Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 455 w/60" deck that my wife cuts the grass with, it's her tractor till it needs work or has an issue, then it's ours. The area under the belt/pulley covers gets filled with crud very quickly and it is not easy to clean out. The deck is very robust which makes it a pain to manhandle around or even get the two covers off. I cant figure out how so much crap gets in there and then stays in there. Has anyone got a solution to keeping this area clean without it being a protracted ordeal to clean out, I am getting to old for this battle. Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am having that same problem after cutting some 2 foot tall weeds from last year. Not sure of the fix yet, but on my smaller lawn tractor I took the covers off and left them off. This made it much easier to keep clean. I am thinking about doing the same for my 60 inch MMM.

·
Registered
26,418 Posts
A lot of our decks suffer from what I call blow out. When you are mowing a lot of thatch and debris gets pushed out in front of the mower.

That’s one reason why our front grills get clogged so quickly.

If you look under the leading edge of the deck you will likely see an attached rim of sorts around the left side edge. But there is none on the right side.

Deere makes what I think is called a blow out kit. It’s the same rim that is on the left side for the right. What it’s actually for is if you are using a Power Flow bagger.

In this pic see how on the right side of the picture (left leading edge) there is an attached piece but there is nothing like that on the opposite side. There are holes there in the deck to attach one.

Don’t know if this is your issue but the first thing that came to mind....

(I can’t believe it - I Googled for this pic and it’s actually my pic!)

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
I’ll be keep an eye out for more people removing the covers. I thought about doing just that. Seems a poor design and sometimes I just wanna flip it upside down and shake the bajeezus out of it. Takes a minute or 2 with leaf blower or hose and still chunks of wood to small rocks come out of there.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think with the cover on and clogged, there will be a heat build-up that will over heat the bearing and cause an early bearing failure. There is also the problem of belt wear caused by running through all the material clogged up there too. That could leas to a early belt replacement due to wear. I think my covers will come off. The only problem with that is you will have to watch and make sure the pully and blades have stopped rotating before you put your food down near the pulley.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I got my used 314 in '82. The 46 deck was pretty nasty looking, solid but nasty looking, and the spindles were noisy. Sandblast, paint, new spindles and good to go! Blade to blade belt looked original so I removed the covers in the fall when mowing was complete. As mentioned, PACKED with debris! I cleaned the belt area with air and left the covers in a corner leaning against a wall. I ssot the tractor, due to a divorce, in 2010 and the deck was still fine...as well as the covers STILL laying against the wall.

Blow the belt area off after EACH mowing with air, NOT water! Also be advised that if you seat switch becomes "inoperable", your pulleys & belts are spinning when you get off the tractor! Since 2010, I've purchased 2 more tractors and the FIRST thing I do is remove covers on the deck(s). Bob

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Haven't had the belt covers on my deck since the first time I saw how much stuff came out from underneath them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I took my pulley covers off the 60HC deck...when I'm finished mowing take my leaf blower and it does a great job getting all the grass/debris out. I also blow out engine compartment, radiator area, etc.

My only worry is if a little one runs up to my x750...but all my kids are 17 y/o and up...no grandkids in the picture just yet. I may have to put the covers back on in the future...

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
Hmm. Looks like mine will be coming off before my first mow of the season.

Reactions: Levi and CJadamec

·
Registered
98 Posts
Might try a wand for compressed air after each mowing. This is what I use to clear debris from the deck topside (aluminum tube stretched across the brake and clutch drums)
Motor vehicle Green Automotive tire Engineering Gas
. Does a good job for me and has other uses. There are shorter versions but I am not a fan of bending over if it’s not absolutely necessary.

This came from an IH dealer. JD probably carries them also. Buchheits and maybe TSC. Not sure about Orscheln.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
on my 91 420 I took the covers off to clean it out in 92 and ran it without them till my son took it to his house in 2017. I do keep the covers on my 72" on the 2038 just because I often step on them.

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
We have a 455 w/60" deck that my wife cuts the grass with, it's her tractor till it needs work or has an issue, then it's ours. The area under the belt/pulley covers gets filled with crud very quickly and it is not easy to clean out. The deck is very robust which makes it a pain to manhandle around or even get the two covers off. I cant figure out how so much crap gets in there and then stays in there. Has anyone got a solution to keeping this area clean without it being a protracted ordeal to clean out, I am getting to old for this battle. Thanks
By the way, since I own the same machine, I have ceremoniously named the mower deck the "Nut Buster Deck Series". Just as JD has the "Auto Connect" and they have the "Drive Over" decks, the old 4x5 series deserve the title of the "Nut Buster Deck" for those of us who have removed and installed them........

Does that deck have the steel spindle safety covers or the plastic covers? I have a 455 with 60" deck with the plastic covers and I just use a back pack blower to keep the deck area clean and I only have to pull the safety covers maybe once or twice a season and I don't need to pull the deck to pull those covers.

Is she mowing without the discharge chute, allowing the debris to blow back some?

On an unrelated question, do you have the MCS for that machine, in either the MC519 cart or the rear baggers?

That series of tractor, with the cooling fan drawing air through the bottom of the dash, tend to make the operator much dirtier and covered in dust because of the fan pulling everything right around the operator.

That's a very dangerous deck to mow without the safety covers because it requires a large reach step to avoid stepping on the deck. I would avoid removing the safety covers. My 455 has 2,700 hours on it and still has the safety covers and I am mowing with all original spindles and bearings, which I grease every time I use it.

Reactions: DBCSteve

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
Here is a kit I use on my tractors when mowing to help keep the radiator clean and clear.

Number one rule AVOID getting the accumlated debris wet whenever possible as it does become impossible to clear without removing the mower deck, remove covers and pull debris out by hand, which is a hassle.

Reactions: PlumberHome

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
I do actually use my seat switch when mowing, it takes about 1 second to set the brake, and 5 to idle down, reset the pto and throttle back up when you get back on. I figured it only takes one mistake to be to many. I do jumper it for winter use.

The rio is also bypassed.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
112 Posts
I owned my JD445 with the 60" deck since 1994 and the simple answer is--you just have to remove the deck covers periodically and blow it out with a strong air compressor or leaf blower. I sure like the "open design" of my X730 much, much better:)

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
I do actually use my seat switch when mowing, it takes about 1 second to set the brake, and 5 to idle down, reset the pto and throttle back up when you get back on. I figured it only takes one mistake to be to many. I do jumper it for winter use.

The rio is also bypassed.
Same here. No PTO is running when I step off. Ever.
As far as pulley covers, you guys talked me into it

Half inch wrench removes 2 nylock nuts under the drive over plates along with one 10mm guy on the left one only and wallah. I found a 1 1/2” rock jammed under one. Got tossed into the driveway. As with all my removals I screwed the hardware to the guards for storage for when trade in time comes

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
...when I'm finished mowing take my leaf blower and it does a great job getting all the grass/debris out. I also blow out engine compartment, radiator area, etc....
That's what I do - every time I finish vs. waiting until it's packed in there especially if it ever gets wet. I don't know when JD changed the design but the newer drive-over decks (at least the 54HC) has the 1pc composite pulley cover/ramps which are a tool-less design. Takes 2 seconds to pop off and back on. For a non vented spindle design it's amazing how much stuff collects there.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I took the belt cover off my 318's deck as soon as I got it. I also removed the outer spindle covers from the 54C deck on my X748 when I had it. The drive-over covers on the 62D2 of my 2520 don't clog up too bad. all you have to do is blow the accumulated stuff off the deck after each time you mow. I used to use a gizmo like bootheal for a while to clean the deck, but found my Stihl backpack blower does a much better job and faster.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By the way, since I own the same machine, I have ceremoniously named the mower deck the "Nut Buster Deck Series". Just as JD has the "Auto Connect" and they have the "Drive Over" decks, the old 4x5 series deserve the title of the "Nut Buster Deck" for those of us who have removed and installed them........

Does that deck have the steel spindle safety covers or the plastic covers? I have a 455 with 60" deck with the plastic covers and I just use a back pack blower to keep the deck area clean and I only have to pull the safety covers maybe once or twice a season and I don't need to pull the deck to pull those covers.

Is she mowing without the discharge chute, allowing the debris to blow back some?

On an unrelated question, do you have the MCS for that machine, in either the MC519 cart or the rear baggers?

That series of tractor, with the cooling fan drawing air through the bottom of the dash, tend to make the operator much dirtier and covered in dust because of the fan pulling everything right around the operator.

That's a very dangerous deck to mow without the safety covers because it requires a large reach step to avoid stepping on the deck. I would avoid removing the safety covers. My 455 has 2,700 hours on it and still has the safety covers and I am mowing with all original spindles and bearings, which I grease every time I use it.
Yes we have the steel covers that do not come off when the deck is hung. This setup is made for war but NOT easy periodic maintenance. It is quite a chore to take the deck off and get it out from under the tractor, easiest with the 2520 and forks to pick the front end up.
There is an awful lot moving right under your feet to leave these covers off, one absent minded moment could be life altering. I do not think it wise to leave our covers off nor ask the wife to work around that danger, I doubt she would any how.
Even with the deck out and the covers off the space has lots of nooks and crannys that hold the stuff making it difficult to clean. I was hoping one of the members had tackled this in the past and had a solution other than leave the covers off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts