Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I took my blades off for the new season sharpening. That went well. Now, does it matter how I put the blades back on? When I took the blades off, they were in somewhat of an order- each one was within 45 degrees of the other.

When I put them back on, I put all of them on vertical- each blade runs from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. I also spun them by hand a bit to make sure there were no clearance issues.

I also thought about installing them in a "cascading" or "sweeping" pattern to whisk the clippings out the chute.

Does it make any difference at all?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. Guess it's kinda like the "keep your AR's gas rings staggered" hoopla. Sure you can stagger them, but a few shots is gonna have them all twisted around.

·
Premium Member
12,881 Posts
We should consider ourselves lucky that we don't, my FIL's Kabota they have to be set just a certain way (they do provide a diagram), and if you don't get them just right it becomes the biggest POS you've ever seen, clumping and bogging down the tractor.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I don't worry about it much but when mounting mine I normally do the outside ones at 12-6 and the middle one at 3-9. It is easier to reach and when it comes time to swap them again they are never timed. They are just randomly where ever they happened to stop. I mainly do that because it is a further reach to that middle one and for the outer ones easier to hold the blade there while running the impact. I also can't pull the deck on a ZTrak so I am working on my back.

A bigger issue is to get the blade mounted right. I was in a hurry last time I swapped them out and must have missed the step in the spindle a bit and tightened the blade a bit out of whack. I started mowing and the entire machine shook pretty bad. I shut it right down and went back and reset all of them and it was fine.

·
Premium Member
12,881 Posts
I don't worry about it much but when mounting mine I normally do the outside ones at 12-6 and the middle one at 3-9. It is easier to reach and when it comes time to swap them again they are never timed. They are just randomly where ever they happened to stop. I mainly do that because it is a further reach to that middle one and for the outer ones easier to hold the blade there while running the impact. I also can't pull the deck on a ZTrak so I am working on my back.

A bigger issue is to get the blade mounted right. I was in a hurry last time I swapped them out and must have missed the step in the spindle a bit and tightened the blade a bit out of whack. I started mowing and the entire machine shook pretty bad. I shut it right down and went back and reset all of them and it was fine.
Yup, did that once last summer after cleaning and sharpening mine. :banghead:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts