see a problem with it.

I need to get out of this place!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi All
Sad news.
I have had stones come out of under my mowers deck (a 12 hp ride on NOT a JD) take out my cars windows on two occasions (Many years apart). This was despite the plastic chute being in the correct place. I have seen pictures on this site and in real life of mower decks and people mowing with the plastic chute either removed, cut back or tied in the up position. This practice is very very dangerous as the chute is designed to deflect all debris towards the ground instead of lofting it like a golf ball into the air, which I have seen.
Regards John

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Hi All
Sad news.
I have had stones come out of under my mowers deck (a 12 hp ride on NOT a JD) take out my cars windows on two occasions (Many years apart). This was despite the plastic chute being in the correct place. I have seen pictures on this site and in real life of mower decks and people mowing with the plastic chute either removed, cut back or tied in the up position. This practice is very very dangerous as the chute is designed to deflect all debris towards the ground instead of lofting it like a golf ball into the air, which I have seen.
Regards John
John, oh so true, I had a neighbor back 40 years ago who used to tie up his plastic chute and I asked him why because it's there for a reason, his response; It spreads the grass clippings out better! Holy cow... I became the bad neighbor for asking! Oh well, I was only thinking about other incidents I had read about or knew of... He was a dope.. Come to find out he had lost the tip of his finger pulling away a clump of crap under the deck while it was running! He said he didn't think the blades were that close to the edge!!! That's a dope and that's why you can't get off the machine while the blades are engaged!... Glad today I live in the boonies!

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Sad story, if it happens once it's too much.

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts
Those that give rides to little ones while they mow are just teaching them lawn mowers are "fun".
So when they hear or see one running they will run up to it to get "fun" ride.
I'll bet those that balance the little one on their knee as they mow do not provide hearing or eye protection for them either.
I tried once to tell someone what they were doing was not safe. I was told, I was NOT the parent, and to butt out. :nunu::nunu:

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Those that give rides to little ones while they mow are just teaching them lawn mowers are "fun".
So when they hear or see one running they will run up to it to get "fun" ride.
I'll bet those that balance the little one on their knee as they mow do not provide hearing or eye protection for them either.
I tried once to tell someone what they were doing was not safe. I was told, I was NOT the parent, and to butt out. :nunu::nunu:
You are now also the bad neighbor for trying to let them know something is not safe, you can't fix stupid Zebra... If they saw some pictures of accidents maybe they would change their mind.. Maybe not! That can't happen to me: famous last words...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi All
Many years a go I had an old friend who was the nicest guy you would ever want to meet, kind and considerate. One of his grandchildren was killed when she fell under the wheels of a tractor while riding on it with one of her parents. Yet a few years later he offered my son a a ride on a tractor while he was driving which I refused to allow.
I don't know to this day why he would put someone in the same danger as that that killed his granddaughter. Whether it was lack of understanding of the danger, or the attitude "It won't happen to me" or something else, I don't know it still baffles me.
Please Please Don't let any one ride on a tractor or ride on mower unless there is a proper seat for them and don't remove or tie up the plastic shut on your mower deck when the mower blades are engaged. Because it can happen to you or someone you love.
Regards John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts