Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my GX345 with a 54 inch mower deck the manual lists several replacement blades.

Standard
Discharge
Hi Lift
Mulching

I do not have a mulching kit. Just a side discharge.

What is the difference between the standard, discharge and Hi Lift?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
The angle of the blades. The high lift have more pitch to them to create more suction. The suction will help stripe the grass better and give you a better cut as it sucks the grass up and the blade cuts it off. It can also chop up the clippings more. While this all sounds good there are some drawbacks. If you have sandy soil it will suck the sand up and wear the deck more. It also will take more power to run so there will be more of a load on the engine compared to standard lift.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The angle of the blades. The high lift have more pitch to them to create more suction...
My question is more about the Discharge style. Is it a Medium-Lift?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
My question is more about the Discharge style. Is it a Medium-Lift?
Not 100% sure but they seem to have non-standard terms for blades. For instance on my Ztrak they have Low, Standard, High lift then the Mulch blades. I would assume in your case you would be right, it is more of a medium lift. Something between what a high lift would have and the standard.

EDIT: This isn't for your machine specifically but this provides some description for the different blades.

https://jdagccc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1738/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDYwMzk5NjMxL3NpZC9CU1M0TE1ObQ==

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Looking at JD parts there is only standard and high lift.Mulching only if you have the mulching kit. Standard and discharge are usually the same terminology most of the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my GX345 with a 54 inch mower deck the manual lists several replacement blades.

Standard
Discharge
Hi Lift
Mulching

I do not have a mulching kit. Just a side discharge.

What is the difference between the standard, discharge and Hi Lift?

Thanks!
I use Gator blades by the Oregon company. The trailing edge of the blade is serrated and cuts up the clippings better than a conventional blade. Usually a JD dealer will have them but I have a local hardware store in my area that offers them.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think Predator2 blades are manufactured by Oregon too. I'd bet they are the same blade sold under a different name.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Just bought a new set of Gator blades for my X540 with a 54" deck. Going to put them on later this morning. Interested to see how they work. Prior to this I only ever used the standard blade that came with the tractor. Only had one problem with them. I get some blow out trying to much up ground cover in the fall.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You should always sharpen new blades too. Anymore, it seems like they cut the blade but don't sharpen it anywhere near what it should be.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I got to say that them gator blades look pretty good from the factory. However I just got a Work Sharp brand knife and tool sharpener. So I'm itching to use it. Lol
That tool has worked far better than I thought it would.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did order the standard blades. Works fine for me. Got the first two blades off with little problem. The third was not as easy. Broke two sockets and one socket wrench. Finally took the deck to my dealer. After quite a bit of work they got the last bolt free.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm late to the show here but I'm gonna put in my.02 anyway. If you have sandy or dusty soil when it gets dry during the summer months DO NOT get the hi-lift blades. If you don't have golf course conditions those blade will coat you, the mower, and everything else with sand and dust. There's my 2 cents, YMMV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts