Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to site and hoping for some advice/help. Half and hour into cutting 3 acres of grass the mowing deck stopped cutting. However engine continued to run. PTO switch was still on, PTO indication light still on, and temp gauge was normal. I shut off PTO switch and pulled it back on and the mowing deck reengaged and I continue to cut for about 10 minutes when it happened again. I was able to repeat the process of shutting off PTO switch and turning it back on to get deck turning again. However, after a brief period it shut down again. I can reengage PTO but after brief period it will shut off again.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Sounds like a RIO problem. does it cut out when you are backing up. when this happened to my son he had no idea about the RIO switch.

Reactions: BetterThanATonka

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for feedback. There is no RIO switch on the tractor that I am aware of. I have put the tractor in reverse in past and it continues to cut when I do that. Tractor is a 2011 model year with only 130 hrs on it.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Sooooo, what machine are we actually discussing? :unknown:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Good question. Just realized I had not included that info. It is a 1023E model year 2012 with 60" mid mount mower
Looks like we need you serial number to narrow this down. I am trying to confirm you do not have the RIO switch. Model year is not good enough to do this. Have you gone through all the switch testing per your manual?

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Serial number is: 1LV1023EJAE110049

I have not done the electrical testing. Waiting for arrival of tech manual so I can look at electrical schematic.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Serial number is: 1LV1023EJAE110049

I have not done the electrical testing. Waiting for arrival of tech manual so I can look at electrical schematic.
Your owners manual has some basic testing to help narrow down safety switch issues.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
OK, I have verified, you do not have the RIO switch for your machine. Also, I am thinking that your issue maybe intermittent at this time and may take some patience to get this worked out. I am thinking it is one of your safety switches (most likely the PTO), at least that is where to start. The seat switch would shut down the machine and not just the PTO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for verification regarding RIO switch. I'm leaning toward something electrical because the solenoid which operates the hydraulic valve is being deenergized as I can hear it click back in after I have depressed the PTO switch and turned it back on.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
The PTO switch itself could be going bad and getting ready to go dead completely. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Bumpy ground - seat switch disengaging PTO...?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If that were the case I would think it would shut down the engine also which it doesn't do. Also, it occurs on both bumpy and smooth cutting surfaces.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If that were the case I would think it would shut down the engine also which it doesn't do. Also, it occurs on both bumpy and smooth cutting surfaces.
One thing I noticed before I became "RIOS Aware", my RIOS would shut off the mower every time when backing up and the lever left alone... not too bad, safe enough. But sometimes it would also shut off the fully HOT engine, but only sometimes. Try jumping the switch leads or block the button up and see if it still does it, simple test might eliminate one path.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It has been confirmed that there is no RIO switch on this unit. I confirmed it was not the PTO switch yesterday when mowing. I removed it from dash and let it hang out where manual throttle control is located. I was then able to measure voltage across the switch. I mowed for about an hour when the deck shut down. PTO indicator remains lit on dash but the deck is not engaged. PTO switch measured zero volts as would be expected across a closed switch (on position). I shut off the PTO switch and turned it back on and mowing deck started cutting again. This then happened again 3 times in half hour before I called it quits

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
It has been confirmed that there is no RIO switch on this unit. I confirmed it was not the PTO switch yesterday when mowing. I removed it from dash and let it hang out where manual throttle control is located. I was then able to measure voltage across the switch. I mowed for about an hour when the deck shut down. PTO indicator remains lit on dash but the deck is not engaged. PTO switch measured zero volts as would be expected across a closed switch (on position). I shut off the PTO switch and turned it back on and mowing deck started cutting again. This then happened again 3 times in half hour before I called it quits
Are going to replace the switch?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
When you measured 0 volts, were you measuring from switch wire to switch wire or from ground to each wire individually? If you haven't, test from ground to each side of the switch when the problem begins to occur.

It sounds like something, either the switch or the PTO coil is getting hot and breaking down under load. I would suspect the coil, but we need to nail that down to be sure. You could also test from ground to the electrical connectors at the coil when the problem occurs to ensure you're getting power to it.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Looks like you are closing in on your answer.

1023E PTO Problem

That user hasn't logged in for a while.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts