Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now here's a new one for me. Stored the mower deck up on edge for the winter, sitting on it's trailing edge side. Was checking things now that weather is slowly warming and see gear lube/oil pooling on the floor. It's right under the drive box (the gear box where the rock shaft connects). Significant enough that I'll need to add whatever lube is required before using.

Curious if anyone else has seen this? I didn't see anything after searching the forum.

The deck is the 54HC on an X738. Next winter I'll store on the leading edge (the deck, not the tractor).

·
Registered
794 Posts
It probably came out of the vent plug. The vent plug is normally on top when the deck is in it's normal horizontal position. So yes you will need to check level in it before using it. Next time you store it, you'll have to figure out what to do. Some vents are not easy to remove and place a temp plug in. Then you have to remember to put it back in befor the next mowing season.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
The gear oil is most likely leaking out the breather on the top of the gear box. This breather has a check valve in it so it usually will not leak although the check valves are not always perfectly sealed so that is why the gear oil will slowly leak out over time.

Some remove the breather and install a pipe plug to prevent the leak. If you do this, just remember to put the breather back in prior to use.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
The manual recommends:

• GL-5 GEAR LUBRICANT®—SAE 80W-90

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I stored it for the winter. I asked the question here and was told that it does happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts