Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you remove the mower discharge deflector? You know, the black thing on the side of your mower that says do not remove?:lol:

My mower will fill through this gate if the deflector is up. I also wonder if clippings would disperse better? This mower doesn't disperse clippings nearly as far as the last one so I get the windrow effect. Then there's the wind. It seems to be windy every time I mow. This tends to kick up some dry clippings and the tractor gets a beard on the grill.

I may try this but figured I wanted to hear what you guys do.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Too each his own, I have never removed one on any of the side discharge mowers I ever had. Now, I do commerical mowing, but on my Z turns, I have a rope and hook that I can clip it up at any time or drop it.. There are so many times I need to control the clippings or windy conditions.

Also a tip, if the wind is mowing, try to mow so your blowing the clippings out ( I usually mow back and forth blowing in and then out) with the wind behind you.. The mower decks usually blow out with a slight rearward direction and with the wind behind you, it will kinda flip the grass forward and most times will help spread the grass around... It works on my Z turns. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I normally raise it and keep it up using a bungee cord. Having it up throws and disperses the clippings a lot further. The only time I put it down is when it's really windy...........the clippings hit me square in the face on every other pass.

·
Vendor
468 Posts
I normally raise it and keep it up using a bungee cord. Having it up throws and disperses the clippings a lot further. The only time I put it down is when it's really windy...........the clippings hit me square in the face on every other pass.
I do the exact same thing!

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Same here.
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX

·
Registered
528 Posts
mine is usually up held back with a strap. My lawn grows fast and is quite thick. The 62D deflector is so low to the ground that it makes terrible windrows and ends up hurting my grass. With the deflector up I can spread the clippings better in a larger pattern especially during the spring mowing. So I wouldn't say I remove it....

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have never moved mine up or anything. Just left it where it is. I might try moving it up a bit with a strap or something I have a patch in my yard that is just really thick grass. that may help it shoot out better with it up..heh :laugh:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I used to run Kubota Z turns for a couple years, and they had metal deflectors on them that was aimed down too much. There was a hole in the deflector and deck to bolt them down, so I put a small pin and used flat washers as spacers to hold the deflector up a bit.. Made a big difference.. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also have a cord hooked to the end of mine. On thinner grass, I leave it down, then pick it up some when the grass gets thicker. As others have said, it doesn't seem to windrow or clog near as bad.

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the deflector off as a science experiment prior to mowing yesterday. What a difference! The 62D threw the grass much further, dispersed much much better with almost no clumping. Heck, I even fit through a gate that I didn't before without screwing around with the deflector. Trimming is even easier. The deflector is probably destined to be a permanent wall hanger now.:lol:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
You mean it worked better than merely locking it in the 'up' position with a bungee cord?

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You mean it worked better than merely locking it in the 'up' position with a bungee cord?
That was my gate issue. Deflector still interferes with the gate even folded. It was just a PIA. Now it's not an issue at all.:good2: (I'm not suggesting this is the best solution for all, but it did work well for me.)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Here is what I do on my JD Z turns..

Drill a 1/2 hole in the deflector. Get some 1/2 rope, stick through the hole and tie a knot. Then I put other end of rope on the right stick and clamped it on with a old weed eater strap loops. Then instal the hook end at a point that when the stick is in mowing position, the deflector is up.. Also just unhook and the defector is down when mowing.

P1030057_zpse533d490.jpg

P1030056_zps069d347d.jpg

^^^ When you slide stick out to hop off machine, the deflector is always down... (since MY blades can keep running when off the seat... My mowers are special :fed: )..

Thats how I roll... :good2:

P1030058_zpsc488d0ac.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Four!!!!

I've used tractor belly mowers for years. My old 655 had a metal deflector. I replaced it a couple times because being metal, banging into anything, it got damaged. The new plastic ones are more forgiving. It's also important to remember, those blades can throw a rock or other object up from under the mower deck at quite a high speed and for some distance. A flying object can sure put out an eye, window or strike something we may not want damaged. It's good to be safety minded of what's down range of that exhaust chute :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Do you remove the mower discharge deflector? You know, the black thing on the side of your mower that says do not remove?:lol:

My mower will fill through this gate if the deflector is up. I also wonder if clippings would disperse better? This mower doesn't disperse clippings nearly as far as the last one so I get the windrow effect. Then there's the wind. It seems to be windy every time I mow. This tends to kick up some dry clippings and the tractor gets a beard on the grill.

I may try this but figured I wanted to hear what you guys do.
I always mow with my deflector up. I simply use a 12" bungee cord to hold it up by drilling a hole in the end of the deflector and attaching the other end to the 4WD knob. I will occasionally lower it when cutting my back driveway. I allow the grass to grow up through the rock so that you do not notice the drive. It is amazing how much better the cut seems to be by raising it. It also allows me to cut much higher grass because it does not bog down. Gator blades help to!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
Removed every one I ever had.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I removed about half of the deflector parallel with the deck opening on my old rider and it still offered some projectile deflection and some degree of safety from the rotating blades and still allowed clippings to fan out and not windrow.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I took the deflector off as a science experiment prior to mowing yesterday. What a difference!.:lol:
Yea same here. Notice my rope !

I have a loop on operator end that goes around seatbelt. When I want flap up, I just pull rope and hook over the 3 point lever.

This gives me the option to run with it down when I am near neighbors or pointing towards house, etc.

Lays the grass out a lot nicer with the flap up.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts