Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1025 with a 60" mower deck. I bought new in 2014. The Tractor has 200 hours on it and about 25 hours mowing. 2 of the spindles failed at the same time. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Premium Member
12,656 Posts
Do you routinely use the deck washout port?

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
What part failed? is it a moisture problem? mine is only 3 months old no problems yet. can you get pictures? Warranty coverage? Good Luck

·
Registered
967 Posts
Not to add any insult to your injury here but, I have Five Seasons on my deck mowing 10(?) acres almost weekly for 6 Months. Three hours each time. Did lose a gearbox although on the deck last year. My guess is that you need to grease the spindles often. And check that gearbox! Others have stated that the spindles are long lasting.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
54 deck on the 445. Tractor has about 1850 hours. At least 60% of that time since 1995 has been with the mower. Only replaced a few belts and blades. I shouldn't say this, but never a spindle.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
lubricate early and often

·
Registered
572 Posts
60D Service intervals

I agree with lubricating early and often. However, with 25 hours on the mower, you are right at the service interval for lubing.

60D Service.png

As others indicated, If you've been washing the deck you need to grease more frequently.

·
Registered
23,026 Posts
As others indicated, If you've been washing the deck you need to grease more frequently.
Some folks disagree with me, but I feel washing a hot mower after use with cold water will not be good for the bearings.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,829 Posts
I grease the spindles at 20 hours on my 72" 7 Iron deck.
The Deere manual says every 50 hours, but I think that's too long of an interval.
Three shots of grease in each of the 3 spindles, don't "over grease", could mess up the lower seals.

Seldom wash the deck, but blow it off with the compressor after every use, top side and bottom side.
Made a special long wand to easily reach the underside and hit it with 100 - 125 psi of air.
If you do it right after mowing, underside cleans up real easy.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Some folks disagree with me, but I feel washing a hot mower after use with cold water will not be good for the bearings.
:laugh:
Well,I beez a "folk".:laugh: Technique is everything... just don't blast the spindles with the nozzle and DON'T use the wash port! The water entry via the port is not at the proper point to do the best wash job under there. Centrifugal force is your friend in the spindle area, it will counteract most of the moisture that tries to enter the seals (as long as one doesn't spray the spindles directly). Mower deck washout (NO pressure washer) has been working well for me since right around 1953.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I found that I had to pump a large quantity of grease into my spindles before they would exhibit any sign of being full and beginning to escape. After that initial filling I give them two shots each about every eight hours of mowing. I believe these spindle assemblies only have a little grease inside the races themselves and the spindle cavity is dry when we receive them.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
One of the biggest secrets John Deere has in the underground guarded vault is how much grease to put into a mower spindle. I've got 2 decks and the manuals that came with both only to say "Lubricate Spindles". I'm pretty sure they are not to be filled with grease, only about 4-6 pumps at a time. Now this ain't gospel, just a consensus from lots of people I've talked with. Once the spindles heat up and are up to full RPM the softened grease moves through the entire cavity between the bearings. Too much grease WILL push past the seals when pressure builds up from heat. I don't see that doing any harm once or twice but not every lube cycle...

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
One of the biggest secrets John Deere has in the underground guarded vault is how much grease to put into a mower spindle. I've got 2 decks and the manuals that came with both only to say "Lubricate Spindles". I'm pretty sure they are not to be filled with grease, only about 4-6 pumps at a time. Now this ain't gospel, just a consensus from lots of people I've talked with. Once the spindles heat up and are up to full RPM the softened grease moves through the entire cavity between the bearings. Too much grease WILL push past the seals when pressure builds up from heat. I don't see that doing any harm once or twice but not every lube cycle...
Eventually when a guy shoots a few shots of grease per schedule the cavity will be filled anyway and migration out of the seals will begin. But what if this takes a year or two and the lower bearings see no grease until then? I don't feel that at these shaft rpms that much bearing or seal damage occurs from overlubrication.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Eventually when a guy shoots a few shots of grease per schedule the cavity will be filled anyway and migration out of the seals will begin. But what if this takes a year or two and the lower bearings see no grease until then? I don't feel that at these shaft rpms that much bearing or seal damage occurs from overlubrication.
Since Spring '04 my 48C deck has gotten 4 shots of gen-u-ine JD green grease every mow, 1/2 acre lawn, neighbor's places + leaf duty. I have yet to see a trace of grease near the top or bottom seals. I often wonder just where it's gone!:laugh: But why is it such a JD secret how much grease to use? Sell more spindles, bearings, etc.? Maybe this is the last remaining engineering mystery (after body panel fit) that JD has left to solve... Enquiring minds want to know.:laugh:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Because the grease port is a cross drilled hole in the spindle shaft, as you all have mentioned, the grease that is being pumped into the spindle is actually filling the cavity between the bearings. Because of this, when greasing the spindles, the grease fills the cavity and then pushes out into the bearings.

The grease inside the spindle actually doesn't go anywhere. If you do not pump enough grease into the spindle to actually push grease into the bearings, the grease is doing nothing.

Also, there are many types of seals that are manufactured. Seals that are used in this type of application have a lip that is tapered on the inside so over-pressured grease can push out between the seal lip and the shaft. Any grease-able application like these spindles will have this type of seal so that the grease can be purged through the bearings over time without pushing the seal out.

In the below picture, 32 would be used for sealing grease, 31 would not (oil only).

These spindles are high speed operations, so, grease often with three to four pumps of grease. Why JD put a 25 hour grease interval in the op manual, who knows??

I remove my mmm every week, so I grease mine approx. every two times I use it. And yes, grease pushes out under the grass deflector boot at the top of the spindle. :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts