Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
445 garden tractor, 54" mower deck, 1992-ish

The mower belt keeps flying off when engaging the switch. Which would be better, engaging the mower at full throttle,
or something less? I have been setting the throttle just under full throttle at perhaps 80-90 percent.
And the belt usually flies off.

I've replaced both idler pulleys. All the spindles seem to turn freely. Fluids is good, everything greased good.
I've just ordered a new belt. So this is my last replacement item.

If there is no improvement with a new belt, I'm going to have to check alignment of the pulleys,
or something. This I don't know how to begin.

Needless to say, this is very annoying, and tiresome.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
445 garden tractor, 54" mower deck, 1992-ish

The mower belt keeps flying off when engaging the switch. Which would be better, engaging the mower at full throttle,
or something less? I have been setting the throttle just under full throttle at perhaps 80-90 percent.
And the belt usually flies off.

I've replaced both idler pulleys. All the spindles seem to turn freely. Fluids is good, everything greased good.
I've just ordered a new belt. So this is my last replacement item.

If there is no improvement with a new belt, I'm going to have to check alignment of the pulleys,
or something. This I don't know how to begin.

Needless to say, this is very annoying, and tiresome.

Thanks in advance.
Stone7 - All items that I own that use a belt or PTO/gearbox to move blades get engaged/disengaged at idle, then throttled up to mowing RPM. Any belt has some "give" and flexes a bit while coming up to speed; induced slack over a spindle pulley may cause the belt to throw.

I'd check your idler pulley springs, too, for integrity. We have one on one of our Simplicity that works itself to failure every couple of years, probably from the shock of on/off of the PTO switch. The spring induces tension on the belt. You might also have a metal bar or pin that helps hold the belt in place to prevent it from leaving the pulley.

I hope this helps,

Brian

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so, I've replaced both idler pulleys, the 2 plastic bushings, new belt and new spring.

And presto!, the belt didn't fly off and I got some mowing done. It worked fine atleast this
first time.

I was really surprised how the new spring expanded, with the new belt. I could actually see
daylight between the spring coils. Maybe my belt was way too worn out. I mowed until I
choked the mower and stalled it out. I didn't have the heart try it again. I just stopped.

I have 2 questions if anyone feels like commiserating.

One, looking at everything on the deck, all the pulleys, except the spring tensioner, seem to be
level, or flat to each other, or on the same plane. Is this the way it is? The way it should be?
And the spring tensioner seems to have a bit of cant or tilt to it? Is this correct? The little bracket for this
pulley was bent and I straightened it out. So if anyone can clear this up for me thanks.

I'll ask my other question later.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They should all be on the same plane or within a reasonable tolerance. I would say 1/4 in.
Thanks Copter,

This kind of info, tech info, is hard to find even if it is written down anywhere.

It seems to be staying on now. I air hosed off the top and didn't see anything underneath,
and started it up and the belt stayed on.

So there you go, change the belt when it starts flying off all the time.

I mowed for about an hour until I encountered a tough briar right next to a tree in the yard.
Going back and forth to get this guy, I bent the right edge in enough to hit the blade.
This confusing racket was enough to cause a full stop landing.

My mowing life is hell, enjoy.
Although my ball peen was all it took to re-arise.

It's not about the mowing, it's about the mower.
JD, or someone, will probably steal that. We do not own our keystrokes, apparently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts