Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious looking for opinions on having the chute up or the shoot down when mowing. I know it should be down for safety but also wondering if with the chute up if it helps with throwing clippings farther and stop some of the clumps of grass in yard after some heavy cutting. :usa

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Do you mean the mower chute or discharge guard? If so, I leave it down as much as I can when around buildings, gardens, pools, landscaping, etc. But I’ll leave it up if I’m nowhere near a road and out in the open. :good2:

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
Mine has never been installed on my present deck.

But with that said - when I was mowing commercially it was always on and down.

Edit to add - oops...here I am in a sub-compact thread again.....

·
Old Pa-pa
11,312 Posts
I always go with the chute down, ain't worth the risk with the blades moving at 205 MPH setting something flying.

Had a little 1" X 6" oak stick blast thru the deflector chute of my Z Trak, it and part of the chute landed 30 feet away.

The problem is a design flaw and also the chute on the 7 Iron deck being way too thin. (I have corrected the Deere design flaw since.)

Did a bunch of calculations just for the heck of it and figured out from the ballistic formula used in shooting sports, the little stick weighing
only 1.92 ounces, will hit at 168.55 foot pounds of energy when moving at 205 MPH.

Anyway you look at it, being hit by something with an inertial mass of 168 pounds at 205 MPH is not a good thing.

Lots of kinetic energy to be adsorbed when it goes splat against something or somebody.

That's just a little stick, think about a rock, piece of metal, etc., etc. weighing a little more.

Like I said, ain't worth the risk of hurting somebody with the chute up.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
That's why I **LOOOVE** my mulch kit. I ain't got no time for no chute!! Trim close on the left - trim close on the right. Mow next to the cars on the right - mow next to the cars on the left... nut'n come'n outta my deck except air. :)

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
Edit to add - oops...here I am in a sub-compact thread again.....
That's okay. This question applies to any size tractor with a mower deck.

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
I’m waiting on the OP to answer my original question to make sure. If it’s what I believe he’s asking, I’ll move it to the appropriate forum. :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,642 Posts
I’m waiting on the OP to answer my original question to make sure. If it’s what I believe he’s asking, I’ll move it to the appropriate forum. :good2:
And maybe change the title/topic?

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,312 Posts
I'm interpreting it as him asking safety vs. looks.
You won't clump grass as much for sure, but it's a heck of a lot less safe.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,312 Posts

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Please give the OP some leeway here guys. He hasn’t answered my question yet, we don’t really know what he’s asking. We’ve probably already answered his question, but it’d be nice to clear it up so we can all offer our opinions. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you mean the mower chute or discharge guard? If so, I leave it down as much as I can when around buildings, gardens, pools, landscaping, etc. But I’ll leave it up if I’m nowhere near a road and out in the open. :good2:
Sorry, plastic discharge guard I guess. Not sure what your talking about when you say mower chute.:banghead:

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Sorry, plastic discharge guard I guess. Not sure what your talking about when you say mower chute.:banghead:
No worries my friend. It’s a discharge chute. Or whatever. :lol:

I’ll be moving this to the General Tractor Ownership forum for a better fit and more responses. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nothing to do with looks, as a matter of fact it looks pretty scary seeing that blade start spinning up. I had my wife stop and turn off mower, then I lifted plastic chute because our grass was so high thinking it might cut and not clump as much. When she started the blades it was crazy dangerous looking. When she was done with that area the chute went back down and will stay down 99% of the time!!!:usa

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
That's why I **LOOOVE** my mulch kit. I ain't got no time for no chute!! Trim close on the left - trim close on the right. Mow next to the cars on the right - mow next to the cars on the left... nut'n come'n outta my deck except air. :)
Everything said above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ love the mulching kit for the same reasons. :good2:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
When I mowed with my 345 48, I had it bungied up all the time because I liked the grass spread further and I have a pin oak tree precisely 50 inches from a fence on the east side of my property that it would just fit between. My 60 on the 455 doesn't and the schute is bolted solid and I haven't removed it. It mows great with it down so I'm happy to leave it that way. Now, my father on the other hand mows with his bungied up and has sent rocks through the back window of one of his cars and a picture window in his house. Logic would tell me that the first incident and certainly the second would change this behavior but nope. :gizmo:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts