Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a source for MMM deck storage wheels that allow the deck to be stored in a vertical position and moved around the garage/barn?

I seem to recall seeing these axles/wheels which take the place of two of the anti scalp wheels.

Looking to store my 72D MMM for the winter and moving it around easily in a vertical orientation.

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,303 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
We all like what you do Kenny! What are the chances I would grab the picture of your deck?!?

I have found the best place to store my deck is under my lawn mower...LOL.. I don't put on the snow blower any more..... So it makes it easy. But if I did take it off I would own his wheel!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Found Larry's mower axle site. Any idea what the wheels are made out of - hard plastic or rubber? What does the single large diameter hole on the axle shaft do?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,303 Posts
Thanks guys. Found Larry's mower axle site. Any idea what the wheels are made out of - hard plastic or rubber? What does the single large diameter hole on the axle shaft do?

Thanks
The wheels are hard plastic-not unlike the wheels that are on your deck now if not the same. The hole is for the pins to hold the axles in place.

These axles replace your anti-scalp wheels, so whatever pin holds them in place will index into the hole in the axle.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand now. Thanks Kennyd

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the great idea Kenny! Got mine installed last weekend, it's by far the best money I've spent in ages I wish I had these on my last deck.

IMG_0691.JPG

·
Administrator
17,303 Posts
Thanks for the update TK

·
Registered
85 Posts
Anyone tried using these wheels on a 60D Auto Connect (for a 1026R)? I just took delivery this past weekend and the deck sure takes up a lot of floor space laying flat. Tried to slide it under the dismounted FEL, but it won't fit with the long mounting bracket out the front of it. Vertical (with a chain) seems like the way to go, plus a great way to clean and work on the deck also. $149 for the 60D/1026R seems a bit pricy compared to the other kits, but I can't think of a better way to store and move this beast.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Had to put my 60D MMM up on the top shelf in the shed for the winter, or else I would not be able to get the 1026 in there let alone do anything else..

·
Registered
363 Posts
NTTTG I have a Mower Deck Axle #37 for my 1026R 60D AutoConnect deck. It works very well and saves a lot of space. Bob

·
Registered
85 Posts
NTTTG I have a Mower Deck Axle #37 for my 1026R 60D AutoConnect deck. It works very well and saves a lot of space. Bob
Thanks Bob, I just ordered one myself. Really looking forward to saving some space and being able to work on it.

Three questions:

1) how do you lift your deck to install the mower deck axles?

2) It seems to me, without a lot of analysis, that the gage wheels are not perfectly at right angles/90 degrees to the main body of the deck. I could be off on this since I didn't have the deck on for long during the inital delivery and spent most time since learning the loader, getting ballast box set up, learning tractor. Does the deck lean at all when you roll it around or does it stand up straight? just curious, I'm going to be chaining it to the wall as I have 3 young kids.

3) Have you had it freestanding and presure washed it or cleaned it off that way?

·
Registered
363 Posts
NTTTG----I had my neighbor help me lift it up to standing position. We initially raised the deck up with blocks of wood to be able to put on the axles and wheels. It is very solid when it is free standing. I did not pressure wash it---because I hardly used it----but I am pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem. With 3 young kids you should definitely chain it to a wall. Bob

·
Registered
85 Posts
NTTTG----I had my neighbor help me lift it up to standing position. We initially raised the deck up with blocks of wood to be able to put on the axles and wheels. It is very solid when it is free standing. I did not pressure wash it---because I hardly used it----but I am pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem. With 3 young kids you should definitely chain it to a wall. Bob
Bob forwarded me a pic of his 60D on the mower deck axles and i'm posting it for him. Mine shipped today. Pics when they arrive.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The wheel and axle kits are nice. If I still had access to an engine lathe I would make axles like that.

I used 1 1/4" OD tube, 1/2" bar stock, and wheels off an old push mower deck.

Suspect I have about $12.oo in the whole thing.
At as much as $149.oo that's a little too rich for me..........

Good luck

·
Registered
360 Posts
The wheel and axle kits are nice. If I still had access to an engine lathe I would make axles like that.

I used 1 1/4" OD tube, 1/2" bar stock, and wheels off an old push mower deck.

Suspect I have about $12.oo in the whole thing.
At as much as $149.oo that's a little too rich for me..........

Good luck
Can you post pics of your homemade versions?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I remember reading this thread when I first joined, and today I made my own set of wheels for the 62D deck. This is truly one of the greatest helpers you can get (or build)!!!! A guy had a post over on "the other forum" about using 1/2" black pipe because it is close to the diameter of the shafts that the wheels are mounted to, and the ID of the 1/2" pipe is darn close to 5/8" which happens to be a common size for axles for wheels you can purchase at the home improvement store or Harbor Freight. Since I happened to have a few pieces of 1/2" black pipe and 5/8" rod laying around, I figured I'd put it to use.

I used 14" pieces of pipe because it seemed wide enough to be stable, but not so wide that I'd be tripping over the wheels. I cleaned up the seam on the inside of the pipe on my lathe, and the 5/8" rod fit inside snugly with a few hits of a 3 lb sledgehammer. I drilled the ends of the 5/8" rod for R-clips (since they won't be used anywhere near sticks and brush to pull them out :laugh: ). I also drilled a hole in the pipe for the spring pins on the mower to pop into to keep the wheels in place. Up to this point my total cost was around, well, free, since I had the junk laying around.

The one thing I had to spend money on was the wheels. I store the mower and tractor in my polebarn, which just has a crushed stone floor. I figured the bigger the tires, the easier to roll around. Also, I HATE flat tires. I try to only use tires and casters that aren't pneumatic because if they can go flat, they always do just when I need them. I went with 4 of the solid rubber wheelbarrow wheels/tires. They are 16" diameter and won't go flat even if you cut a slice in them with a sawzall. The downside is they cost $30 apiece. For me, it was worth it.

I just finished it up and put the mower and tractor away for the day and didn't get any photos. I'll snap a few tomorrow and post them if anyone is interested.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts