Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of purchasing a mower for my 1025r. If my picture attachment was clear my property is 5 acres. The front and the back of the house just behind the detached building I would say is a normal lawn. The field from the back of the detached building to the farthest tree line is pretty rough. Timothy, weeds, grass, ant hills, a little bumpy ect. I would like to get it better in time. I keep it mowed down with a cub cadet 1050 right now takes about 2.5 hrs just the back and 1 hr for the "normal lawn". I am considering MMM or rotary finish mower. Would like your opinions and advice. I am wondering why you would not go for the 60d MMM over the 54? Thanks

Attachments

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
583 Posts
Personal preference. 60" does a nice job, but is prone to scalping if not perfectly level. If you are wanting to get done faster and not too concerned with the mow quality then I'd go with the 60". The 60" will allow you to mow closer to objects as well. If you want a nicer cut around the house then maybe go with a 54" mmm and get a 60" rear finish mower for the larger areas. Another option is to get a ztr mower. It will get the job done pretty fast and leave a better cut.

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I am currently in the process of purchasing a mower for my 1025r. If my picture attachment was clear my property is 5 acres. The front and the back of the house just behind the detached building I would say is a normal lawn. The field from the back of the detached building to the farthest tree line is pretty rough. Timothy, weeds, grass, ant hills, a little bumpy ect. I would like to get it better in time. I keep it mowed down with a cub cadet 1050 right now takes about 2.5 hrs just the back and 1 hr for the "normal lawn". I am considering MMM or rotary finish mower. Would like your opinions and advice. I am wondering why you would not go for the 60d MMM over the 54? Thanks
Plant more trees! Less mowing. But it looks like a zero turn would be in order on this.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
My 60" always did great for our 5 acres.
I am with you, no problems with the 60. Now, I will admit, mine is set at 3+ inches. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 60" always did great for our 5 acres. If I wanted to get finished sooner I would use the Swisher 60" for a 9' cutting swath

Wouldn't you want it offset to the left? I got the swisher but not the 3M

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will be making a final decision soon. Looks like I am leaning towards the 60d.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Back 40 004.JPG You might think about a lawn roller in the future to help smooth things out.Getting frost heaves out of the lawn will help with the ride and bouncing around.My back 500' was all old hay field very bumpy from years of frost.Took about 3 years of rolling weeding and seeding but got it pretty nice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
View attachment 150249 You might think about a lawn roller in the future to help smooth things out.Getting frost heaves out of the lawn will help with the ride and bouncing around.My back 500' was all old hay field very bumpy from years of frost.Took about 3 years of rolling weeding and seeding but got it pretty nice.
Excellent advice I am curious on this subject. More details would be great. I have a 60" steel lawn roller from tsc. Any more tips and advice would be appreciated. We still have snow on the ground and frost is still deep. But I take it soon as its out would be the best time to start rolling?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Wouldn't you want it offset to the left? I got the swisher but not the 3M

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk
Yes and no. I like it offset to the right so I can still trim with the edge of the tractor's deck.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm not a big fan of MMM. They are very expensive compared to a same size RFM. Also on the tractors I've had with MMM the front wheels lay down grass and the MMM deck isn't deep enough to suck the grass back up so it can be cut. This leaves strips of uncut grass. If you keep the grass short then this isn't as much of an issue. The shallow deck also has a more difficult time processing deep grass.

If you have lots of obstacles and keep your grass short then a MMM will be the best option but you may want to cost compare to a zero turn mower. By the time you buy a MMM and all the brackets for it you aren't far off of a ZTR.

If you have wide open spaces and tend to let your grass get long then a RFM is a better option. You may even be able to run a 72" RFM if it was a rear discharge as opposed to side chute depending on how long you let it get. The deeper deck of a RFM pulls the grass laid down by the tires back up so it can be cut and handles taller grass better. A rear discharge mower uses less power to discharge the grass than a comparable side chute model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts