Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
The whole contraption that we ride on is alot of moving parts. There’s also the drive over plates that still cover a good area of the spindles. Why someone would ask their wife to be within 50 feet of a mower deck while it’s running is beyond me. I wouldn’t. What comes out of the underside is way more dangerous than anything on top. Not saying it’s right removing guards for convenience of cleaning
But in a controlled environment
1- I never step on my deck. Not even when parked and on the ground.
2- I don’t allow anyone in the vicinity while mowing. If they do, I simply stop the mower until they’re safely out of there
As far as assessing the hazards of removing the guards I see maybe a ruptured belt that can whip up and strike me. In that unlikely scenario I’ll take my chances. I think running a chainsaw is way more dangerous than mowing the lawn.

With my deck, the covers came off after the first mowing and never went back on. That was back in 2013. I also step on my deck when getting off or on my tractor. I also use my steering wheel as a hand hold when getting on. When getting on or off my tractor using the deck I have never stepped on the belt or got close enough to get my shoes or anything else caught up in it. I don't know what the problem is here. I use an air compressor to blow my tractor and deck off during use and after use. Might wash it once a year...if lucky.

Reactions: Kbar
Discussion starter · #23 ·
The whole contraption that we ride on is alot of moving parts. There’s also the drive over plates that still cover a good area of the spindles. Why someone would ask their wife to be within 50 feet of a mower deck while it’s running is beyond me. I wouldn’t. What comes out of the underside is way more dangerous than anything on top. Not saying it’s right removing guards for convenience of cleaning
But in a controlled environment
1- I never step on my deck. Not even when parked and on the ground.
2- I don’t allow anyone in the vicinity while mowing. If they do, I simply stop the mower until they’re safely out of there
As far as assessing the hazards of removing the guards I see maybe a ruptured belt that can whip up and strike me. In that unlikely scenario I’ll take my chances. I think running a chainsaw is way more dangerous than mowing the lawn.
This deck is not drive over, does not have the plates you speak of and my wife, who is an adult and of free choice LIKES to gut the grass and is welcome to do so. There are obviously hundreds if not thousands of moving parts but they are all wisely shielded/enclosed for a reason, accidents do happen. We have a hilly yard and at times there is a tendency to want to put your foot down and out wider to maintain stability and balance. I was hoping for some constructive ideas, not criticism about our choices on personal safety or what my wife is allowed to do.

This deck is not drive over, does not have the plates you speak of and my wife, who is an adult and of free choice LIKES to gut the grass and is welcome to do so. There are obviously hundreds if not thousands of moving parts but they are all wisely shielded/enclosed for a reason, accidents do happen. We have a hilly yard and at times there is a tendency to want to put your foot down and out wider to maintain stability and balance. I was hoping for some constructive ideas, not criticism about our choices on personal safety or what my wife is allowed to do.
If cover removal isn't an option for you, which is perfectly reasonable than options are limited for keeping that area clean. There's not really any way to modify the cover as it's built to support the weight of a person and not impact the belt or pulley.

Your best bet as mentioned by others is a compressed air wand to reach into the cover and blow stuff out. Or a leaf blower. Even with the covers off my deck I still dust off the whole machine and deck after mowing with compressed air. There is still debris that settles around the blade spindles even with the covers off. I bought a used air compressor and installed out in the shed just for that reason. Well not just for that reason but that's the primary use for that compressor. That and inflating pool toys.

I hope you’ll accept my apology seeing how I misread thinking someone was working alongside the mower. I never meant who was driving it. I was just defending my decision to remove the guards. Nothing else. Again. My humble apology if I came off insulting you and yours.

Reactions: MarkEagleUSA
I find the easiest way to get the 60" mower deck off the 455 is to
1. Raise the deck up and turn the rear anti scalp wheels 90 degrees and lower them to the top post hole and repin.
2. Adjust the deck height crank knob to lowest position
3. Hydraulically lower deck till its on the pavement
4. Pull the two rear "U" bolts which secure the rear lift arms and lock in open position
5. Unhook the implement PTO shaft and lay it across the rear of the deck between rear lift arms.
6. Remove front Draft Bar assembly by using the spring loaded retention pin and then releasing from the deck mounts
7. Put a floor jack under the front axle pivot and jack until the front wheels are in the air
8. Turn the front wheels to the full stop (left) to create clearnance for deck exit
9. Using work boot, shove the deck from the left side out from under the tractor
Reverse for reinstall.

While these Nut Buster decks are a bear to remove, they sure cut nice because they aren't a reduced height to be a drive over deck. I have never compared to the new "Auto connect Decks" , but I bet the NB 60" deck is at least 1" to 1.5" or more taller in depth, which adds air flow, which improves the cutting result.

The commercial machines have safety covers which can be removed without tools. Just one more reason I LOVE mowing with my ExMark Zero turn. Outstanding cut results, I can remove the safety covers with one hand while running the blower with the other and the deck is actually DESIGNED to be stood on to get on and off the mower.
In fact, I think I will go mow with it now.........

Great information share here, as always!

I am all about safety-first, but there are some areas where I make adjustments:

100% always, every time I'm mowing:
  • Eye protection
  • Ear protection
  • Hat and sunscreen (just had skin cancer removed from my head...)
  • Seat shut-off left in tact
  • Check fluids and machine to identify any issues
  • Always power down, turn off PTO, set parking brake before I get off tractor
  • Never step on the mowing deck...mine was a PITA to get leveled...don't want to mess that up.
  • Never work on tractor with motor running, ever.
  • Ever mindful where mower discharge pointed / turn off mower when people or the canine's are out

Modification:
  • Mower deck spindle covers have been removed
  • Installed RIO bypass

Learned a lot of from my Dad, self employed carpenter for over 40 years. Most of his saws and tools are old enough that they didn't have safety guards. He taught me to be super careful in all areas of life.

Back in the 70's he was trying to start small engine with a pull rope...the kind that temporarily attached to the top of engine...as it came off the engine the end of rope caught him in the eye. As a young kid I remember him lying in dark bedroom, patch over his eye, saying, "Always be careful son...you never know what might hurt you." Thankfully the damage was minor, no loss of sight or anything like that. Amazingly he has all his fingers and toes after all those years...he never wore safety glasses or ear protection...his eyes and ears are better at 80 years old vs. mine at 54. God just made people tougher back then! : )

Reactions: myrna
Discussion starter · #28 ·
I hope you’ll accept my apology seeing how I misread thinking someone was working alongside the mower. I never meant who was driving it. I was just defending my decision to remove the guards. Nothing else. Again. My humble apology if I came off insulting you and yours.

Thanks, no harm no foul
Great information share here, as always!

I am all about safety-first, but there are some areas where I make adjustments:

100% always, every time I'm mowing:
  • Eye protection
  • Ear protection
  • Hat and sunscreen (just had skin cancer removed from my head...)
  • Seat shut-off left in tact
  • Check fluids and machine to identify any issues
  • Always power down, turn off PTO, set parking brake before I get off tractor
  • Never step on the mowing deck...mine was a PITA to get leveled...don't want to mess that up.
  • Never work on tractor with motor running, ever.
  • Ever mindful where mower discharge pointed / turn off mower when people or the canine's are out

Modification:
  • Mower deck spindle covers have been removed
  • Installed RIO bypass

Learned a lot of from my Dad, self employed carpenter for over 40 years. Most of his saws and tools are old enough that they didn't have safety guards. He taught me to be super careful in all areas of life.

Back in the 70's he was trying to start small engine with a pull rope...the kind that temporarily attached to the top of engine...as it came off the engine the end of rope caught him in the eye. As a young kid I remember him lying in dark bedroom, patch over his eye, saying, "Always be careful son...you never know what might hurt you." Thankfully the damage was minor, no loss of sight or anything like that. Amazingly he has all his fingers and toes after all those years...he never wore safety glasses or ear protection...his eyes and ears are better at 80 years old vs. mine at 54. God just made people tougher back then! : )
I recently retired as a carpenter after almost 40 years and am a proud member of the 10 & 10 club as well.

Reactions: DaubsNU1
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.