Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Member here

Winter is here so I purchased a X310 with the 44" snowblower. It came with a 42" 2 blade mower deck. I prefer the 48" 3 blade deck - can I install a 48" deck on this mower?

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I can't answer your question, but am sure many others on here can.

But, I did want to say...

:gtfam:

And congrats on the new machine!! :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Not according to Deere's website. They only offer the 42 on this model.

·
Premium Member
14,388 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia

:wgtt:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too have a X310 and a 48 Edge deck was never an option. The 42 Edge deck was/is standard equipment. I'm confident there is a very good reason for this as well. It could very well be a hydraulic concern. The 42 Edge deck weighs 92 lbs. whereas the 48 Edge deck weighs 133 lbs. a 41 lbs difference. I also have a 48 Edge deck for my X320 but have not looked close enough to know if the two would actually interchange. Contact the John Deere dealer you purchased your X310 from and ask them if it's possible. Could be spindle issues with the center blade on a three blade deck and the hydraulic configuration under the X310. I would need to take a closer look. Like I said there's a reason the X310 won't take on a 48 Edge deck otherwise the 48 Edge would have been an option.
:unknown:
Kenneth

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too have a X310 and a 48 Edge deck was never an option. The 42 Edge deck was/is standard equipment. I'm confident there is a very good reason for this as well. It could very well be a hydraulic concern. The 42 Edge deck weighs 92 lbs. whereas the 48 Edge deck weighs 133 lbs. a 41 lbs difference. I also have a 48 Edge deck for my X320 but have not looked close enough to know if the two would actually interchange. Contact the John Deere dealer you purchased your X310 from and ask them if it's possible. Could be spindle issues with the center blade on a three blade deck and the hydraulic configuration under the X310. I would need to take a closer look. Like I said there's a reason the X310 won't take on a 48 Edge deck otherwise the 48 Edge would have been an option.
:unknown:
Kenneth
I hear you on the weight of the deck - I downsized from a 2005 LX280 with a 54" deck - the 42" is very light in comparison. As far as I can tell the old LX280 and the X310 have the same engine, so its not a question of power for the 48" deck. Like you say, the hydraulics is probably the issue. The JD dealer simply went to the book and said it was not available - I knew that already, so not much help. I don't really need the extra mowing width - I just like the nice 3 blade mowing job.

Thanks for the comments, Kenneth, much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CaptianIron,

I would not be too quick to give up without looking at the two decks side by side -- the larger deck was offered on the x300 so it should not be a horsepower issue.

Look at this attachment section from the earlier TM2308 -- I know the x310 is a more recent line addition but not that unique...unless the hydraulic deck lift is the issue.
View attachment 36184 View attachment 36184

Chuck
I agree on the HP non issue.
Thanks for the info, Chuck

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
To the OP: :wgtt:

I have the X320 with the 48 inch deck, so I can't intelligently comment. But both Chuck and Ken make good points. Thanks, guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts