Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just completed 2 hours of mowing and was taking a break. I went out to check the 2320 tractor w/62D deck out and make sure everything was OK. I bent down to remove some cut grass from the deck and when I touched the ramp it was hot. Then I touched the pulleys and they were to hot to hold my hand on them. Is this normal?

·
Administrator
22,588 Posts
Yes. The friction from the belt running over the pulleys at high speed generates that heat. The gearbox will also get fairly hot. No worries, it's all totally normal. :drinks:

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I was shocked how hot the gearbox on my 62C got, but after 930 hours, it's no worse. Keep those spindles greased:good2:

·
Registered
162 Posts
All good points but would add - the potential for fire is high if the areas around the hot spots aren't cleaned out constantly. Dead/dry grass, leafs, twigs can get hot enough to ignite which I had happen on my old 10XL Custom. Fortunately, I was close by and saw the smoke rising! Since then, I always blow off the deck immediately after cutting.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Since then, I always blow off the deck immediately after cutting.
Being there are so many nooks and crannies for grass to hide on these big decks,this is a very good habit to get into.:good2:

Greg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the potential for fire is high
I agree, had a thumb sized stick get wedged in the drive over ramp once. I heard this noise and glanced down and saw smoke coming out and then a flame! When I shut her down and the friction of the belt rubbing against the stick died, the fire died also. Glad there wasn't a bunch of grass packed under there to fuel the flames.:fire:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.