Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've got a 60D mower deck to put up for winter and was wondering what everyone did to keep theirs in tip top shape over the long winter.
So far I've power washed mine and then shot some TSC primer and John Deere green paint on the bottom to prevent rust. Also ran some fresh grease into it. Is there anything else anyone likes to do? I need to get a better system for sharpening the blades as my dremmal's lawnmower blade sharpener was not designed for the massive 60D's blades. I also pulled the mulch kit off as I like to mow the leaves into a pile and run my yard rake over them for an easy cleanup. Is there a dressing for the belt or anything else I may have overlooked?

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Good topic 636. I don't have a MMM yet, my old 42" Craftsman does my finish mowing but I do have a 48" rough cut. I generally don't do anything for either before winter. My Craftsman ends up in pretty rough shape so I am looking forward to a few pointers for general maintenance. This is the first year for my Frontier RC so and I just put it on blocks and tarped it for the winter. I should have at least changed the gearbox oil in case there was moisture in it. I like your idea of hitting it with a coat of paint.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,866 Posts
I put ours away for winter and worry about what needs to be done in the Spring.
In the Spring and 2 or 3 times a season I clean the underside of our mower decks and grease every thing. I don't sharpen blades but I do buy new blades every other year.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good topic 636. I don't have a MMM yet, my old 42" Craftsman does my finish mowing but I do have a 48" rough cut. I generally don't do anything for either before winter. My Craftsman ends up in pretty rough shape so I am looking forward to a few pointers for general maintenance. This is the first year for my Frontier RC so and I just put it on blocks and tarped it for the winter. I should have at least changed the gearbox oil in case there was moisture in it. I like your idea of hitting it with a coat of paint.
I did the same thing with my County Line Rough cut mower. Got it all cleaned up and parked it in the shed out back. Also put it up on blocks so some air can flow around it. The shed has a dirt floor and I know how hard that can be on metal...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I scrape the underside of mine and then pressure wash it. Once it dries I apply a coat of any kind of motor oil with a cheap paint brush. I also grease it up good.

·
Administrator
20,916 Posts
Hello all,

I've got a 60D mower deck to put up for winter and was wondering what everyone did to keep theirs in tip top shape over the long winter.
So far I've power washed mine and then shot some TSC primer and John Deere green paint on the bottom to prevent rust. Also ran some fresh grease into it. Is there anything else anyone likes to do? I need to get a better system for sharpening the blades as my dremmal's lawnmower blade sharpener was not designed for the massive 60D's blades. I also pulled the mulch kit off as I like to mow the leaves into a pile and run my yard rake over them for an easy cleanup. Is there a dressing for the belt or anything else I may have overlooked?

I do the very thing you did. Pressure wash, sharpen the blades, grease the spindles and paint the under side where it's down to bare metal. I wouldn't put any dressing on the belt. Dressing usually causes more harm than good, not to mention the mess. I would also change the oil in the gear box as it's easy enough to do and cheap. The manual calls for an oil change at 500 or 600 hours. That's too long for me.:lol:

·
Premium Member
14,920 Posts
For years I scraped the bottom of mine and then I would prime and put finish coat of paint , remove the blades and sharpen them , and then put blades back on for the winter. Plus I grease the spindles, fittings, and wheels when I had the 54" .
Now I scrape the larger amounts of cuttings out from under the deck. After scraping now I brush Purple Power on under side and top of deck. After it sets for awhile I use a plastic scraper ,then rinse it off , then do same thing again. After 2 or 3 time brushing PP on under side of deck and then rinse it off with garden hose deck is clean inside and out. Found doing it this way less factory paint is removed and the spray paint seems to last longer.
I remove the covers over the belt remove the belt clean all the junk from under the pulleys by using air, piece of wire or whatever it takes to get everything removed. Put everything back together, also remove blades, clean, sharpen them and then reinstall ,ready for another year.
Do the same thing for Stihl Weedeater . Come spring everything looks new and ready to use another season.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I do pretty much the same and will probably take a crack at it this weekend after one last final mowing. Here are a few pictures from last year cleaning out the LA105 deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I do pretty much the same and will probably take a crack at it this weekend after one last final mowing.
You're still mowing your lawn? WOW.......I was done a month and a half ago! The joys of living in northern Maine I guess. LOL! Hey..........what happened to your pics?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Top growth here has all but slowed to crawl, having grown about .25 inch in the last ten days or so. Keep in mind, I drop heavy doses of fertilizer on my lawn throughout the year. I'll drop my last batch of winterizer on Friday after one last cutting and let the lawn snooze until next spring.

Re: Pics - they were too big at first, but just compressed them and they are posted now.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
48C deck... I never have to clean out the deck after removing for the season because leaves/stick/twig duty cleans out the mower automatically. Be sure if you grease your spindles, do it BEFORE you remove the deck and run it as just shooting a glob in there and not running the deck accomplishes nothing for the bearings.

I wonder, am I the only one that releases the big deck belt tension spring for the winter? I don't see where leaving the tension on does anything for the belt or spring over the winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts