Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed other than myself that the stock blades on my 54" deck are of softer material than ones of yester year. I have bent two blades this year, yes of course it is my fault for not remembering where some of the "stumps" are!!!
Would rather be bending blades than damaging anything else, but they doesn't don't hold up as well with an edge either.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I know with my zero turn I go through blades alot quicker. I'm not sure if its due to the metal being softer though. You have to take into consideration that most decks in the upper echelon of tractors and mowers turn much faster than those of yesteryear. For example, my JD Gt275 turns at around 11000 ft /minute. My zero turn deck turns at around 18000 fpm. I believe yours turns at the upper ft/min too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Compared to the OE and Gatorblade's I have on my 94' 425 the ones on my 1025 are soft, thin and weak. They get nicked so much easier than the blades on the older tractor. I was wondering if there was a better blade out there for my 60D?

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
Compared to the OE and Gatorblade's I have on my 94' 425 the ones on my 1025 are soft, thin and weak. They get nicked so much easier than the blades on the older tractor. I was wondering if there was a better blade out there for my 60D?

The new G6 Gator blades with the hardened edge. Yup. those are pretty tough. They can't be expected to last long while stump grinding, but they are tough.:laugh:

EDIT: corrected G3 to G6

·
Registered
423 Posts
I love Gatorblades but, when I looked at them for my 60d, they seem to measure longer than stock blades. I haven't bought them for fear they'll hit each other... Any users who can comment???

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I love Gatorblades but, when I looked at them for my 60d, they seem to measure longer than stock blades. I haven't bought them for fear they'll hit each other... Any users who can comment???
I seem to remember reading somewhere (may even have been on GTT) that the hole in the Gator blades is just a bit smaller than the one in the stock Deere blades as well. My neighbor offered me a set and he said he had to route out the hole in the blade to make it fit. No thanks.

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
I seem to remember reading somewhere (may even have been on GTT) that the hole in the Gator blades is just a bit smaller than the one in the stock Deere blades as well. My neighbor offered me a set and he said he had to route out the hole in the blade to make it fit. No thanks.
Mine bolted right up without any issue. :unknown:

·
Registered
423 Posts
On Oregon's website, hole size was the same. Length was the issue. About 1/4" longer per blade as I recall??? But, dieselshadow says they work so I'll probably get me some! Thanks

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
G3 blades are the thicker ones? I thought the G6 blades were the thicker ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
G3 blades are the thicker ones? I thought the G6 blades were the thicker ones

You're right. I stand corrected. :hi: I have the G6 blades. I'll fix my earlier post. Thanks for catching that. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have the G6's as well. A bit thicker and alot wider than the stock blades. Mine bolted right up. Maybe it's just me, but I always rotate the blades through atleast one full rotation to make sure the don't touch. I typically "time" them about a 1/4 rotation from each other and never have any issues.

I will say, these things move a heck of alot more air. Oh, and they are quieter too!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I typically "time" them about a 1/4 rotation from each other and never have any issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
FWIW, those blades will not stay "in time". Since the belt and pullies are not "cogged" there is no way to keep any sort of alignment (this also is a protection for the deck when one blade strikes a "solid" object).

I found my Gators for the 48C had a great deal of paint on them. This paint can cause a blade bolt to loosen somewhat as the paint degrades between the blade and the spindle/washer. I buzzed mine clean down to metal in the contact areas. "Powder Coat Paint" makes a decent dry lubricant when it degrades.

There are also some differences in how blades are measured. Some dealers/vendors measure the blade "edge tip to edge tip" (corner to corner) which will give a longer mesurement than directly end to end along the blade over the hole. It might pay to take both measurements when comparing non-OEM blades to originals.

Sent from my HPPC using Mash-a-Key
:laugh:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are the g6 gators the best blades you guys have found?
I just swapped to a 54c and the cut was way better with the old 62c.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also do the gators sit lower/higher than OE? My 60" on the 425 had those spacers. Wondering if the gators will change the deck height on the 60D? Never paid attention to difference on the 425.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,218 Posts
Had gator blades on my 62c with my 2210 and no problems. When my blades on my 60 wear out I'm getting gator blades for it. They make a better cut. Don't know anything about G3 or G6 I just bought gator blades for my mower deck and went with it. :morning2:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Can someone here give me a stock blade number for a 2012 1023e with 60d Autoconnect? I want to get some G6 blades but can't seem to find what I need and Oregon says they need a stock blade number. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts