Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,102 Posts
I run stock JD mulching blades on my X500/48" (with mulch kit installed). I am very satisfied with the way they work. I sometimes let my grass get 5-6 inches tall and then cut to 3". No clumps of grass, no windrows, no visible clippings.

Reactions: Jdbest and Robnik

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I have OEM and G6 blades. I use whatever is sharp at the time I need to change them.

Reactions: Jdbest

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
The first time I needed new blades, I went with Gator Blades. That's all I use on my 2520 and my 316! When I bought my 2520, the dealer threw in a set of JD mulching blades. I took them out of the box, looked at them and put them back in the box. Nothing against them, I just like my Gators better!:good2:

I don't sharpen either. I just buy new every two years. They really aren't that expensive considering what parts cost!

·
Registered
446 Posts
A buddy recommended gator blades. I figure I may give them a try when the original blades on my 1979 model 46 mower crap out. :flag_of_truce:

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
I've been using the Oregon G6 Gator blades as well. They're definitely much harder than the OEM Deer blades and seem to stay sharp longer.

You can easily file sharpen the JD blades. No way with G6 blades. I use the handheld grinder with a fine disk for sharpening and balancing the G6's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Personally, I have never understood the obsession with Gator blades. I have tries them on 2 different machines before and, both times, I was completely underwhelmed. For me, they were louder and produced more vibration than the oem blades with zero improvement in cut quality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
rottendiesel that is not the norm for Gator blades. It's the exact opposite with almost 100% of the users. I've ran them on both my 316 with 50" deck and my 2520 with the 62" deck for the last 10 years! They have been nothing but awesome for me.

They aren't louder and I've never experienced any vibration of any kind.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was mistaken when I mentioned Gator Blades in post #7. The guy actually mentioned the Mega-Mo blades made near his home. https://www.meg-mo.com/ Has anyone used these? Or even heard of them?

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
Yep, I've heard of them, but I sure don't need to spend that kind of money on blades for a good cut! I'll stick with my Gators!:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts