Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - I just swapped out the "mulch blades" on my 54" deck for the Gator G5's. The JD manual doesn't really say that the orientation of the mower blades matter, and maybe that's simply because it doesn't. Perhaps I'm overthinking it but I thought that at least the two outside blades should be oriented in the same direction, that is both blades should be facing 3 to 9 o'clock. I thought this might affect the overall balance of the deck as all 3 blades spin. Maybe it doesn't matter, in the end, I oriented all blades from 3 to 9 o'clock (roughly speaking). Is this what others have done?

Also, is it always kind of a pain to slide the deck out from underneath the x500s series? I think the x584 makes it a little more complicated because of how both wheels turn. Eventually something is caught on one tire and it's kind of a pain to remove. I wish JD had just made the x5-- frame a few inches longer. Anyone have any tips for easily sliding the deck out? Maybe I should just get a lift to make the wheels a non-issue or is there a safe jack point on the front of the mower for a hydraulic jack?

IMG_20190516_192947.jpg

·
Registered
433 Posts
The orientation of the blades to one another does not matter. They are all turned by the same belt and any slippage (maybe heavy load on one blade) would wreck any initial orientation. The blades are set on the deck in a triangle so there can be mowing overlap without the risk of the blades contacting each other.

As far as rolling the deck out from under a X5xx, it is a pain. On my X580, I have to crank the steering all the way to get clearance.

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
If there is not any overlap, (I do not think there is) where the blades could hit each other, put them any where. I put mine 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock, 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, then 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock, but no real reason to do so.

I use a floor jack at the front receiver hitch. I raise the front of the tractor until the mower gearbox clears the lift arm and front of deck clears the tractor's front tires.

This is for an x485 AWS 62C deck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The orientation of the blades to one another does not matter. They are all turned by the same belt and any slippage (maybe heavy load on one blade) would wreck any initial orientation. The blades are set on the deck in a triangle so there can be mowing overlap without the risk of the blades contacting each other.

As far as rolling the deck out from under a X5xx, it is a pain. On my X580, I have to crank the steering all the way to get clearance.

RW580 is correct on all counts. I use a 48" deck on my X580, and yes it WAS a pain to move the deck UNTIL I bought a good lift. Much easier and quicker, especially for old guys like me. Another nice thing about lifts and decks is that you can lift the front end of the tractor and easily clean the deck without removing it.

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
RW580 is correct on all counts. I use a 48" deck on my X580, and yes it WAS a pain to move the deck UNTIL I bought a good lift. Much easier and quicker, especially for old guys like me. Another nice thing about lifts and decks is that you can lift the front end of the tractor and easily clean the deck without removing it.
Good point. The 62C deck must weigh double the deck that was under my JD 285, plus I am NOW an old guy too.:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What mower deck is that? And what are those baffles? Is that a mulching only deck? Im soooo confused!
I have the 54" accel deep deck. Yes the mulch kit is installed as you can see with the mulch on demand. Those that are lifting on the front hitch are you just using a standard floor jack? I wasn't sure if that was just as safe as using something like mojack? What do people recommend?

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
I have the 54" accel deep deck. Yes the mulch kit is installed as you can see with the mulch on demand. Those that are lifting on the front hitch are you just using a standard floor jack? I wasn't sure if that was just as safe as using something like mojack? What do people recommend?
I use a floor jack only because it's faster. I also have a Fisher lift. I have used the Fisher lift to jack high enough to remove just the blades to sharpen, but I will not crawl under to scrape the deck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I use a 500lb MOJACK and feel very safe when under the tractor. I can use my battery powered 1/2" drill to raise and lower the jack, plus once the front wheels are strapped in there is no chance the tractor will slip off of the jack. But, as with all things tractor, best practices are advised.

This is the lift that I own and use.

MoJack | MoJack XT

:good2:

·
Premium Member
10,676 Posts
On the mulch kit, it looks like there is a permanent divider in between the center and right hand blades which looks like it would prevent the right hand blade from ever discharging. I have the full-time mulch kit on my 48" which has the permanent plastic baffles.

I use a MoJack with my X500. It is totally safe. Keep in mind that you are only lifting the front of the tractor which weighs no where near as much as the entire tractor. It makes it very comfortable to get under there and swap blades or clean out the deck. It has completed eliminated the need to ever remove the deck for cleaning.

MoJack used to sell a "Deere" version of their jack called the XD. It was rated for 500 lb. I don't see it listed on their website any longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntP3rnsqOdM

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lovin that deck dolly.
Yea, the deck dolly has been handy. I think I'll need to get a mojack to make this easier. Deck Dolly will still be useful when I store the deck or want to work on it standing up.

On the mulch kit, it looks like there is a permanent divider in between the center and right hand blades which looks like it would prevent the right hand blade from ever discharging. I have the full-time mulch kit on my 48" which has the permanent plastic baffles.

I use a MoJack with my X500. It is totally safe. Keep in mind that you are only lifting the front of the tractor which weighs no where near as much as the entire tractor. It makes it very comfortable to get under there and swap blades or clean out the deck. It has completed eliminated the need to ever remove the deck for cleaning.

MoJack used to sell a "Deere" version of their jack called the XD. It was rated for 500 lb. I don't see it listed on their website any longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntP3rnsqOdM
I think a mojack will be a part of our family soon

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had the mojack for a few weeks now. Definitely made cleaning the deck an easy process. I shouldn't be surprised at how well the lawn is cut and the mulch is working again after getting rid of all that grass build up.

For those with the mojack, I've been following the directions to put the tractor in neutral and do not engage the parking brake but is this actually necessary? Is it a problem if you just have the tractor in gear and parking brake on? I've got blocks behind the tires while doing all of this. If anyone could enlighten me on this that would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
For those with the mojack, I've been following the directions to put the tractor in neutral and do not engage the parking brake but is this actually necessary? Is it a problem if you just have the tractor in gear and parking brake on? I've got blocks behind the tires while doing all of this.
As the front end goes up, the rear tires need to move forward.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts